Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another curses tileset  (Read 1143 times)

Klyith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Yet another curses tileset
« on: September 22, 2006, 01:09:00 am »

For 1120x600. It's an odd resolution, but I like it. If your desktop is 1280 and you want to play in a large but not totally fullscreen window, it is nice. The font is Franklin Gothic, a nice thick font that's very visible for acsii creatures, easy to read, and works pretty well in monospace. The tiles are rectangular but at a reasonable ratio (a 10x6 room appears square).

I have a few bits of "artistic" tiles in it, inspired by UncleSporky's tileset.

Anyone feel free to use or modify however you see fit.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Yet another curses tileset
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 01:36:00 am »

It looks like a lot of stuff would look pretty weird with that- like certain trees and statues.  Furthermore, mixing rudimentary images with ASCII characters seems like it would be pretty confusing.  Can we get some screenshots of it in action?

KatC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 02:59:00 pm »

Wonderful!  Just the resolution I was looking for, and the pictures are a nice bonus.  I've got a screenshot here...

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 07:53:00 pm »

My coworker and myself started poking around at the custom tilesets this week after I came across the initial post in this thread, and decided that we liked a few pieces from it, and then that we liked parts of the others on the wiki, and he plays in a particular resolution and wanted something to fit it....

So we made our own that borrowed bits from most of the other ones on the wiki (credit for said pieces noted, and given on the wiki, hope we got them all), as well as added some/several of our own creations.

There are a few characters replaced which are used in names, and look a bit odd there, but we were using the logic of "Most of the time we are looking at the fortress screen, so we'll take the hit in the odd cases" (IE, mostly accented characters, and the [ and " characters).  

The capital X used for Bins, Floodgates and Targets we gave the bin icon, since (at least for us) we typically have a dozen or so of the targets + gates, and well over a hundred bins.   This is the most jarring character, in most cases, since the cursor uses it as well, as do blinking dwarves under certain circumstances.

The tileset is designed to run at 1280x800 or 2560x1600.   We havent tested others, but they may work.

If you want to try it, it can be found at the bottom of the wiki page:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Tilesets

(My coworker submitted it, PopnROFL)

(edit to fix my inability to spell at the end of the work day)

[ October 12, 2006: Message edited by: Draxxalon ]

Nakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 09:04:00 pm »

I'm having trouble getting tilesets to work. The wiki is saying they're all .png files, which doesn't jive with the .bmp format of the standard tilesets. When I try to set them, I just get blocks of solid color instead of text on the menu screen. What am I messing up here? I'd really like to try a squared tileset/resolution but it's not working out.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 01:29:00 am »

Convert them back to BMP. Use Paint or Irfanview.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 02:06:00 am »

Are you sure converting them back to BMP works?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 02:20:00 am »

You have to make sure they get saved as 24 bit BMPs -- it might be saving them with less than that, since they don't use very many colors most of the time.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 05:47:00 am »

I don't like the dwarf bodies, but I can always edit it if I think I could do better ;-)

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2006, 01:57:00 am »

There is one on the wiki that I want to use, the 1280x960 curses tileset, but I swear I can't get it to work. The text was solid blocks of color first, then I saved as a 24 bit bmp, now its blocks of color with black pixels throughout. Still unusable.

Arawak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006, 08:40:00 pm »

Well did you change the resulution and the filename in init.txt?

all i can think of right now.

acking = in game steroids...
"when beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean''s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember, that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang.