Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed Brewing Workshop  (Read 5379 times)

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seed Brewing Workshop
« on: July 27, 2010, 05:43:01 pm »

This workshop allows you do directly brew seeds into alcohol.

It is designed to reduce the enormous seed stockpiles that can end up eating all your bags.

Allows you to pick a specific type of seed to brew
Converts 25 seeds into a single barrel of 25 alcohol of the normal type for that plant. If the plant can't normally be brewed you will get 'Sewer Brew' (the cheapest alcohol).
Each reaction uses 5 seeds, once 25 seeds of a certain type have been brewed you will get the barrel of booze (similar to melting items).

Use to safely reduce your seed stockpiles and recover bags and space (e.g. use job manager to add 20 'brew pig tail seed' jobs will consume 100 pig tail seeds and produce 4x25 dwarven beer)
It is recommended you build this as close a possible to your seed stockpile if you are going to process lots of seeds.

building_destillseed.txt (new file)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

reaction_destillseed.txt (new file)

entity_default.txt (add these entries)

ONLY REQUIRED IF YOU ARE USING CIVILIZATION FORGE (support for added plant types)
reaction_destillseed_cf_addon.txt (new file)

ONLY REQUIRED IF YOU ARE USING CIVILIZATION FORGE (support for added plant types)
you still require the other entity_default.txt changes above.
Entity_default.txt

Again feel free to use this as you will.
Drayath
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
Re: Seed Brewing Workshop
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:47:48 pm »

Interesting.... Normally I just cook all my odd seeds I don't want. But I can see where this could be useful.

Side note though... You will not get the hidden quality modifiers on your brew's
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:58 am »

It came about because after a few years farming i had a few thousand seeds, and cooking both got rid of them very slowly and fills your prepared meal stockpile up with small meals and there was no easy way to control what seeds were used.

As for the quality issue, not sure there is anything that can be done about that at the moment. The alternate was to convert to bags of 5 flour, but was avoided for the moment as very few plants have edible mill products and i was trying to avoid adding new items.

Hmm, i notice there is an [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:4] for creatures, wonder if there is something similar for reactions?
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:14:28 pm »

No, right now the quality of reaction products depends on the skill of the operator only.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 06:37:20 am »

I think that this is an intriguing mod (something practical to do with all that excess seed!) and would love to try it out in my next fortress, but I'm not exactly clear here on how I would install it.

I get that I should copy/paste the text into a new (or existing) file, but where does it actually go?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 06:52:39 am »

For everything that is labeled (new file) copy the contents of the spoiler section to a new file with the given name (in the dwarf fortress/raw/data/ folder).
For the entiy_default changes you need add the contents of the spoiler section to the existing entitiy_default.txt file, just before the first PERMITTED_REACTION is ideal.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 07:00:19 am »

Hmm...perhaps the problem is that I'm using the mayday graphics set mod.  I'm somewhat puzzled by the absence of any other folders in the /raw folder other than "graphic" and "object".
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 08:15:35 am »

sorry replace \raw\data with \raw\objects in the above post.

That's what you get by writing instruction from memory  :-\

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 09:13:37 pm »

What things would I have to edit in order to correct the typo and make it distill seeds?

Also, is it referred to consistently as a "Seed Brewery" in-game?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:16:24 pm by Hans Lemurson »
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:31:24 pm »

It should produce dwarven vodka, not the same type of alcohol as the plant.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 11:26:49 pm »

Where in the file "entity_default" do you put the additional information?

Would you be so kind as to provide installation intructions in the initial post?  Not everybody interested in using a mod knows all the necessary modding skills.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 04:32:58 am »

For everything that is labeled (new file) copy the contents of the spoiler section to a new file with the given name (in the dwarf fortress/raw/data/ folder).
For the entiy_default changes you need add the contents of the spoiler section to the existing entitiy_default.txt file, just before the first PERMITTED_REACTION is ideal.

It was told before. Read please :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 07:18:32 pm »

Wow, I can't believe I missed that.  Thanks, I'll see if I can get this working.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."