Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Pleb for Civility  (Read 2263 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Pleb for Civility
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:06:46 pm »

So I was inspired by this other thread on the forums. I'm not really sure what theyre talking about in there, but heres this idea:

There are some pretty cool new screenshots of farming towns and rural areas surrounding cities.  in the old Power Goals, there was something about expanding fortress mode (especially the idea of armies and nobility) to encompass some sort of abastract idea of minor towns (hill dwarfs, i guess) surrounding the actual fortress. 

Right now, Migrants come from the Mountain Homes and join your Fortress.  Later, maybe migrants go to these areas, or maybe migrants come from these areas to your fortress.

Thats the background, my suggestion is this:  Habitat and Personality traits should be related.  If a back-woods Plebeian comes to the City, they might have provincial attitudes.  likewise, a Dwarf's personality might influence where he decides to settle or migrate to.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
Re: A Pleb for Civility
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 04:31:18 pm »

Hmmm... I see potential in this.

First, I believe where migrants come from is really adressed. Probably the mountainhomes, or some other fortress. The fact that they can leave means they can probably be coming from anywhere.

And so, maybe you can send dwarfs from your fortress to settle the surrounding land, to bring back a specific resource over time. Like, farms bring food, lumber camps bring wood, quarries bring stone. Whatever. You can have a larger bustling population in your fortress when not everyone in your fortress actually lives there.

In the devlog, Toady said the ratio between farmers and towns was about 1 to 10. He said 1 to 2 was more realistic to keep things interesting, but for fortress mode, you could have most of your fortress population actually in surrounding villages and only the required folk in your fortress. That way when the army arc comes along, you have 10x your fortress population to draft.... hehe...

This is a great idea.
Meowth! That's right!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:26:43 pm »

Alright, the pun is what got me, but still...

What aspects of a dwarf would be linked up in this?  (Would this be some sort of sub-caste change?  Would you have to involve the ability to throw in social stratification of castes to make it work?)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:33:21 pm »

I think you would get dwarfs to come to you fortress, and you could choose some to go into the surrounding lands. You give them supplies, or tell them to join a settlement already built.

Maybe a bit like drafting into millitary. With the new millitary screen, you could have yearly lumber harvesting operations, or the like.
Meowth! That's right!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:52:09 am »

What aspects of a dwarf would be linked up in this?  (Would this be some sort of sub-caste change?  Would you have to involve the ability to throw in social stratification of castes to make it work?)

well, there used to be the guild system.  so maybe you would get farmers or fishers or surface adapted dwarfs from the outlaying areas, who fit into surface related professions.  or maybe it would be a sub-caste of the other guilds, once they go back in. 

i think you'd need social stratification for it to have any real IMPACT, but it could work without it.  for example, you could suggest that country-dwellers (excepting maybe miners) tend to be stronger and tougher, as they live on the frontier and deal with elements and seasons and other surface dwellers.  artists might tend towards cities, so you're more likely to get creative types there.

but for it to really be felt, you would need to have it come up as a factor in relationship forming.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:30:36 am »

Social stratification like this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61620.0 ?

I'm basically wondering how you would actually, mechanically, start setting this up: Is this a part of the entity raws, where we have a cultural difference that might move attributes up or down and mess with what jobs are taken in what ratios or some such, or are we talking about a difference from a creature standpoint, where they have personality traits that are based upon what locality they are coming from?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 01:16:04 am »

I'd probably lean toward the former.

by linking it to the entity, conquered races will adopt the mores of their adoptive society.  much as they do now.  by linking it to the creature, you could do other interesting things, such as making conquered races ostricized or possibly leading to race-revolts if your kidnapped elves start outnumbering the goblins, or whatever.

Your other thread covers things pretty well.  nicely articulated.