Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf school for dwarf children!  (Read 4012 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Dwarf school for dwarf children!
« on: July 28, 2010, 01:43:33 am »

Sorry if this idea has been proposed before, but nothing came up on search, so I assume the idea hasn't been proposed before.

Intro
Dwarven children take quite a long time to mature (12 years), and even when they do, they don’t exactly contribute that much due to the fact that they are essentially skill-less. Even if they have attained legendary (strange mood) while in their adolescent years, they forget everything upon reaching adulthood, which means that you essentially spend 12 years nurturing a dwarf that will eventually become nothing more than a skill-less laborer without further training.
Soo… what I’m proposing is to set up a dwarven school just for children.

Purpose of school-   To increase stats and abilities of children so that they don’t come out as useless peasants once they grow up

How it works

The school area is designated by pressing “I” and setting the area in the same way as a hospital area is set.
Alternatively, it can also be set by designating a table as one if everyone thinks this is more realistic.
The school settings can then be altered to how things will work.

Assigning the students
Children can be assigned as students to the school (in the same way dwarves are drafted into the military) where they will begin learning under the guidance of an older and more experienced dwarf.

Hiring the teacher
A dwarf (or dwarves if you like multiple teachers) is then manually assigned to the school and will begin teaching the subject assigned. Dwarven teachers teach better/faster the greater their skill level is in the teaching ability as well as the subject they’re teaching. The subject to be taught can be assigned to change monthly in the same way military scheduling [is supposed to] work. Dwarves who teach students will slowly gain exp in the teaching skill.

Happiness
Going to school will give children a bad thought. This can be alleviated by assigning high quality chairs and desks to the classroom. Thoughts may also be affected depending on the personality of the teaching dwarf (does the teacher have a lot of patience? Does the teacher have good conversation skills?)

Other
Multiple school sections can be designated for more control over what the students learn.
Dwarf tutors can be designated by simply ordering 1 student and 1 teacher to 1 school section.

So, thoughts on dwarf school?

tl;dr version on how this works
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S, how to I make a poll?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:55:35 am by noodle0117 »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Dwarf school for dwarf children!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 01:56:31 am »

What were your search terms?  'Schools' brings up quite a lot of stuff.

Quite a lot of those are old, but the first one is from a few months back.  Personally, schools seem too sophisticated for dwarves, and apprenticeships would make more sense for the times, and population levels.  And it ties into guilds. 

You make a poll when you make the thread, there ought'a be a box you tick.

Edit:  As a personal view, I hope that the future of DF requires the use of quite a lot of 'useless' peasants for simple farming and unskilled labor, as was the case in Olden Dayes.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:01:51 am »

oh, so should i delete this thread then?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:05:22 am »

You don't need to lock it or anything, there's just not much to talk about other than specific implementations.   Schools and apprenticeships are pretty high up there in the 'are planned' cloud.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 07:50:30 am »

Wouldn't mind if toady was able to make modders able to implement it and have modders use instead of being in the vanilla game though.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:56:28 am »

Wouldn't mind if toady was able to make modders able to implement it and have modders use instead of being in the vanilla game though.

We already have the ability to attach training any given skill to any given workshop/task.  All we would need is to have workshops that allow for more than one dwarf working at once so that one dwarf could be a "teacher" dwarf, and others could be "student" dwarves, plus making the teaching mechanic in the military some kind of raw token for use in other buildings...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:10:32 am »

Erm, sorry, for some reason when I was replying in the technology suggestion thread the reply ended up to here rather then there.