Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Daycare Implementation  (Read 1605 times)

BlackBart

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarven Daycare Implementation
« on: July 28, 2010, 02:51:00 am »

Ok, I know suggestions come up about this and related topics occasionally. This is just my take on the general idea.

Have Playground or Daycare as an activity zone. It could work similar to hospitals in that you setup the zone, and there are just items you can add to it to increase it's benefits.

Item one: Toy bins.
Item two: Mini Workshops (there are *Dwarf* kids after all, slides and stuff are for elves.)
Item three: Caretakers.

Ok, basically the zone would work similar to a meeting zone, except adults would ignore it for the most part. Kids in the zone would get some happy thoughts plus gain a few skills depending on what is in the zone.

If nothing is in the zone, they would just gain some social skills.
If there are toy bins, they can gain a skill related to the toys they play with most. (Dabbling - Novice level).
The mini workshops would be basically a 2x2 workshop just like an adult workshop, but would not produce anything, and would allow the child to train up to a competent level of skill.

And having a Caretaker assigned who can work in the zone would have several benifits. (this could be added as a profession (Childcare)).
1. The kids could learn faster or better (could make it possible to gain another skill level).
2. The caretaker could clean up after the kids, or ensure they clean up after themselves. (Mainly putting toys back in bins).
3. They could swap toys for higher quality ones. Or replace broken toys.
etc...

Really the main idea I wanted to suggest was just setting it up as a zone.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Daycare Implementation
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:06:23 am »

First off, there's this.

Secondly, there's this.

Can't forget about this.

This one's about babies, but still similar.

And then there's this.

There's many more, that's just all I care to post right now.

[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:03:00 am »

The mini workshops would be basically a 2x2 workshop just like an adult workshop, but would not produce anything, and would allow the child to train up to a competent level of skill.

Baby's first magma smelter?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TaintedMustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 10:24:03 am »

Baby's first magma smelter?

Sounds about right to me.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 02:58:21 pm »

baby's first magma  smelter or a first magma baby smelter (one that smelts the babies)?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.