Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another hauling suggestion  (Read 1106 times)

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet another hauling suggestion
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:25:49 am »

It would be useful if a container could be assigned to a circuit of an even number of stockpiles, with the activity for the container at each stockpile being filling or emptying. If the activity at one stockpile is emptying, the activity at the next must be filling. This would improve efficiency by make longer hauls carry containers full of items, and shorter hauls carry individual items.

A cloth industry example:

Loom output cloth stockpile: fill bin with undyed cloth, and when it's full, haul it to ...
   Dyer's input cloth stockpile: take undyed cloth from bin to dyer's workshop to dye it, and when bin is empty haul it to ...
   Dyer's output cloth stockpile: fill bin with dyed cloth, and when it's full, haul it to ...
   Clothier's input cloth stockpile: take dyed cloth from bin to clothier's workshop to make finished goods, and when bin is empty haul it to ...

and repeat.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another hauling suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:47:54 am »

So effectively a bin at workshop?
Sounds interesting, hauler only grab those when either...
1. It is full.
2. Someone else need something from it.

Interesting ideas.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another hauling suggestion
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:49:04 pm »

Would certainly be a very useful upgrade I say.

Myself though I don't use bins much because the differance it makes to my fortresses is fairly minimal.. but with This sort of system it would become a very important part quickly.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.