Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Kobold Quest port status?  (Read 12407 times)

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Quest port status?
« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

Cider has been mentioned before... and passed on, if I recall correctly.

Seeing as how DF is pretty much running on the Mac (specifically, Toady's Mac), I don't see that Cider is necessary. As I understand it, DF uses little platform-specific code, and much of that has been accommodated in code that Toady now owns.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 15, 2008, 11:02:00 pm »

I've got the fullscreen toggle 1/2 working... well, about 40%.

It switches from window to fullscreen now, but something weird is going on switching back. I may have to hook up a 2nd monitor so I can debug properly.

The textures are also going a bit weird when switching. It's not unplayable, but it's like they're lower rez or something. Weird...

Anyway, should have it all good soon...

poesel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2008, 10:11:00 am »

Just a report that KQ 1.05 works on a PPC G4 with 10.5.1 (Powerbook).

What does not work is going fullscreen: I get big blocky graphics and it won't switch bach to windowed. Pressing Alt-Aplle-Esc crashes KQ.

Also I don't seem to be able to kill adventurers. Maybe I'm stupid but they just walk over pits and throwing critters at them make them flashing but nothing else happens.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by poesel:
<STRONG>Just a report that KQ 1.05 works on a PPC G4 with 10.5.1 (Powerbook).

Thanks for the report...

quote:
What does not work is going fullscreen: I get big blocky graphics and it won't switch bach to windowed. Pressing Alt-Aplle-Esc crashes KQ.

Yeah, I'm dealing with the fullscreen/window switching code now.

quote:
Also I don't seem to be able to kill adventurers. Maybe I'm stupid but they just walk over pits and throwing critters at them make them flashing but nothing else happens.</STRONG>

As I understand it, throwing critters is generally a last resort... you need to rely on the pits more.  Pick up a critter, drop him in a pit, then cover the pit. (Adding multiple critters to a pit is also good...)  Then keep the pit between you and the adventurer... assuming he didn't actually see you cover it, in which case I believe he'll avoid it.

poesel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

Just for the stupid (like me): you need to press 'enter' after you throw...   :cool:

taargus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2008, 11:05:00 pm »

any updates for the dwarf fortress port?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2008, 11:09:00 pm »

The situation hasn't changed.  I'm hoping to release an attempt at a Mac version with the next DF.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2008, 02:09:00 pm »

I have the fullscreen swap 90% working now. It's usable and seems stable. There are three remaining things I'd like to do.

1. Make it fully robust. While it is most likely robust as it is, I have this nagging feeling that there might be cases where it would get stuck in fullscreen mode and the user won't be able to switch away, forcing power off and reboot. I'll have to check this further...

2. Textures still get slightly mangled when switching to the other mode from which you started. It's still playable, just not as pretty. Have to look into this more.

3. Windows of other apps are getting moved/resized due to the screen change... It's not supposed to happen; trying to figure out why.

Anyway, will be sending you the revised code later today, Toady.

[ January 28, 2008: Message edited by: mattmoss ]

Trukkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

Holy crap, it took me half an hour to get KQ to compile properly on a fresh install of VC++ 2008 on windows (I'm still a beginner and had to switch it to the glut libs, then fight fmod). My hat is off to you guys forging ahead on Macs.
He needs distractions to get through the working day.

taargus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

There's still going to be a mac port right?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2008, 10:11:00 pm »

From dev log:
quote:

Mac portage... there are still various gigantic problems with the peripherals (sound/movies/BMP export/etc.), but there was quite a bit of progress. I generated a world with the same seed on both of my computers and got the same exact map and history. It was a bit of a chore though since the order of RNG calls between MSVC and XCode was different based on compiler optimizations (so I had to break some expressions up, once I found out what was going on). I can't guarantee there won't be a lot of addition problems along these lines. I then went on to mine a tunnel in dwarf mode and join a temple in adventure mode. Speed was fine, except in a few places where the number of refreshes needs to be cut down (unit offloading is the big one).

I'm at a point where I can't continue without some email correspondence, so I'm going to release the Windows version now. I'll just be bug fixing with more frequent releases for a while though, so as soon as the main Mac issues are handled I can get the port out with one of those. I have the actual code transfer/Mac compile/archive process down to about a half hour which I can mostly spend working on other release procedures, so once the initial problems are sorted out everything should actually go smoothly from now on.

eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>From dev log:
</STRONG>

I've been AWOL (stupid job) but probably have a few hours this weekend if there's anything specific I could help out on. Is music still broken in Kobold Quest? I could work on that if it's the same system used in Dwarf Fortress...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

We haven't chosen between upgrading to a new fmod or using something else (it would have to have a permissive license of course), preferably something that will work with Intel and PPC.  I think the issue was that the older versions of fmod didn't work on both Intel/PPC?  In any case, any suggestions here are welcome.  I have no idea how sound is handled on a Mac.  Dropping in a new music_and_sound_osx.cpp that is mostly compatible with the commands I'm currently using should work for DF, although I'd need a way to refer to the songs that is fmod/new library independent if we end up going over to something else, so that the windows version can be made to work within the same framework.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

Seeing as how it's ogg vorbis files, it might not be a big deal to compile libogg (which I imagine has a decent license, though not sure) and pump output from that into whatever runs the Mac audio system. Unfortunately, that's one area I know nothing about.

Another option might be taking the tabs I saw in another thread and putting that into midi. But again, that's another area I've never dealt with.  For either of these, I don't imagine it's that difficult, but it would take time to figure out, and for the next month or two, my time is going to be extremely limited. (Moving)

eli, if that's something you know about, please have a crack at it.

eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2008, 11:48:00 pm »

I got the "old" (3.75 - is that what you use?) version of fmod going on the my intel MBP, seems to work fine. <<EDIT>> 10.3 PPC actually works fine too - it was a weird issue with file permissions from transferring on my usb thumb drive.<<>>

The changes were very minor, most of my time was spent being stupid and missing the line right in front of my nose where it tried to set fmod to use DirectSound output (nice sanity checking, guys.)

[ February 14, 2008: Message edited by: eli ]

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13