Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Kobold Quest port status?  (Read 12357 times)

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Quest port status?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 08:09:00 pm »

Here's a patch against popecharlotte's build (and a source tarball, if you'd rather just grab that) that will compile and run on a Mac, given certain restrictions:

-it assumes that you have the Linuxy sort of install of SDL in the /usr/local tree.
-it reaches in to the system openGL framework for includes and libraries, which is vaguely obscene.

but, on the up side, it only took me about 10 minutes to roll it up from popecharlotte's tarball.

I also added a few casts in places where we were passing unsigned int pointers to interfaces that really want a GLuint pointer.

unified diff:  http://www.tleaves.com/kobold/kobold-mac-diff

source tarball: http://www.tleaves.com/kobold/kobold-mac.tgz

When I have time i'll try to create an Xcode project for this so it can be made into a "real" app.

[ October 19, 2006: Message edited by: peterb ]

[ October 19, 2006: Message edited by: peterb ]

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 09:39:00 pm »

Got it building in Xcode.
http://tleaves.com/kobold/KoboldQuest.mac.for-xcode.tgz

For now, the "data" directory has to be manually put in the same directory as the app.  Eventually what should happen is it should just keep and load that stuff from the bundle, but I'm too lazy to do it tonight.

popecharlotte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 08:21:00 am »

I've now got keyboard input working (kinda) as well as sound. I'll have a look at peterb's stuff this afternoon to see if I can integrate it.

New version can be found here.

popecharlotte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 01:45:00 pm »

New version here. Mostly just tidying up (getting rid of all the warnings from -Wall). Also note that loading saves and viewing high scores case segfaults at the moment.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 06:05:00 pm »

I just made the source in Ubuntu; worked! Observations:

-The mouse does not change to the kobold pointer.
-In the cave name section, several keys do not produce any letters. Alphanumerics not appearing are: "cdegikpqst0123456789"
-All letters that are produced are lower case, regardless of caps lock and shift.
-Once the game starts, you can mouse-click between kobolds, but the number keys don't move them. (My laptop lacks a numberpad, so I can't check that.) Period also does not cause time to pass.
-The key-binding menu in options will not accept any input to change the controls.

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 08:39:00 pm »

Ignore my errors/warnings comment -- I was still using NO_FMOD in the project file.

Seems to work -- I get music, sound, and keyboard input, although the keybindings are tragic for mac users (many of us don't have numeric keypads, especially on laptops).

I was unable to change any keybindings, as per the earlier report.

Note that I did nothing to the source to make this compile -- I just took popecharlotte's last source drop and copied the files in.  The only tweaks I made were to the project file.

I've uploaded new binary and source packages.  If someone with a mac could download the binary and let me know that it works for them, that would be great.

src: http://tleaves.com/kobold/KoboldQuest-src.tgz  

binary: http://tleaves.com/kobold/KoboldQuest.tgz

[ October 20, 2006: Message edited by: peterb ]

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 09:46:00 pm »

I just downloaded the binary and tried it out. Alas, all I got was a message saying "You can not open the application 'Kobold Quest' because it may be damaged or incomplete." I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm running OS 10.3.9 on a G4.

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 09:48:00 pm »

I think the reason for that is that I linked against the internal zlib, when I should have used the MacOS standard zlib.  I'm uploading a new version now.  I'll get a friend of mine to test it out before demanding that you download it all over again :-)

popecharlotte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2006, 01:18:00 pm »

I think I've sorted out all the keyboard stuff now. New version here.

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »

Can I get you to change the zlib includes in game_g.h and enabler.cpp to look like this?

#ifdef MAC
#include <zlib>
#else
#include "zlib/zlib.h"
#endif

Thanks.

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2006, 09:29:00 pm »

Well, I don't know if your friend tried it yet, but I downloaded the new version of the Kobold Quest port anyway. The good news is that it starts, and the music plays. The bad news is that it automatically quits as soon as I click on "Play", without a message or anything. It doesn't crash if I click on "View High Scores", though- that seems to be working. Also, there seem to be some display issues still- the kobold picture at the beginning doesn't show up, and the text is cyan highlighted in light green. As you can imagine, it's pretty close to being unreadable.  

Still, this is exciting, and I'm grateful to everyone who's been working on the ports- this is closer than anyone's come so far, and I'm sure it won't take much more to work out the bugs. The dream of Mac and Linux versions of Dwarf Fortress may come true yet...

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2006, 08:30:00 am »

I'm in that weird state where it works on my machine, but not on any other Mac I run it on.  Typically this means that I'm inadvertently relying on some library in my home directory that isn't being packaged correctly into the application bundle.  I won't have time to look at this again until next weekend, but I'll make sure the source package is up-to-date so that if you get impatient you can build it yourself :-)

popecharlotte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2006, 01:20:00 pm »

New version here. We now have transparency, mouse cursor, title image and key repeat.

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2006, 09:43:00 pm »

I got the Mac version working on multiple platforms, finally.  Universal binary is available here:
http://tleaves.com/kobold/KoboldQuest.tgz

Source code here:
http://tleaves.com/kobold/KoboldQuest-src.tgz

No source code changes needed to make it compile.

One heads up for the future:  it's pretty clear to me that the save file format is super-unportable.  You might want to think about that as an area to work on, although it's obviously not a top priority.  (In fact, it was the fact that I accidentally packaged the save file with the binary that hosed me on last week's build).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2006, 10:39:00 pm »

Was that to me or popecharlotte?  What about the file format needs to be changed?  I don't know anything about the file system for Mac.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13