Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Kobold Quest port status?  (Read 12200 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Quest port status?
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2007, 07:58:00 pm »

the newest version of the apple OS basically just runs on top of BSD.  you could PROBABLY make something work for both if you ran something like free-BSD which is, you know, free.

but then you have to maintain at least two copies of everything, and do cross-platform testing on each release.  it doesnt exactly double the workload and bug reports, but it sure dosent reduce either of them.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »

I imagine most of the source files will be exact copies between the two machines, if two machines is the way to go.  Handling the strange bugs that I don't even understand because I don't work with these other operating systems will likely be the hard part.  Any other thoughts on the OS setup from people that wanted ports?  I need to be 100% clear on this before I can proceed.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I imagine most of the source files will be exact copies between the two machines, if two machines is the way to go.  Handling the strange bugs that I don't even understand because I don't work with these other operating systems will likely be the hard part.  Any other thoughts on the OS setup from people that wanted ports?  I need to be 100% clear on this before I can proceed.</STRONG>

Well, for starters most linux distributions (and all the good ones, imo) are completely free. You can run OS X, linux and windows on one single computer, you can even run all three OS'es at the same time.

Look into something like VMware, it's an application that allows you to run several virtual machines on one physical machine. The standard server version is free.

So in order to run linux, you just install vmware and some linux distro on the virtual machine. If you're not familiar with linux, go with something like Ubuntu. It's popular and user-friendly.

[ January 13, 2007: Message edited by: odd2k ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »

I'm downloading VMware Server.  I'll let you know when I have questions...

[ January 13, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

Ubuntu is coming in over 4 hours...  the VMware virtual machine is set up, and I guess it wants me to burn the Ubuntu ISO onto a CD for it.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2007, 07:54:00 pm »

Hm....is it really a good idea to make Linux and Mac versions? That will slow down the development a lot I guess.
Probably 80+% of the people are using Windows anyways. Also there are lot of cheap latptops for sale, everyone can buy one and run windowns on that.   :)

[ January 13, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2007, 11:43:00 pm »

I'd rather have them pass on the laptop and donate directly if they can spring that much for DF, he he he.

So, I have a VMware virtual Ubuntu computer, and I played that faux-"mahjongg" matching game on it, so it seems to work fine.

I have a few questions.

• What should I use to compile KQ on this Ubuntu system?  Did we test a linux version yet?

• Will this approach work with the Mac?  OS X was mentioned as a VMware candidate, but I didn't see it in the list and I don't know where to obtain it if that's possible.

edit:  From what I've been reading, up to August 2006, OS X isn't really available unless you are running on Apple hardware, and they've resisted virtualization.  I do not know the current situation.

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2007, 01:12:00 am »

Apparently, it's possible to install and run OS X as a guest on vmware in windows. Read the following:
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware_how_to

It's not exactly legal though. Although I wouldn't feel terribly bad about buying OS X and installing it virtually, illegal or not. It's not exactly piracy.

As for compiling on linux, you usually need a make file. Most programs are compiled by calling make, which reads the make file and in turn calls the compiler/assembler/etc.

Look into autoconf and automake, I believe that's what most people use. You'll need gcc(and gcc-g++ if you're compiling c++ code), as well as gnu make, autoconf, automake, and some other annoying dependencies that I can't remember. Just google whatever error messages you get.

Oh, and there is a working linux port for kobold quest, lastest I could find was posted by popecharlotte on page 2:
http://johnbrawn.cabspace.com/kobold-20061030.tgz

By the looks of the makefile, you just have to enter the 'kobold' directory and issue 'make kobold', and that should be it. If you're unfamiliar with using the prompt, just goto tldp.org and read a quick bash tutorial.

[ January 14, 2007: Message edited by: odd2k ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2007, 02:24:00 am »

Okay, I've got the compiler running, and I've got KQ giving me reasonable errors about SDL and opengl (because they aren't installed yet).  Work in progress...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

Okay, KQ compiled and ran under Ubuntu in the virtual machine.  Seemed fine.  Very laggy, but that's the virtual computer -- Mahjongg was laggy.

edit:  I had found that same article when I was looking for OS X information, and I'm not going that way...  I guess I'll have to figure out something else for Mac.

[ January 14, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2007, 06:16:00 am »

Hope you didn't waste too much time farting around with that stuff Toad...

Now, question, would be useful to have KQ on a public source control system? I don't really see how platform-experts can be expected to track changes when everyone's working off their own master. Hosting it on Bay12 would be yet more pointless distractiveness for the Toad, I don't like sourceforge much... anyone used this yet? Or other suggestions?

X

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2007, 01:22:00 am »

Bits of the linux KQ are from Wine (LGPL)?  The other changes don't seem to have an accompanying copyright or license either (the license I distributed is unaltered, but it only has my name in it, so it's unclear what the status of the additions is, and the stuff from Wine can't be put under BSD, since it doesn't have a modification clause).  That's fine for this thread -- I'm just noting that I can't use this as it is for DF.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2007, 09:14:00 am »

I don't run Linux or Mac but I think being portable is a good idea.  It forces you to avoid Windows specific functions, so when Microsoft decides to deprecate something, it still works on the newer versions.

Look up the Bloodshed C++ IDE, it uses MinGW which uses GNU c++.  GNU c++ is available on a lot of platforms.

chiaruscuro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2007, 11:35:00 am »

Hi! New guy here...

Basically I followed this old thread it its entirety this morning and was disapointed to find that the link to the most recent mac os x port/build was dead  :(

I would really love to try this game out, can anyone put the link back up?  I will be trying the irc channel otherwise...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2007, 07:46:00 pm »

I think the Mac KQ is based on the Linux KQ, which has bits under LGPL, so I didn't host it on the main page.  Somebody else might have a copy.

chiaruscuro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2007, 10:26:00 am »

Ok, thank you.  If you know anyone in particular you could always let them know (by sending me a prvate message via the forum), but I'll try the irc chan   :cool:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13