Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Kobold Quest port status?  (Read 12196 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Kobold Quest port status?
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2008, 07:36:00 am »

I'm using 3.7.4.  I can upgrade windows DF to 3.7.5 though, assuming they didn't change everything around, and they've still got a file for me to snatch.

[ February 14, 2008: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

Toady, I want to thank you so much for your progress so far on making an OS X version - running DF in virtual PC makes it run extremely slowly, so I can't wait until I can play DF at it's intended speed!
Keep up the great work, all of us mac geeks are really really excited!  :D

xomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2008, 09:15:00 am »

For what it's worth, DF wrapped with Cider runs at exactly the same speed as DF launched with Crossover (and I assume WINE) on a quick test fortress.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2008, 03:46:00 am »

I've made the movie code OS independent and I've now got the intro movie running with sound on the Mac version of DF.  Most of the remaining issues are fairly minor and I'll probably put up a version with the next Windows version of DF (late Saturdayish being the current plan).  The fullscreen toggle is still mysteriously only working in Mac KQ, but you can probably live without that until it's sorted out.

edit: He he he, full screen toggle suddenly started working for no reason!  This is both good and bad, but I'll let the bad slide for now and possiblye forever.

[ February 20, 2008: Message edited by: Toady One ]

xomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

Haha, awesome. I haven't been this excited about something since Christmas as a child. That's both funny and depressing at the same time.

Don't worry too much about fullscreen on the Mac. I'm new to them myself and can't speak for everybody, but in general a lot of Mac users seem to prefer running apps and games in a window. Most are also going to have LCD screens these days, which can look like ass when forced into non-default resolutions or aspect ratios and seems to disable task-switching for me.

ps: I've been running the game in Crossover/Wine since switching to a Mac, and it seems to be locked at a solid 21-22 FPS regardless of how large or complicated the fort is (within reason). Feels like a bottleneck somewhere, either in Crossover, my system, or DF itself.

fifelfoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

Oh great ones, the port rocketh most highly.

However, being used to a variety of interfaces, DF's interface is, uh, well there's a bug logged about it, but its status is future.

I note, for example, the following systems of movement / resizing (in today's world, equivalent tasks).  Sometimes its legitimate that two would be needed (left pane / right pane).  But in others, like lists, sometimes its -/+ for the left list and arrows for the right.

Types of movement & resizing tools:
wasd
wasdx
uhkm
shift-uhkm (alongside uhkm)
-/+
arrow-keys

Similarly for selection / quantity
space
enter
left/right-keys
-/+

For abort / dismiss
space
enter
F8/F9
tab

Additionally, there are some interesting interface flow issues, sometimes (for instance Dwarf management via [j]obs or nits) abort/dismiss returns to Map, instead of to prior menu.  Other times abort/dismiss returns to prior menu.

Some panes/panels aren't available from logical places.  Found I was incorrect about: [[From Zoom to Dwarf, the option of View Dwarf mood / relationship isn't available, and from View Dwarf the option to zoom to General / Labour assignment isn't available.]]

But: this is bitching from someone used to the (relatively) integrated and controlled Mac interface, someone who's a Human Interface Guidelines lover, reads Style Manuals for fun, and is into typography.  Learning the DF interface idiosyncracies is possible, but its frustrating on about the same level as obsessive / compulsive stone management.
null

[ April 01, 2008: Message edited by: fifelfoo ]

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

Not to thread hijack (and yet here I go), but I have been playing DF off and on for some time now and I have to say that I can't even conceive of there being interface problems! lol

Clearly, I have spent far, far too many hours playing the game.

The only interface problem I have is going from a full keyboard to my laptop - now that can be weird.   :)

Zardus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2008, 01:06:00 am »

I was browsing the DF FAQ, which led me here through the "When is DF for Linux coming out" question. The thread spans over 1.5 years and nothing is clear, though, so I was wondering if someone would summarize it for me:

1. Is anyone working on porting Kobold Quest to Linux?
2. Was SDL ruled out (because of the LGPL or otherwise) or will Toady One accept a port using this route (for the purpose of furthering it into a Linux DF)?
3. Is there any abandoned or otherwise in-progress KQ port? What's its status/license?

Sorry for my laziness. I didn't want to read a year and a half worth of posts and come to the wrong conclusions.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 29, 2008, 03:33:00 am »

1.  Not that I know of, though there was a recent discussion in a Linux thread in the suggestions forum that made it sound like there were a few people interested in looking at it again.

2.  I don't remember the particulars with SDL, but if I remember, I didn't want to use it.

3.  I have something that nornagon cooked up for KQ 1.02.  I think there was some roughness with it, and I haven't gotten a chance to look at it, and he's been busy.  I can't find a licensing discussion in my email with him, so I can't post the source at this point.  I doubt there'd be a problem, but since I don't have time to look at it until later, I haven't contacted him.

So in the end, I might have something I can or can't use.  Maybe not best to rush forward with another port in that environment.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tarsier:
<STRONG>Toady, I want to thank you so much for your progress so far on making an OS X version - running DF in virtual PC makes it run extremely slowly, so I can't wait until I can play DF at it's intended speed!
Keep up the great work, all of us mac geeks are really really excited!   :D</STRONG>

Me too and I have a Pc!  Low key jab at framerate optimization.......

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]