Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attached to Training Weapon  (Read 6040 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attached to Training Weapon
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:07:14 pm »

Two of my dwarves have now grown attached to wooden training weapons. Is there any way to get them to wield real weapons again in the future, and if not, is there any way to prevent the rest of my military from following suit? Short of never giving them training weapons in the first place, and just making sure they all train in full plate instead?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Black Bellamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Attached to Training Weapon
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:29:47 pm »

My workaround has been to have them train with real weapons :)   My medical staff is kept busy and I made peace with the fact that I'm going to lose a guy here and there.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:39:59 pm »

Ok. So, the ones who're already attached... I guess I just make them into drill instructors, or what?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:24:15 pm »

Yeah, I go by "no training weapons" too - except training axes as they can cut down trees. Those attachced to training weapons... send them to 'practice' on some live animals in some small room (so the animals don't run away endlessly). Then they'll be fit to be instructors I guess. Maybe they can buy some time in a real fight for marksdwarves to shoot.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 02:31:55 pm »

Well, my fortress is young and small, yet- those are actually the only two soldiers I have, and they're both legendary fighters. I think by the time I get more men, they'll be fit to be drill instructors anyway.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:40:12 pm »

Yeah, I go by "no training weapons" too - except training axes as they can cut down trees. Those attachced to training weapons... send them to 'practice' on some live animals in some small room (so the animals don't run away endlessly). Then they'll be fit to be instructors I guess. Maybe they can buy some time in a real fight for marksdwarves to shoot.

Wait a minute...you can chop down trees with a wooden axe?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 06:43:03 am »

Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 10:35:13 am »

Yep i had this in my last fort but im' pretty sure the guy used metal axe when fighting. In fact attached shouldn't mean he will fight with it, it just mean he want it for him and only for him even when he go to sleep, you know like a wife...

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 04:31:23 pm »

Have you tried modifying their assignment so that that weapon class is no longer allowed?  from the dev log on 11/19, that's supposed to force them to upgrade.