Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Concerning rivers  (Read 4655 times)

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Concerning rivers
« on: July 29, 2010, 02:55:16 pm »

I've a couple questions here, so bear with me or something.

First, how does one make a major river more likely to appear in world generation?
Second, is there a way to make sure my embark on a major river hits a point at which it waterfalls?
Third, is there a way to jam constructions into a waterfall/riverbed outside of freezing?
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Concerning rivers
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 03:08:05 pm »

1) [RIVER_MINS:800:800]
2) embark screen -> <tab> x4 -> slope chart (7+ at the point two rivers meet should get you a fairly large waterfall)
3) Magma for obsidian casting.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:09:36 pm »

Dun dun dun DA! C4lv1n to the rescue!

1. More rainfall, less drainage. (Also causes more forests)
2. The point that one river hits another is almost always a waterfall.
3. Pump out the water faster then it fills back up. Dwarves can build in 1/7, but not any higher.
4. Pie!
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:15:29 pm »

Thanks guys. Now I can put my (mostly) construction only river bridge megafort into action.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:37:14 pm »

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:46:23 pm »

I thought constructed walls deconstruct when they fall, although I haven't personally tested this.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:51:16 pm »

I thought constructed walls deconstruct when they fall, although I haven't personally tested this.

They do, so this method is only possible if you have natural ground above your river at some point or if you can cast obsidian above it.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 05:00:12 pm »

Avoid island worlds, they do not generate any great rivers.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 09:50:47 pm »

What you can do for damming:

1: Hollow out an alternate route for the river. It can be a big empty chamber, go into an underground sea, whatever. It just has to absorb a lot of water. To make the entry for it, Dig directly under the river, so there is just a thin layer of floor between the two. Make sure you undermine the entire width of the river.

2: Set up a closing mechanism inside the detour. I recommend bridges. They need to be able to completely close off the drain, so that the river can resume its normal course.

3: Build a large structure over the river made out of floors, directly over the undermined ground.

4: Using some method of deconstruction, cause the structure to collapse. It will plummet down, break through the floor of the river, and redirect it underground.

5: Build your dam quickly in the dry section. Then close off the reservoir.

You can also try making two collapsing sections, so that the riverbed between them does not get affected by any backflow from downriver.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 05:43:11 am »

Or you simply make a very large drain on the start of the river.(make shure the drain is level lower then the river)   while the river is draining you can work from the outside in order to connect it and you might want to make floodgates in order to shut if off.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 05:55:24 am »

Or abuse the water pressure system and build screw pumps all long the river as close to the edge as possible, pumping water back the way it is flowing from. To prevent flooding your map, using bridges places either side, extending to the edge of the map, to force all of the water you pump to go off the edge of the map. Have the whole thing powered by a set of windmills. Once the river is drained, dam it however you want to.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 08:23:21 am »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 11:12:10 am »

I'm sigging that. Thanks for the help, you folk.