Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions organization on the Wiki  (Read 2045 times)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestions organization on the Wiki
« on: July 29, 2010, 08:18:49 pm »

I decided I'd like to go ahead and take some initiative and expand on the original sticky post in the suggestion forum here.

What I had in mind was creating an index of general suggestions that have been offered here (and elsewhere) for the game along with links to discussions about the suggestions.

This could exist to assist two different groups in these ways:

• People who have ideas about how to improve DF - People with ideas will be able to check out related ideas in an organized index.  This isn't just to see if there idea has already came up, because people who just ignore search will ignore this.  But this is also to allow people with ideas to see if Toady or other people have given input on their idea or expanded upon it already, or even if it is already considered as an addition to the game in the future.  This index would be valuable to those who frequent the suggestion forum so they can point new posters (in a friendly manner) to discussions about similar topics that may help them develop their idea or realize it had already been discussed at length.
  • Developers (Toady + Baugn) - It appears that Toady develops many of his ideas himself but he certainly takes a significant amount of input from the players, which is where things like the eternal suggestion voting have came from.  Because he is a busy person and there are mountains of ideas (some good, most not so great) it might be useful to organize suggestions into themes so that when he starts working on some items within a particular theme he can easily reference other ideas that could help expand on the idea.  Because Toady started the initial topic about this in the suggestion forum, I feel he would likely find value in a very good index.

I haven't yet gone to great lengths deciding about an actual implementation of this.  I was more interested in seeing what others thought about the idea, and seeing who might be interested in working on overall organization, and general sorting of suggestions and linking.

So what does everyone think?

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions organization on the Wiki
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:28:04 am »

I think it's a very good idea :)

Currently there are a plenty of smaller ideas that are suggested over and over again but haven't even been added to the eternal suggestions voting (probably because they're small and most people are voting for the bigger stuff).

Searching works somewhat but is still pretty bad considering false matches, multiple ways of saying the same thing etc.

Having an index like that would be a lot better.

I might be interested in helping, don't know how much time I currently have though...
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."