Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magic  (Read 4229 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Magic
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:34:28 pm »

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to discuss this (it's probably more appropriate for the "Discussion" page on the wiki, but how often does anyone really read those?), but I'll try anyway.  I noticed that on the entry for "Magic", it says that magic does not exist in DF, and is associated with creatures that don't actually exist in the game.  However, the in-game descriptions for Dragons and Bronze Colossuses describe them as being magical. 
It would be more accurate to say that there is no way to practice magic in DF, or something along those lines.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:16:13 pm »

Isn't the [MAGIC] tag just a bit of legacy code that doesn't actually do anything?

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 05:38:45 am »

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to discuss this (it's probably more appropriate for the "Discussion" page on the wiki, but how often does anyone really read those?), but I'll try anyway.  I noticed that on the entry for "Magic", it says that magic does not exist in DF, and is associated with creatures that don't actually exist in the game.  However, the in-game descriptions for Dragons and Bronze Colossuses describe them as being magical. 
It would be more accurate to say that there is no way to practice magic in DF, or something along those lines.

Agreed,  this is the sort of thing that can be added yourself when you think something is missing.  I just added this:

Two in-game Megabeasts, the Dragon and Bronze Colossus are referred to as magical in their descriptions in-game.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:57:44 am »

I think though if you add that it gives the wrong idea, maybe something like:

"Magic is not a stat, there is no spells and there isn't anything of the sort. Although there are creatures such as Dragons and the Bronze Colossuses that are magical although this is just a description."

I don't know, but magic is more of a gameplay feature(IF we had that) and to add a "description" seems rather just trying to fit junk in.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 07:10:44 am »

What about breath attacks those are magical!
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 05:29:55 am »

What about breath attacks those are magical!
Nah, I think them just as...well, breath attacks. Not really, magic at all. It's like us having thumbs, it's not magic.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:02:39 pm »

I thought magic-tag attracted wildlife?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 05:17:21 am »

Yes, that's exactly what it does, assuming it still exists in .31. Or should do. But it's not useful.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 10:53:51 pm »

Toady meant no magic as in no dudes with pointy hats and badass robes who throw firelightning at people. Yet.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 04:54:34 pm »

Toady meant no magic as in no dudes with pointy hats and badass robes who throw firelightning at people. Yet.
If they do throw firelightning, it's probably because they have an artifact enchanted loincloth (menacing with spikes of MAGIC) or some such thing.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 11:39:51 pm »

Or because an Adv mode reaction was modded in that makes a flaming glob of material from nothing.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 05:49:32 pm »

what you dont mention is that its not the loincloth thats magical....though it still menaces with spikes of magic