Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Giant Cave Spiders  (Read 3707 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Cave Spiders
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 04:42:16 pm »

GCS are one of the most important assets your fortress can aquire. They are indeed a Horn of Plenty.
However good they are at killing off your population, they're not too bright, and a cagetrap will capture them.
Search older topics on this forum (40d times) to learn how to set up a safe GCS silk farm.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 08:57:50 pm »

I have never ever had problems with GCS.

I've yet to encounter one in 31 but in 40d they were harmless as kittens. Skeletal or regular they fell before wrestlers without trouble.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 11:38:33 pm »

I've yet to encounter one in 31 but in 40d they were harmless as kittens. Skeletal or regular they fell before wrestlers without trouble.

Lets be fair, in 40D what wasn't as harmless as a kitten to a dwarf? I seem to recall one of my dwarves falling off a 5z level cliff while fighting a dragon, only to get up, run up the stairs and stab it in the face before walking off nonchalantly with 2 broken legs
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Chizad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 01:04:42 am »

Ugh, I swear my game just ended this same way. I accidentally left a corner open to where my dwarves could reach a cavern, and so of course Urist McWeaver goes to grab some web and gets killed. This is around the 4th year and I have 85 guys, was hoping to get a baron when all this happened. Anyway, he dies, so some poor kid goes to get his body, and of course... he gets killed. so now the problem grows exponentially as 2 more go for those 2 bodies and get killed, then 4 more, then 8, then tantrum spiral. As all this is happening a goblin siege comes and I just say screw it.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 08:59:10 am »

Lets be fair, in 40D what wasn't as harmless as a kitten to a dwarf? I seem to recall one of my dwarves falling off a 5z level cliff while fighting a dragon, only to get up, run up the stairs and stab it in the face before walking off nonchalantly with 2 broken legs

You have a point.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 [2]