Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Giant Cave Spiders  (Read 3706 times)

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Cave Spiders
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:22:38 am »

So my skilled Hammer-dwarf , Spear-dwarf , Striker, and Swords-dwarf :UPDATE:Entire population:UPDATE:were all killed by this thing in relatively quick fashion.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Srsly?

Is this a giant bug?  :-X
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:33:26 am by Macalano »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Cave Spiders
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:27:52 am »

Technically it's an arachnid...
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:54:17 am »

It's a giant cave spider. What did you expect? This thing is like 10 times the size of Shelob in Lord of the Rings.
This is a colossal spider. It's been alive for years, and has grown tough as nails. It's been living in the bowels of the earth, probably surviving on the meat from forgotten beasts, and you expect a measly band of dwarves to survive?

Not to mention, fighting skill means diddly-squat when you're trapped in webbing like thick ropes.

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 08:57:05 am »

Well, I don't know man... I figured if Link, and Frodo could do it, my dwarves could.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 08:58:46 am »

Dwarf Fortress prefers realism over story narrative :P
Realistically, both Frodo and Link would be small piles of bones. That the Dwarves would eventually make into helmets and such.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 09:13:22 am »

I don't think bugs and arachnids are in the same familly, are they  ???

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 09:55:10 am »

If that family is "icky things that keep the weak awake at night" they might.

Myself, I rather like GCS. Silk production industry is nice for giving lots of dwarves lots of jobs - farmers get to grow dimple cups for dyeing, then you got millers, dyers, weavers, and finally clothmakers. And it's endless, unlike metal or stone (though granted those probably last through the lifetime of forts anyway - stone especially).

Unfortunately after having a couple years of silk farming, my caged GCS disappeared. I think I accidentally atomsmashed it, due to the silk farm mechanism :-/. And I can't seem to get another one to migrate through to be captured.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 09:58:32 am by Niveras »

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 09:58:50 am »

Hehe, 1 well placed cage and mechanism would've prevented all that death.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:59:18 am »

Yes, but scattered spider legs make such WONDERFUL cave decorations!
I say next time, bring more weapons. Axes and swords, to bring my designer dreams closer to reality.

Me, I'm yet to encounter my first GCS :(
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 11:43:01 am »

Yes, but scattered spider legs make such WONDERFUL cave decorations!
What the HERESY?! TO KILL A GCS?! It's virtually a walking Horn of Plenty! I would rather have my entire fort except one limbless (because of aforementioned GCS) peasant slaughtered (because of aforementioned GCS :D) to capture the GCS than to kill it without any losses! Unfortunately, I haven't encountered one either :(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:46:08 am by Dariush »

Hoooooooar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 12:05:44 pm »

a few games back i had zero problems dispatching the giant cave spider.  Of course i had 10 guys in adamantine everything.  Nothing could touch them.  The most they got were bruises.  I happened to come across a large free vein near no lava in my 3rd or 4th game.  Only had human neighbors and no gobbys so i restarted because i got tired of looking for demons wanted to get a crack at em but owell i'll find em in my current game :0

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 12:12:46 pm »

A GCS is very dangerous due to its venom. It only needs to hit a dwarf once. If it hits them and injects venom the dwarf is doomed.

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 12:59:45 pm »

Just look at the second spoiler pic and tell me, whatever kind of creature that is, it has NOT to die in seconds.

I mean....THE GUTS ARE BRUISED!!!

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 01:39:06 pm »

I couldn't get enough of them in 40d, so I modded "gray drakes" to appear in almost any biome. How does a creature breathe webbing? The same way a creature breathes fire!
Also it must have really made them weak by giving them dragon body parts, because my miners seem to be pretty good at killing them.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:43:35 pm by scira »

Roder Agak

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Stop: hammer time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 02:46:15 pm »

Giant Cave Spiders and Giant Desert Scorpions are vulnerable to axes.  A hammer will only damage the chitin and the probability of a spear piercing the brain is remote.  The only reliable way to kill them is to hack off their limbs and wait for them to bleed to death.  Also, against any giant creature, especially these two, it's essential for dwarves to equip shields, since they rely on knocking smaller creatures down and taking advantage of the attack bonuses versus grounded opponents to land instakilling attacks.
Pages: [1] 2