Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarven Science(TM) and Mythbusting  (Read 8644 times)

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Dwarven Science(TM) and Mythbusting
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:44:38 am »

I've seen a lot about the wiki being untrustworthy, and while it mostly seems fine to me a filter wouldn't hurt.  So, this thread should be a place to post new findings to be put on the wiki and debunk myths before they get there.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Science(TM) and Mythbusting
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 07:01:45 pm »

Yes, there are certainly a few inaccuracies around.

Hence, in proper Mythbuster style, I think we should take on the myth of the exploding booze barrel.

The myth is that, when set on fire, booze barrels will explode in a big fireball.  This is believed to be caused by the flammable booze contained within catching on fire and undergoing rapid combustion, which to the layman looks an aweful lot like a fireball or an explosion.

Another explanation is that the apparent explosion is actually merely booze vapor, caused by the booze evaporating when subjected to the heat caused by the fire.

In order to test this myth, we should set up a booze stockpile and set it on fire.  After observing what happens in that case, we should mod the raws to set the boiling point of booze much higher and see if we can observe a difference.  Another question is whether booze, once vaporized, can catch on fire.  The best test I can think of for this would be to start a fire near to, but not touching a booze stockpile, with a barrier such as a channel in the middle, then change the raws so that the booze immediately evaporates.  If the booze vapor really can catch fire, then it is likely that the fire will spread over to the other side once the booze cloud touches the fire.  If the booze actually evaporates when the barrels are set on fire, and then the vapor ignites, we can still call it a fireball of sorts.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:22:15 pm »

Wouldn't another way to test it would be in adventure mode?

With the new knapping skill and custom reactions, plus the ability to set things on fire, it'd be much easier to fine-tune experiments in regards to quantities of alcohol, type of alcohol, etc etc.

I've done a quick test and it's definitely possible to create a barrel, and to create alcohol in said barrel, and it will "ignite" (or according to the description of the brown cloud, become "Boiling Dwarven Wine"). As to whether this is damaging vapour, or can set off chain reactions etc, more scientific study is definitely needed.
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:55:53 am »

we should set up a booze stockpile and set it on fire.

Dwarven science! We do what we must, because we can.
For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead...
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 12:34:21 pm »

Yes, there are certainly a few inaccuracies around.

Hence, in proper Mythbuster style, I think we should take on the myth of the exploding booze barrel.

The myth is that, when set on fire, booze barrels will explode in a big fireball.  This is believed to be caused by the flammable booze contained within catching on fire and undergoing rapid combustion, which to the layman looks an aweful lot like a fireball or an explosion.

Another explanation is that the apparent explosion is actually merely booze vapor, caused by the booze evaporating when subjected to the heat caused by the fire.

In order to test this myth, we should set up a booze stockpile and set it on fire.  After observing what happens in that case, we should mod the raws to set the boiling point of booze much higher and see if we can observe a difference.  Another question is whether booze, once vaporized, can catch on fire.  The best test I can think of for this would be to start a fire near to, but not touching a booze stockpile, with a barrier such as a channel in the middle, then change the raws so that the booze immediately evaporates.  If the booze vapor really can catch fire, then it is likely that the fire will spread over to the other side once the booze cloud touches the fire.  If the booze actually evaporates when the barrels are set on fire, and then the vapor ignites, we can still call it a fireball of sorts.

Well.. I can say that boiling booze is one of the most awesome weapons for town killing in adventure mode, Nobody tries to kill you afterwards, besides the image of people melted all over the inn is hilarious.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 01:44:03 pm »

Wouldn't another way to test it would be in adventure mode?

With the new knapping skill and custom reactions, plus the ability to set things on fire, it'd be much easier to fine-tune experiments in regards to quantities of alcohol, type of alcohol, etc etc.

I've done a quick test and it's definitely possible to create a barrel, and to create alcohol in said barrel, and it will "ignite" (or according to the description of the brown cloud, become "Boiling Dwarven Wine"). As to whether this is damaging vapour, or can set off chain reactions etc, more scientific study is definitely needed.
But the question is: WILL IT BLEND?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 11:21:29 am »

But there's no use crying over every Funstake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of booze.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 11:26:24 am »

Questions like this make me really wish that Arena mode had a feature to let you place arbitrary items like it lets you place creatures.  There are several experiments I'd like to test without having to build a fortress to support them first.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 12:10:05 am »

I was once playing as an adventurer,I found a giant with family issues who resorted to booze.There was booze all around his cave and that was the only thing (no shit it was)
I killed the giant and decided to throw his body in a fire near the booze and sleep.I woke up burning,there was flaming booze clouds everywhere.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 08:58:29 am »

In 40d and earlier, alcohol's ignition point is significantly higher than its boiling point*, and since Dwarf Fortress only allows actual objects to burn (once it boils, it becomes a "flow" just like miasma or cave-in dust) it isn't actually possible for alcohol to burn. It's possible this was changed in 0.31, but I doubt it.

* don't have the exact numbers at the moment, but it'll be simple enough to locate them again - they're initialized right after the game reads the MATGLOSS_PLANT:xxx token

[edit] Just found the stats: booze has an ignite point of 10800 (832°F) and a boiling point of only 10150 (182°F). Booze also freezes at 9850 (-118°F), for those curious.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:13:25 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 02:51:19 pm »

I think we should take a look at the Carp.

I've been hearing people say that carp got nerfed in the recent versions because the bite attack strength was reduced. But I seem to recall that carp never were that powerful to begin with (size 3 in the old versions, which wasn't very strong) and the reason they ended up in a lot of dead dwarves was because the dwarves would go to the river for a drink, see the fish, go "Oh shit, pointy teeth" and dodge into the water.

HOWEVER, a few versions ago I seem to recall the way civilians reacted to wild animals changed slightly, so they would be a BIT less nervous around them. Anyone want to check if fish are, as of the latest release, still deadly?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

charl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 10:31:02 am »

I think we should take a look at the Carp.

I've been hearing people say that carp got nerfed in the recent versions because the bite attack strength was reduced. But I seem to recall that carp never were that powerful to begin with (size 3 in the old versions, which wasn't very strong) and the reason they ended up in a lot of dead dwarves was because the dwarves would go to the river for a drink, see the fish, go "Oh shit, pointy teeth" and dodge into the water.

HOWEVER, a few versions ago I seem to recall the way civilians reacted to wild animals changed slightly, so they would be a BIT less nervous around them. Anyone want to check if fish are, as of the latest release, still deadly?

Empirically the carp don't seem to be too dangerous anymore. In my current fortress there's a river full of carp and I have yet to lose a single fisherman to them, despite my fishing zone being right on top of what seems to be the carps' breeding grounds.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 11:11:39 pm »

And the science gets done
And you make a neat fort
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 07:10:35 am »

And you make a neat fort
For the dwarven who are still ALLiIIIiiiVE!

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 05:19:27 am »

And you make a neat fort
For the dwarven who are still !!ALLiIIIiiiVE!!
Fixed that for you.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)
Pages: [1] 2 3