Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Passtrade - The Peasant fortress.  (Read 3087 times)

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
Passtrade - The Peasant fortress.
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:55:21 pm »

At the opening of spring in the year 1051, 7 souls decided that it was best to leave the mountainhomes and make it on their own. What possessed the to do such a thing? Armok only knows, but it would seem that the main reasons where that these dwarves were incredibly bored, and lets be fair incredibly stupid.

Without any trade to call their own, these dwarven peasants had the temerity to think that they could do better than their forefathers. With half the native sense of a hoary marmot they hitched a pair of muskox to a wagon and made there way of into the distance.

Upon arriving in a thickly wooden area, they decided to make camp and strike the earth.

Of course this proved to be more difficult than  they had first thought. Somehow, amongst the excitement of leaving on their journey or moronic self discovery they forgot to pack any picks, axes, stone or wood. Frantically upon realising this they checked to see if they had actually managed to bring any supplies at all.

Armok was with them. There was booze. There was also some plump helmet, cave fish and vultures intestines, but mostly, there was booze.

Realising there was nothing else for it, they tore the wagon apart with their bare hands. With the salvaged wood from the wagon they had just enough to set up shop and crafted and axe.

Of course the axe was wooden, but somehow, by some miracle of Armok, the axe of wood, coud cut.

One dwarf, Tun by name took up this wooden wonder and attacked the near by trees with a vengeance. As the wood chips fleew and the logs started pouring in another wooden axe was made, and another. With that three dwarves were hacking down every tree in sight. With no stone to be had, wood was the only material they could use.

The appointed leader of the group, Amost stayed at base camp trying his best to wack the wood into something resembling furniture.

While the others were madly workng with all this ...wood, the remaing three had other jobs in mind.

Vucar, on the way in had spotted plump little turtles in the local ponds and went to try her hand at catching a few.

Stukos, frantically trying to remember what her mother used to tell her about 'bove ground plants started pulling bushes up by the roots in search of things to eat.

Fath it had to be said is probably more useless than even the rest of his idiotic compatriots. So he stayed in camp and ocassionally cleaned the turtles that Vucar was bringing in.

Then of course it occured to them all that they had nowhere to sleep, nowhere to eat and no roof over their heads. This was a strange and daunting concept, for sons and daughters of the mountain homes.

Immediately they all converged on an open patch of land and started erecting the logs into a semblance of walls and, after building some stairs, roofed this weird 'log house'. It was done. for now, they had shelter and somewhere to sleep.

But this was only the beggining...
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Passtrade - The Peasant fortress.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:17:42 pm »

I like where this is headed!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:41:44 pm »

Upon doing a full inventory of stocks Amost, the expedition leader discovered that while no one remembered to bring picks or axes, someone decided it would be a good idea to lug a bloody anvil around. At that moment he would have given his share of turtle for the week to find out which bright spark had decided to do that.

Near the end of the season the booze supply was starting to look a little sad. Not having anything but dwarven intuition to work with they decided to throw some of those fat roots that Stukos pulled outa the ground into a barrel and pray to the gods that it would ferment.

Success, after some time the tubers and even some berries where converted into sweet sweet alcohol.

Then the season turned, and thank the gods, more lost souls found their way to the campsite. Catten the woodcutter and his wife Iden the miller wandered into camp, a kitten in their arms. We sure as hell had no mill, hell we didnt even have a millstone, but we put her to work at whatever odd job was around. Catten on the other hand was welcomed with open arms. Not only was he a veteran of the eternal struggle between dwarf and tree, he actually remembered to bring along his own axe. A Steel axe.

The poor bastards that founded this little wooden wonder had almost forgotten what metal looked like.

With Catten leading the way the went on to pushing back their tall and leafy foe, forever converting them into useable barrels, bins, trade goods and further material for the ever expanding 'log house'. In short order a proper dinner hall was constructed, above the entrance way and beds.

But still there was work to be done.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:49:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I knew this would be relevant to DF eventually. :D

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 10:00:28 pm »

Sorry Urist, i cant see that image for some reason. link?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 02:17:55 am »

Hhahahha gods id forgotten how much i loved old OOTS.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 02:45:40 am »

Here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 11:03:52 am »

Autumn came. Along with the turning of the leaves of those wooden dwarf foes came three new lost souls. Bomrek the furnace operator and his beloved parter the strand extracter Medtob joined their cause. With them came the experienced woodsman and field hand Athel. Athel was a boon, granting his farming experience to the slightly overwhelmed Stukos.

Bomrek and Medtob however had almost as little utility as the original settlers. Of course they would have their uses in times to come, but at this stage they where nothing but an extra pair of hands. Medtob took to carving the shells of the fat little turtles Vucar was fishing out of the ponds. (Vucar insisted on being called a fisher despite  never actually managing to find any real fish.) Bomrek threw himself into any odd job that cames his way, hauling, building, nothing was too menial. He was so earnest and persuasive that Amost finally relented to allow him the right to broker trade for the settlement should traders manage to find them in the wilderness.

As these new additions started to settle in, Catten, brave and thoughtful as always realised that he was best suited to protecting his new little family. Vowing to protect them with the sharpened edge of his axe and with his life Catten reluctantly began training in a  room removed from the others. While so far seeing nothing more dangerous that an alligator he knew that a time would come when his strength would be needed.

Autumn passed and still no sign of a caravan. Perhaps they were too remote to be obvious, or hard to find. The hardest truth is to admit its possible that there will never be one.

Winter is nearing its close, and yet no merchants from the mountain homes have come to trade. We are deeply cocerned. While trees are our hated foe of ancient times their numbers are dwindlin, Soon there will be no trees to work.

This has been a cold and dark few seasons.

Yet the brave beardless sons of Armok are  needed.

Of course none of the traders had thought there was any likely that ay of the stupid buggers that had chosen to join this daft bastard of an expedition would have survived.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 04:01:42 pm »

Haha! Dead civ! You gots all you gonna get!
Luckily you brought an anvil...

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 04:29:46 pm »

Eventually, you'll get a miner. But then it will stop being so interesting :D
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 04:47:53 pm »

Lets do this elf style. LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYY! JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 05:16:21 pm »

Hahahhaha there is a dwarven civ on my map im fairly sure, and i DID get migrants in the first two seasons. Logic tells me there should be traders. On the other side of things, if and when i ever do get a miner, should i stay above ground and start using stone, or just dig down to the caverns and start cutting down all those trees too? :P

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 05:30:21 pm »

Oh wait. Beards above. No important leaders to that dwarven civ? Dead civ. This could be a very interesting map... Spring came, the fortress attracted no migrants... surprise surprise. Let the games begin!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 06:47:03 pm »

Hahahhaha there is a dwarven civ on my map im fairly sure, and i DID get migrants in the first two seasons. Logic tells me there should be traders. On the other side of things, if and when i ever do get a miner, should i stay above ground and start using stone, or just dig down to the caverns and start cutting down all those trees too? :P
See here. Migrants are generated. Not moved. Therefore, your civ is dead.
Pages: [1] 2 3