Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Donating via Paypal?  (Read 1046 times)

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
Donating via Paypal?
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:44:13 pm »

Now that DF basically works again, I was going to send another donation as I've been playing it a lot recently.

Unfortunately, Paypal won't let me use my credit card to donate, and instead insists that I link a bank account to my paypal account, which I'd rather not do. I know the card works, and I made a paypal payment with it not 5 minutes before trying to donate to Bay 12. Anyone have any idea about why this might happen? Is it a "donation" specific thing, maybe?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Donating via Paypal?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 10:01:04 pm »

Did you try email toady on another method of donating?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 01:35:55 am »

Wait, you can link a bank account to a paypal account? I've been trying to do that, and just gave up.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:37:03 pm »

There's a huge button that says "CLICK HERE TO LINK YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT".
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:10:58 am »

There's a huge button that says "CLICK HERE TO LINK YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT".
Its like, the first thing it asks you to do (or not do).
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:50:55 am »

That's like where the cash goes, not where it comes from, right? Or I think I understood the OP wrong. Thought you wanted to transfer money from your credit card to paypal, but it only let you do it with a bank account.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 11:49:21 am »

Yes. I click the donate button, log into Paypal, and it gives me an error message saying that I can't use my credit card for this donation, and would I like to link a bank account directly to my Paypal instead?

The credit card works on Paypal for other things. It just doesn't work for donating to Bay12. And as I have no intention of giving Paypal (or anyone else, for that matter) direct access to my bank account, I'm unable to donate to Bay12 at all, without resorting to ancient, barbaric practices like writing symbols indicating value manually on crushed plant fiber with a chemical pigment, and then hiring a meat-puppet that rides around in a metal box which burns dead sea-life to physically deliver the crushed plant fiber to Toady, who then has to physically take the crushed plant fiber to a big building with more meat puppets in order to re-convert its imaginary value into something he can use to barter for produce, or things that come out of chickens, or some sort of dead animal which he can use in a chemical reaction to produce enough energy to make his brain work in such a manner which is conducive to his improving hauling in Dwarf Fortress.

Edit: I just tried it again, and it worked. I'm assuming it failed the first time for security reasons, as I was attempting to donate while I was out of the country and there's some sort of check to prevent that, or something.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:51:54 am by Teiwaz »

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 12:09:17 pm »

It's probably that the donation counts as a cash transaction, and as such, would count as a cash advance on the credit card - which is something you DO NOT WANT.

On an aside, some of the larger banks are perfectly willing to provide you with temporary bank information can only be used once, perfect for those who want to do something online, but don't want their real info out there forever.  You should call and ask.  Worst case scenario: They say no -- which you have that already.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 02:24:20 am »

That's like where the cash goes, not where it comes from, right? Or I think I understood the OP wrong. Thought you wanted to transfer money from your credit card to paypal, but it only let you do it with a bank account.

No, it's where it comes from.

There's even a feature that lets you do it instanteously so you don't have to wait (I wouldn't do it, but it WOULD make the 5-7 days that Canadians wait a bit easier).
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?