Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 309464 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [0.43.05] Fortress Defense Mod II R v20: Individual Entity Files!
« Reply #1110 on: September 05, 2016, 01:59:56 pm »

I don't think the difference between Dwarf Fortress v0.43.03 and v0.43.05 is great enough to make a difference on this mod.

Could this be a duped raws problem? I only had this problem with the Challenge/Bonus version of the mod. And I think I installed that one incorrectly. I took the files out of all three civs folder and dumped them into the main objects folder, but I don't think I was supposed to do that. It looks like Broseidon installed the mod this way too.

I actually tested out the duped raws installation as well, but it didn't actually cause the world gen crash, to my surprise. Oh well, this is a bizarre mystery indeed.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 05, 2016, 03:23:38 pm »

Was the world hilariously messed up?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 05, 2016, 05:36:25 pm »

Was the world hilariously messed up?

Surprisingly, nothing bad seemed to happen. Only the entity raws were duplicated, which may be why. Although it is possible that the duplicate raws were one cause of the crashes Broseidon reported, I doubt the two were directly related.

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 08, 2016, 08:51:43 pm »

Hello!

So first off, I just found you mod while poking around on Reddit, and really loving it.  Getting annihilated a lot, but certainly far more interesting than vanilla.

However, I started noticing I was being attacked by all sorts of terrible enemies -very- early on.  All tiers of races, all on very young fortresses.  'Tier 2 and 3' races with less than 50 dwarves and rather meager possessions, and tier 4/challenge monsters immediately upon hitting 50.  Plus the bonus races at the same level as stranglers and beak wolves.  Ruthertaur hordes early in my second year. 

I started poking at the raws to see if I could change this, and I noticed that in the entity_txt files for each race, the PROGRESS_TRIGGER_SIEGE values were all quite low.  1s and 2s and the rare 3.  Curious if this is intentional?

Also of note, in most of them PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE occurs twice(often with different values) and PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGEis missing.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:54:06 pm by Iriswaters »

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 08, 2016, 09:12:30 pm »

Realized I should be looking at(and changing) the complied entity_txt files that actually get moved into the raw/objects.  But they have the same values, so the question remains.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 09, 2016, 12:13:50 am »

Realized I should be looking at(and changing) the complied entity_txt files that actually get moved into the raw/objects.  But they have the same values, so the question remains.

Thanks for enjoying the mod, and for catching the duplicated trade triggers! I will update the current version for the affected civs to use production triggers. That will be up once I make the appropriate edits. In terms of balance, I will take a look at the current standing of the civs and update with the next version.

You can also change the progress triggers to affect an in-progress save, so you can customize arrival times if you want. 3 is 80 dwarves, the same as goblins, and 2 is 50. Based on my testing a tier 3 fort should have enough time to handle the enemies at tier 3 if you prepare and equip accordingly (challenge enemies not included). A 0 for progress trigger means the trigger is not used and population is the sole criterion.

I have set the progress triggers low because the latest version of Dwarf Fortress tries to simulate enemies walking to your fort, which still leads to long delays for siege arrival in the worst case scenarios, as well as extremely early sieges when the enemies are located nearby. As such, I have tried to guard against the cases involving the most boredom, at the cost of the cases that involve the most !!!FUN!!!. Challenge races are intended to be challenging.

The intent behind including bonus races is that you know how to gear up quickly to face them. In fact, many of the rank 2 races are quite easy to kill as well, being at about goblin level or slightly tougher (isn't harder to be much tougher than goblins). By 50 dwarves, I usually have about two squads armored with whatever metal I can take from the caravans, even anvils, tools, and trade goods I melted down.

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.43.05] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!
« Reply #1116 on: September 09, 2016, 01:39:37 am »

Ok, but I had 4 squads, a good start on training, all in steel, a total of 50 dwarves, and Nightwings showed up.    And we failed to kill a single one.  That's an extreme example, but ...

The tier ones are -noticeably-  harder than goblins.   Beak wolfs latch on, so unless your dwarf is highly skilled they never get a hit in.  Stranglers move fast enough that positioning ends up a real issue, though that's about it.  Ferric elves I can take down pretty reliably, but they're still a fair bit tougher than gobs. 

But really the main issue is the near-guarantee of tier 4-5 enemies showing up just after a new wave of migrants arrives, when I've only had 30 dwarves for more than a  couple months...  Your default has nightwing and ruthertaur as progress-level -2-.    O_o

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 09, 2016, 09:05:14 am »

Those are challenge races. But I will upload a repatch to raise them to 80 based on your feedback.

Nightwings are pending rewrite anyway, I hope.

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 10, 2016, 01:08:48 am »

Ok. 

Other bit of feedback for your rewrite:  Nightwing do not appear to fly.

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 10, 2016, 01:20:42 am »

Ok. 

Other bit of feedback for your rewrite:  Nightwing do not appear to fly.
Actually, that's intentional, because flying units that come in flying tend to get stuck on the edge of the map, leading to an endless siege by an enemy that can't be killed.

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 10, 2016, 07:14:42 am »

Gotcha.  Issue with DF, not FD. 

Btw, I am realizing part of why I was having more trouble than normal.  In order to be ensured of all enemy races, I was playing on a -small- world, with number of civs turned way up.  Along with an ultra short history, this ensures all enemy civs will be in range, but it also means they are all very close.  Hence the functionally guaranteed siege by large numbers of tier 3-4 forces by the summer of the second year.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 10, 2016, 10:20:09 am »

Gotcha.  Issue with DF, not FD. 

Btw, I am realizing part of why I was having more trouble than normal.  In order to be ensured of all enemy races, I was playing on a -small- world, with number of civs turned way up.  Along with an ultra short history, this ensures all enemy civs will be in range, but it also means they are all very close.  Hence the functionally guaranteed siege by large numbers of tier 3-4 forces by the summer of the second year.

That does make a lot of sense. Maybe I'll hold off on the progress trigger increases and wait for further feedback.

It also sounds like a lot of !!!FUN!!!. Might want to run a world like that when the new DF comes out.

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 17, 2016, 10:33:56 pm »

Hello. 

So, after setting the things back to their original settings(mostly), running into a new complication.  Sieges not arriving.  Like, I get the message that there's a siege, but they don't ever actually attack?  Been happening a lot recently.  Uncertain if this is something I've mucked about with(and hence not something you should be concerned about) or some larger issue.  Just wanted to put it out there.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: September 17, 2016, 10:55:45 pm »

Hello. 

So, after setting the things back to their original settings(mostly), running into a new complication.  Sieges not arriving.  Like, I get the message that there's a siege, but they don't ever actually attack?  Been happening a lot recently.  Uncertain if this is something I've mucked about with(and hence not something you should be concerned about) or some larger issue.  Just wanted to put it out there.

If you are getting a message that there is a siege, but nothing actually appears to attack, usually that's caused by a thief appearing on your site, triggering a bug that makes the game treat it as a siege. Sieges that do arrive on the map but take some time to attack your fort might do so because they cannot pathfind through some bottleneck, or because they get distracted by ostriches or camels on the surface.

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 22, 2016, 08:34:13 am »

I think on some of the occasions there ends up being a clash between 2 sieges that end up killing each other.  But other times I think it was a bug of some kind.  Probably the thief issue.

Another query, are Nakashim not building destroyers?  I have set up a killing field between me and the outside, with some doors between me and the killing field that I've locked so that my archers don't go derping down into melee the moment they run out of bolts, but I have now had a siege of Nakashim hanging out in  the space between them for a couple months.  It's a young fortress, so I was hoping to get them to my bottleneck for the fight, which involves them first knocking down those doors, but they move up to the them, hover and then move away repeatedly.  They know to path to the door, they just decide against breaking it.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 80