Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 305425 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [0.43.05] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!
« Reply #1125 on: September 22, 2016, 10:05:45 pm »

I think on some of the occasions there ends up being a clash between 2 sieges that end up killing each other.  But other times I think it was a bug of some kind.  Probably the thief issue.

Another query, are Nakashim not building destroyers?  I have set up a killing field between me and the outside, with some doors between me and the killing field that I've locked so that my archers don't go derping down into melee the moment they run out of bolts, but I have now had a siege of Nakashim hanging out in  the space between them for a couple months.  It's a young fortress, so I was hoping to get them to my bottleneck for the fight, which involves them first knocking down those doors, but they move up to the them, hover and then move away repeatedly.  They know to path to the door, they just decide against breaking it.

Currently nothing in Fortress Defense Mod destroys buildings, because people often complained about receiving building destroyer visitors. As such...the Nakashim will happily wait outside your locked doors as long as necessary.

You could just unlock the doors, or link them to a lever.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: September 23, 2016, 07:11:59 am »

Ah.  Hmm.  I suppose I could.  I set up doors I could lock for the purpose of preventing my archers from derping, without having to lock them into a separate part of the fortress(and having to supply it with food and booze and having to be sure they are all in before locking it).

It seems an odd decision to not have these critters not do building destroying.  Curious what the nature of the complaints were, seems to me it feels straightforward that most intelligent attackers would have the capacity to break down doors.    And if one wants to remain safe from them, there's always the option of drawbridges.

I will probably rework my fortress to be vulnerable as is, though managing my archer troops with that is gonna be a pain.    When I inevitably die, I'll probably go mod the raws to at least have the more advanced species have it enabled.

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: September 23, 2016, 01:26:02 pm »

Ah.  Hmm.  I suppose I could.  I set up doors I could lock for the purpose of preventing my archers from derping, without having to lock them into a separate part of the fortress(and having to supply it with food and booze and having to be sure they are all in before locking it).

It seems an odd decision to not have these critters not do building destroying.  Curious what the nature of the complaints were, seems to me it feels straightforward that most intelligent attackers would have the capacity to break down doors.    And if one wants to remain safe from them, there's always the option of drawbridges.

I will probably rework my fortress to be vulnerable as is, though managing my archer troops with that is gonna be a pain.    When I inevitably die, I'll probably go mod the raws to at least have the more advanced species have it enabled.
The complaints were about what would happen when friendly building destroyers came to visit. They wouldn't attack anyone, but they would knock over statues, break doors, destroy farms and even topple workshops if they were allowed inside the fortress.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: September 24, 2016, 12:48:33 am »

It seems an odd decision to not have these critters not do building destroying.  Curious what the nature of the complaints were, seems to me it feels straightforward that most intelligent attackers would have the capacity to break down doors. And if one wants to remain safe from them, there's always the option of drawbridges.

The problem was all the mercenaries who weren't hostile but still broke stuff. The visitors would arrive and literally break every single building from the front gates to the deepest mines while your dwarves stood by and watched. You could kill them manually, but most of the time another would arrive instantly and resume the demolitions. Once I started getting a decent number of visitors my game degenerated into a non-stop hunt for the frost giant bard who was kicking down the magma floodgates. It basically forced a choice between having no visitors or constantly rebuilding the fort.

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: September 24, 2016, 09:49:27 am »

Aaand I just came back to see if people had responded with exactly this information, as I learned it the hard way myself.  Sigh.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: September 24, 2016, 11:40:12 am »

Aaand I just came back to see if people had responded with exactly this information, as I learned it the hard way myself.  Sigh.

Yes - in the current version if your civ has thieves, it will send visitors. That's why there ended up being no way to isolate the building destroyer tag to some of the tougher, crazier civs like frost giants and ruthertaurs. Even when the fiend spiders were the last building destroyers in Fortress Defense, people somehow still managed to receive spider visitors who wrecked their forts. So building destroyer had to go.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 25, 2016, 01:41:28 pm »

Hey, small random bug: war wolves my latest war wolf siege are turning into... war wolves that are hostile to the war wolves? I keep getting the message, "War Wolf Pancake Maker (or whatever) has turned into a Feral!"

Then there is a loyalty cascade, and more war wolves seem to get bitten and infected in the fighting. The results are absolutely hysterical if you enjoy carnage as much as I do. Not sure what kicked it off, just noticed them obliterating themselves.

Also, an entire Naga siege was just broken by a single were-elephant. The Were bled out right after but my god it was terrifying to watch.

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: September 25, 2016, 02:28:07 pm »

Hey, small random bug: war wolves my latest war wolf siege are turning into... war wolves that are hostile to the war wolves? I keep getting the message, "War Wolf Pancake Maker (or whatever) has turned into a Feral!"

Then there is a loyalty cascade, and more war wolves seem to get bitten and infected in the fighting. The results are absolutely hysterical if you enjoy carnage as much as I do. Not sure what kicked it off, just noticed them obliterating themselves.

Also, an entire Naga siege was just broken by a single were-elephant. The Were bled out right after but my god it was terrifying to watch.
It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 25, 2016, 02:55:23 pm »

I think they are saying that the -warwolves- were turning feral for some reason, not that they were turning the dwarves into ferals.  Only way that makes sense is if the fort had a warwolf merc on their side.  Otherwise it sounds like a bug.  Never seen that happen, personally.

Thatotherguy23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: September 26, 2016, 02:51:50 am »

Having issues with Raptormen. After installing on latest Lazy Newb Pack it crashes after finishing worldgen. Specifically on (u)se world as it currently exists on medium regions. I did install with individual entity files, as soon as I remove raptormen worldgen works fine after stopping; issue is either with it's entity file or it's section in creature_fdbonus.txt. Fresh LNP and latest Fortress Defense mod

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: September 26, 2016, 11:44:40 am »

I think they are saying that the -warwolves- were turning feral for some reason, not that they were turning the dwarves into ferals.  Only way that makes sense is if the fort had a warwolf merc on their side.  Otherwise it sounds like a bug.  Never seen that happen, personally.

Yeah, I have a warwolf merc but he's never been near this siege. My puny military couldn't handle the 100+ warwolves attacking me so I locked the gates to wait it out.

The other possibility, looking at the piles of corpses scattered around the map, is that visitors (usually mercs who can fight) are arriving, getting attacked, getting bitten, turning, biting warwolves, and then getting killed. But that means the warwolf who gets bitten then turns onto a were-warwolf and goes berzerk or something?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: September 27, 2016, 01:33:08 am »

Having issues with Raptormen. After installing on latest Lazy Newb Pack it crashes after finishing worldgen. Specifically on (u)se world as it currently exists on medium regions. I did install with individual entity files, as soon as I remove raptormen worldgen works fine after stopping; issue is either with it's entity file or it's section in creature_fdbonus.txt. Fresh LNP and latest Fortress Defense mod

I'm currently checking this out. I'll reply once I have an update.

Yeah, I have a warwolf merc but he's never been near this siege. My puny military couldn't handle the 100+ warwolves attacking me so I locked the gates to wait it out.

The other possibility, looking at the piles of corpses scattered around the map, is that visitors (usually mercs who can fight) are arriving, getting attacked, getting bitten, turning, biting warwolves, and then getting killed. But that means the warwolf who gets bitten then turns onto a were-warwolf and goes berzerk or something?

It might be possible to reproduce this bug in Arena mode, which I am looking into as well.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:34:42 am by darkflagrance »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1137 on: September 29, 2016, 04:54:40 pm »

A suggestions:

After getting reports from players that they are still getting not enough sieges, maybe it would be interesting to use very powerful creatures in entities and design them like kobolds, with skulking and item_thief or baby_snatcher tags.

Armies and ambushes have to move across the map to reach your fort. If I understood it correctly, thieves and snatcher do NOT have to do that, and are spawned on your map edge.

You could make civs that send single units like kobolds, but then get... PRONE_TO_RAGE or OPPOSED_TO_LIFE to force them to attack, instead of running away. They could use special interactions in combat.

For example necromancers or mages with different castes. Banshees and poltergeists that affect people with syndromes that lower their mood with CE_EMOTION tags. Werebeasts, zombies or lepers that affect dwarves with syndromes that they give to more dwarves...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: September 29, 2016, 06:21:16 pm »

While checking what faction everyone was on, I noticed that the Hellfire faction has the Babysnatcher tag twice. Probably not a big deal, but just in case you care about that.

Warning: Possible Fortress Defense Mod II spoilers follow!

Iriswaters

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: September 30, 2016, 08:24:17 pm »

Wow...

What the heck are Nightwing made out of?  O_o   I had a medium age fortress, that had managed to rebuff about a dozen sieges(light stuff, tigers, frogs, raptors, blendec, etc).  About 90 dwarves.  5 squads, 3 marks, 2 melee mainly wielding silver hammers and steel axes.  All 50 decked out in full steel.  Marks had a total of 5-6 elites, no elite melee but definitely some skill.  I had set things up to have a long killing field I could rain bolts down on, and have upped the power of crossbows to partially counter the nerf that causes 3000 bolts to bounce off steel and only cause minimal bruising, because that feels unrealistic and annoying.

Anyway, just had 2 sieges arrive simultaneously, one of warwolves and one of Nightwing.  They fought it out on a corner of my surface map, while I rained bolts on them.  One Nightwing seems to have glitch-dodged through or over my wall, and ended up among my troops, and started tearing into my archers before I could do much about it.  But I sent my 2 squads of full steel melee to face it.  And....  1 Nightwing took out my entire fortress.  By the end, every location was in the red, it had no weapons or armor, but it was still killing slapped together squads of untrained rookies with ease. 

I lost all but 2 dwarves, one of which was a child, before the single invader made his escape.  This whole experience was baffling and terrifying, and leaves me utterly baffled as to how one could ever face such enemies in numbers without resorting to broken mechanics(bridges and the like) or cave-in traps...
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 80