Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 309544 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Hmmm. I never noticed; usually the Tigermen generals died without my noticing when I tested. I'm going to start a new game and camp the Tigerman leader out to see if I can fix that problem. But leaders in Dwarf Fortress are bugged in general anyway.

As for megabeasts, I usually set them to [CLUSTER_SIZE: 10] :3
And I run short world gens.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, is there any way to deal with fire from hellfire imps? I've got a 31.18 fort that's six years old now, going along nicely with a population cap of 50 and I've reached the point where none of the races worry me. Except the imps. A bunch of them show up and start hurling around fire and it's "Urist McTakesOnWarElephantSquadsHimself has bled to death" spam.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Ok, is there any way to deal with fire from hellfire imps? I've got a 31.18 fort that's six years old now, going along nicely with a population cap of 50 and I've reached the point where none of the races worry me. Except the imps. A bunch of them show up and start hurling around fire and it's "Urist McTakesOnWarElephantSquadsHimself has bled to death" spam.

That's partially why Hellfire Imps exist: they can match even the most powerful of dwarves despite limited martial ability. I think they tend to use their flame breath attack only at range, so if you can close with them using corners or other line-of-sight limiters they won't shoot as often. Their fireball attack is mostly for flash and doesn't really do damage to dwarves. I prefer to fight them with markstroops and fortifications.

It also helps to control how many enemy troops can focus on your squads at once and allow for redundancies in the military so losing champions is not a serious loss. When I play, even though I cap my population, I always try to make sure that there is a continuous flow of replacements; I use fresh, disposable recruits to draw their fire.

EDIT: Nevermind, based on what others have said, just use shields. That will nullify them pretty much.

How are the nightwings, by the way?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:53:40 pm by darkflagrance »

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fire imps have dragon breath IIRC, the only way to counter this is to divide up your squads into those that know how to use a shield and those that do not. Obviously the ones who knows how to block dragon fire should be sent in to deal with the them, you may think this gets a bit tricky when other forces are besieging as well, but I've always found it quite funny how their fire toasted even friendly troops.

I've lost squads to fire though, but not to fire imps strangely enough. It was fire from jotunar, it didn't hit any dwarves, but it hit the dry grass. From there I lost two full squads of 20 highly skilled dwarves because I could not pull them back fast enough to avoid the spreading fires.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile

Where?

For me? First siege was bugged (spawned, refused to move).

And I must ask - is it possible to do something with war elephant wrestlers riding on camels/giant eagles?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've got a production line of  military dwarves working ok, I only have ten civilians, about 15 front line troops, about 15 second line troops who only fight the odd enemy that wanders past the front line troops, and the rest are newbies inside the civilian area of the fort. The front line troops are all legendary shield users and aren't (AFAIK) getting hit by the the fireballs, they are walking into fire on the ground started by them. It's hard to tell because no message seems to come up for that and they just eventually bleed to death. They also don't go to the hospital either for their wounds it seems.

I've tried building a limestone road outside, and it caught on fire and burnt down leaving some dead dwarves lying on furrowed soil. I tried building a long underground entrance, which works ok, mainly because other beseiging races normally flush them out before they get to my dwarves. I've tried flushing them out with my crapper axedwarves with mixed results: works ok for individual thieves but multiple ambush squads can sometime kill the axedwarves and rush to my entrance. I haven't tried marksdwarves.

I haven't had any problems with Nightwings for a few forts. Generally you can deal with elite flying bowmen by killing enough of their accompanying squads, causing them to leave the board. I've found the worst thing to do here is use marksdwarves, they'll tend to shoot the squds while getting shot themselves and don't kill stuff fast enough. Melee squads get the job done usually.

I have war elephants riding polar bears, which doesn't make sense either. They all end up dead regardless.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Frogman War Leader has also come to mock me with his nudity.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Where?

And I must ask - is it possible to do something with war elephant wrestlers riding on camels/giant eagles?

The tag was [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:1]. CLUSTER_SIZE was from 40d, it seems.

I'd say they were frozen due to FLIER tag issues. Not too bad, in that case they're similar to human sieges that camp you. The bug is in DF pathfinding, so it's a trade-off between enemies that can fly over your walls but get stuck sometimes and enemies that have to wait for the player to open the gate. There might be no good solution to that.

I've got a production line of  military dwarves working ok, I only have ten civilians, about 15 front line troops, about 15 second line troops who only fight the odd enemy that wanders past the front line troops, and the rest are newbies inside the civilian area of the fort. The front line troops are all legendary shield users and aren't (AFAIK) getting hit by the the fireballs, they are walking into fire on the ground started by them. It's hard to tell because no message seems to come up for that and they just eventually bleed to death. They also don't go to the hospital either for their wounds it seems.

I've tried building a limestone road outside, and it caught on fire and burnt down leaving some dead dwarves lying on furrowed soil. I tried building a long underground entrance, which works ok, mainly because other beseiging races normally flush them out before they get to my dwarves. I've tried flushing them out with my crapper axedwarves with mixed results: works ok for individual thieves but multiple ambush squads can sometime kill the axedwarves and rush to my entrance. I haven't tried marksdwarves.

I haven't had any problems with Nightwings for a few forts. Generally you can deal with elite flying bowmen by killing enough of their accompanying squads, causing them to leave the board. I've found the worst thing to do here is use marksdwarves, they'll tend to shoot the squds while getting shot themselves and don't kill stuff fast enough. Melee squads get the job done usually.

I have war elephants riding polar bears, which doesn't make sense either. They all end up dead regardless.

There's no way to prevent riding in the new DF, sadly.

Bridges and roads are vulnerable to flame. Use walls and constructed floors to avoid flames. I think stockpiles can't catch fire, so if you lay those out on grass, fire won't cross them.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:55:49 pm by darkflagrance »

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Had you any traders move onto the map? I've had this happen to me too, sometimes a group of them would stay back and the rest of them would flood over the battlements. I initially thought it was due to the same behavior as the humans who would camp outside of the fortress and assault any caravans that entered the map. But I've never let them stay long enough for that to happen though.

It is dragon fire they spit, not the normal fireballs the jotunar throw around. It'll melt down anything baring walls, natural ground, and raised bridges, though even I'm not sure the last one can take a direct hit. I suggest you try flooding the outside with an above ground cistern to try and fight the fires that spring up, or you use a limited scorched earth policy and burn the grass beforehand so that the fires can't catch anything. As for marks dwarves, don't use them away from their fortifications if they don't have good shield skills and a buckler or shield equipped.

I've had major problems with them, mainly because I've never experienced this retreat thing they exhibit in your game. They stay until the last on eats the vapors. And the fact that they don't bleed means half of the squad can be hacking away at a single dismembered nightwing while the rest of the squad is overpowered by the rest of the siege. Unless you cut them in half or remove the head, there is no other way to refocus the dwarves attention to the tones that really pose a threat.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, I've got an above ground lake on top a a layer of obsidian on top a volcano, I might rig that up to flood the map. Maybe the magma too...

I haven't faced that many elite bowmen Nightwings. One in a previous game was very nasty as it shot down a high master hunter that got caught outside hauling an elephant, then the two legendary marksdwarves behind fortifications. He did fly off the map though, the Nightwing squads got wiped out by my melee dwarves, they got distracted by ambushes and sieges as they were chasing him and he left. I've found Nightwings to be one of the tougher melee troops, but none of the melee troops worry me much on their own anymore. I lose a few dwarves here or there but I can handle that.

My marksdwarves in this game ran outside to collect stuff off a merchant's donkey that got killed, I guess not covered by forbidding death items. The only survivor lost a foot but became the first dwarf I've got to use a crutch. I might try to set some fortifications up along my entrance.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

I'm in the process of retesting my mod to see if it can be rebalanced. I just wanted to say one thing:

How the heck are spiders easy? Sure they can't break through steel armor quickly, but given enough of them, they prevent your troops from moving until they finish them off via poison or strangulation. My archers take too long to shoot them to death. If you get spiders with another siege, the spiders root your men in place while the other enemy force annihilates them.

Also, even if the leaders are bugged all over the place, the enemy elite warriors are not, so I think I can leave that problem until I figure out what causes it.

Ilikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

generals are bugged, I've had multiple come and they were all naked, but elite warrior are not bugged. I think nightwings might be a little on the hard side and may come a little bit too early. They come before goblins in most on my games.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Based on recent input I've received, I've put up v6 of Fortress Defense with Nightwings promoted to Challenge Mode; they are still available if you copy the entity_nightwingfd.txt and entity_fdchallenge.txt files into your raws folder. I'm testing this to see if people liked them enough in Basic to protest this change; if enough complaints arise, I will reverse the move.

In addition, I've decreased the amount of seasons in which enemies can attack; this is to foster trade and increase the flow of migrants to your fort who can be drafted into the military.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:29:40 am by darkflagrance »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile

Harder CM? How?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Harder CM? How?

Nightwings now come in all seasons in Challenge Mode.

If you would like it to be even harder, I can arrange that.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 80