Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 305431 times)

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12] Fortress Defense Mod: Version 0.03 Released!
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2010, 09:17:28 am »

I've been playing fortresses with this mod for the past week or so, and it's been an immeasurable improvement over the basic game. I played a lot of Orcs and a little Relentless Assault prior to df2010 dropping, so had an inkling of what I was getting into, but ... whoo, boy! My most recent defeat was to a simultaneous siege of naga, frogmen riding Giant Centipedes (?!), and war elephants. I think we killed 2 elephants in the time it took them to kill more than half of my military. D:

The one thing I miss is that the Orcs mod (or at least, the version I played) had Orcs active all year ... depending on how quickly I geared up, I would typically face a siege in Autumn or Winter of the first year. It seems that it takes entities much longer to cross the world map, now, and I'm having a hard time triggering Stranglers in the first year -- hampered even more by the fact that they (nor does anything, seemingly) appear in the winter.

I think keeping civilizations to three-active-season schedules is a good idea, but I think that they should be staggered in a way that creates a better arc. In every one of my fortresses, aside from one or two times when I would get a single civ (usually frogs) sieging more than once in a year, I would simply get a single siege by multiple civilizations (3-4) in the last few weeks of a season. "Winter is completely safe" is also a bit predictable, (can goblins show up in Winter? I haven't checked the basic raw), and something as simple as the bottom-tier civilizations showing up in Winter to harass your outdoors dwarves would add an extra element of guard.

Also, I'm asking for balance considerations -- how skilled I can get my dwarfs in any given amount of time is out of my hands, to a point, due to the randomness of training choices and how little they'll practice their weapon skill until everything else is a year+ trained. Stranglers and Frogmen (at least) on a Summer/Autumn/Winter schedule with the lowest-possible population triggers should help decouple them from the second tier, and provide additional fodder for live combat training.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2010, 09:36:33 am »

this mod is fun... however it gets annoying when everybody shows up at once  >:(
I've not managed to kill anything above a dark strangler, but then again I've not really had extensive military on account of the sieges triggering too early for me to have a full squad and the rest of the fort prepared.

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 04:47:21 am »

(can goblins show up in Winter? I haven't checked the basic raw), and something as simple as the bottom-tier civilizations showing up in Winter to harass your outdoors dwarves would add an extra element of guard.

Just to say, Goblins to have the tags to be active all 4 seasons.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 07:30:22 am »

Anyone get to giants or minotuars yet?
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2010, 05:14:13 am »

Even with the new danger rooms, it looks like the size differential for the biggest enemies may be too great for dwarves. In this mod, I play by embarking with three or four soldiers to defend against the stranglers; leather armor is sufficient against them. I tend request equipment off the first caravans and take it from them by force to arm my soldiers. I'll admit, I haven't survived sieges by late game enemies, though I had intended them to be a challenge.

I've finally found the time to begin working on this mod again. I'm planning a Fortress Defense Mod Lite, which removes Giants and Minotaurs (they feel a bit too vanilla to me anyway) and adds a couple of weaker enemies so that the power arc changes.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

ZaZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2010, 08:11:30 am »

Keep them but add more variety too them 2-3 different kinds of giants or minotaurs or other siege creatures wouldn't be bad if some were weaker and some stronger, maybe the stronger force the weaker to come with them to siege you as well but some variety is welcome. As well as sometimes getting weaker sieges occasionally too.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2010, 04:03:02 am »

I'm working the kinks out from the next update.

Latest news: Tigerwomen Axelords on war Grizzly Bears!

Thus far, the mod appears to be working fine. Using the danger room, all comers are easily dispatched.

I'll release the update later tonight, and rewrite the first post soon.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:06:42 am by darkflagrance »

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2010, 01:46:34 pm »

Thanks for the mod

I tried making something like this myself and it failed horribly ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:00:34 pm by kendo »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12] Fortress Defense Mod LITE Released: Rebalancing Almost Complete!
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 07:39:09 pm »

Alright, I have released the Fortress Defense Lite version. I am now compiling the removed races into a separate file along with a new challenge race for those who find the Lite mod easy.

Note that if you want to avoid an enemy siege or have it attack you immediately, you can edit the entity_fortressdefense file to decrease or increase progress triggers (or remove them altogether). Decreasing progress triggers causes enemy civs to attack sooner, increasing them makes them attack later, and removing them causes them to never attack at all.

tzkal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2010, 02:09:02 pm »

Awesome mod. Just when I was thinking there wasn't enough Fun in DF, I find this.

No migrants? Think all the blood and gore may have had something to do with it?
I can just imagine Urist sweeping up piles of bones with his bloody broom, wondering why no one comes around here anymore.

orcishwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2010, 11:53:00 pm »

epic mod. its definitely a mod i will be playing in all my forts, as goblins just are not good enough of a challenge. my only problem was the lack of graphics... so im making some! frogmen and stranglers are done, im going to try to finish them all up within a few days, is anyone interested in me finishing it/posting it up on dffd once done?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:00:38 am by orcishwarrior »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2010, 11:58:40 pm »

epic mod. its definitely a mod i will be playing in all my forts, as goblins just are not good enough of a challenge. my only problem was the lack of graphics... so im making some! frogmen and stranglers are done, im going to try to finish them all up within a few days, is anyone interested in me finishing it/posting it up on dffd once done?

If you create graphics for this mod, I will link to them in the various OPs.

In other words, they would be greatly appreciated!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2010, 01:50:20 am »

Heh. When I get my normal computer, back I think I'll get this mod and see how well it merges with Ironhand's graphics.

Until then, this is looking shiny and fun from back here.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

orcishwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2010, 11:33:25 am »

If you create graphics for this mod, I will link to them in the various OPs.

In other words, they would be greatly appreciated!

Blendecs are done, albeit they look more like minotaurs with deer skulls for heads....... naga will be done today, as well as (i hope, if i have enough time) the tigermen, hell maybe even elephants as they only need like 2-4 sprites, i might finish it up today, 

preview, frogmen

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:35:16 am by orcishwarrior »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12/13] Fortress Defense Mod II: New Version Released!
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2010, 11:02:28 pm »

^I'm looking forward to seeing your finished sprites! Very nice work so far!

---

New release! I've added three new civs, including the two I temporarily removed in the previous version release, as challenges for those who think the other civs are easily handled (if such people exist). Feel free to download it, because the three extra civs are installed separately from the rest of the mod.

After this release, I'm decently happy with the progress of the mod. I might put up a chart with the arrival times of enemy civs. Also, people should feel free to edit civs in the mod or add and remove them as they see fit.

Since Toady One changed how world gen works in the latest version, I'm a bit wary of how that will affect the process of tracking thirteen extra civs in game, but I managed to generate a world with all thirteen with no problem (only 25 years of world gen and a world population of 775 though >_>). I would stick to large or medium regions with 25 civilizations, however. Therefore, I think Fortress Defense should be compatible with both .12 and .13.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:52:22 am by darkflagrance »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 80