Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 309389 times)

orcishwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12/13] Fortress Defense Mod II: New Version Released!
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2010, 11:15:59 pm »

New release! I've added three new civs, including the two I temporarily removed in the previous version

*facepalm* three more races to draw  :'( 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2010, 11:24:26 pm »

New release! I've added three new civs, including the two I temporarily removed in the previous version

Luckily, the last one only comes in wrestler flavor   ;D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

orcishwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2010, 11:43:32 pm »

Luckily, the last one only comes in wrestler flavor   ;D
yay!
all should be done tomorrow, or.... soonish i guess

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2010, 04:00:23 pm »

Science time - I'm going to copy your giant civ and replace the [CREATURE:JOTUNFD] with [CREATURE:DEMON_1], then gen and see what happens.

EDIT: Fuck, doesn't work. I want demons sieging me from all directions!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:05:08 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12] Fortress Defense Mod LITE Released: Rebalancing Almost Complete!
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2010, 02:09:16 am »

Alright, I have released the Fortress Defense Lite version. I am now compiling the removed races into a separate file along with a new challenge race for those who find the Lite mod easy.

That's good.  In the previous version, I was facing five simultaneous sieges in the fall of my second year.  Stranglers, war blendecs, furies, nightwings, and thunder giants all coming down on just 34 dwarves.  I try to keep an "open door" policy and greet all my invaders personally, but that was just ridiculous.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2010, 01:56:25 pm »

Alright, I have released the Fortress Defense Lite version. I am now compiling the removed races into a separate file along with a new challenge race for those who find the Lite mod easy.

That's good.  In the previous version, I was facing five simultaneous sieges in the fall of my second year.  Stranglers, war blendecs, furies, nightwings, and thunder giants all coming down on just 34 dwarves.  I try to keep an "open door" policy and greet all my invaders personally, but that was just ridiculous.

Yes. I have reorganized the progress triggers so that this can be avoided if you avoid trading as well. The mod should give you sufficient time to get defenses up before the armor-wearing stuff comes to tear you to shreds.

Science time - I'm going to copy your giant civ and replace the [CREATURE:JOTUNFD] with [CREATURE:DEMON_1], then gen and see what happens.

EDIT: Fuck, doesn't work. I want demons sieging me from all directions!

You could always make the demons yourself...although that would be a lot of work and they probably wouldn't be made of steam.

Also, college has just begun for me, and things might be getting very busy around here, so I might not make any more significant changes to the mod in the near future.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2010, 04:02:30 pm »

Yes. I have reorganized the progress triggers so that this can be avoided if you avoid trading as well. The mod should give you sufficient time to get defenses up before the armor-wearing stuff comes to tear you to shreds.
Ah, so the trading is what did me in.  So will I still get migrants and not too many monsters if I have a lot of produced wealth but no exported wealth?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2010, 08:48:14 pm »

Ah, so the trading is what did me in.  So will I still get migrants and not too many monsters if I have a lot of produced wealth but no exported wealth?

This will hopefully be the case. Dwarf Fortress refuses to send sieges based on population triggers alone, and I had to choose between trade and production triggers. I picked trade because you can slowly improve your army through migrants and the re-smelting of metal looted from dead invaders without needing significant amounts of trade, but it's harder to build up a defense with a limit on home production.

Bear in mind though that Dwarf Fortress can sometimes be unpredictable (sometimes the population limit works, sometimes it doesn't, for instance) and the exact mechanics behind triggers are the result of mere trial and error rather than a precise dissection of the code.

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2010, 11:45:43 am »

im trying to make this mod work, but for some reason the enemy civ's seem to die out pretty quick (tried one fort, but no sieges while i was at 120 pop). Can some1 give a seed that gives as many enemy civs as possible :D plz ?
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2010, 08:28:45 pm »

The world gen in 0.13 has some...problems for this mod. It is theoretically possible to generate a world with many enemy civs there, but the populations seem to be dramatically lower and thus imply greater fragility in the process of generating a world.

I would therefore recommending generating your world in 31.12.

I have some world gen tips which you should make sure are being considered:

First, don't generate an old world. I usually stop at 25 years.

Second, you almost certainly need to generate a region, not islands.

Third, you may want to up the number of civs that are spawned in the world gen parameters (20-> 25 etc.)

Fourth, when you embark, check the civs that have access to your embark location by pressing tab to make sure you have enemies.

Finally, this is the world gen of the fortress that provided the screen shot in the op:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

orcishwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2010, 12:18:29 pm »

sorry for the long delay of the graphics pack! it should be done today or tomorrow, only 4 races to go  :)
well, that and a little bit of tweaking to the already done races (races that are completely done= naga, blendec, frogmen, elephants, stranglers)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2010, 07:45:51 pm »

I don't seem to ever be encountering stranglers before tigermen/frogmen. I know they're there, I saw them when I started the fort, but I pretty much always get wrecked by the frog/tigermen beforehand. Maybe allow stranglers to invade in the first year? It's not like it's hard to embark with a couple of armor set's worth of leather.

I also think it's a bit strange that it goes from no equipment (stranglers) directly to bronze with mixed in steel (frogmen). Maybe frogmen should be copper with mixed in bronze?

With all the complaining done, this is an awesome mod, and I'm having a blast with it, despite being regularly wrecked by frogmen.  :P

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2010, 09:38:27 pm »

I don't seem to ever be encountering stranglers before tigermen/frogmen. I know they're there, I saw them when I started the fort, but I pretty much always get wrecked by the frog/tigermen beforehand. Maybe allow stranglers to invade in the first year? It's not like it's hard to embark with a couple of armor set's worth of leather.

I also think it's a bit strange that it goes from no equipment (stranglers) directly to bronze with mixed in steel (frogmen). Maybe frogmen should be copper with mixed in bronze?

With all the complaining done, this is an awesome mod, and I'm having a blast with it, despite being regularly wrecked by frogmen.  :P

Stranglers are still coming, correct? Otherwise, I can't guarantee the arrival of some races before others because Dwarf Fortress is partially a world simulator, and only partially a fortress-playing game. The randomness of the former component tends to influence the latter; if Frogmen and Tigermen are closer to the fort than stranglers, they'll come sooner.

Nevertheless, I have taken your feedback into consideration and made some slight changes for version 0.02. I had considered giving Frogmen wood for balance reasons, but giving them unmeltable armor just makes getting rid of their stuff a ridiculous hassle and a burden on long-term play.

Also, if anyone else encounters problems, report them, or I cannot respond to them!

sorry for the long delay of the graphics pack! it should be done today or tomorrow, only 4 races to go  :)
well, that and a little bit of tweaking to the already done races (races that are completely done= naga, blendec, frogmen, elephants, stranglers)

Good to hear this! Take your time, no pressure...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:40:13 pm by darkflagrance »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: [0.31.12/14] Fortress Defense Mod II: Slight Bugfixes Done
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2010, 12:25:03 am »

They showed up once in an older version of the mod, and even then frogmen showed up before them.

I'll try it with a fort closer to them this time and see what comes up.  :)

Edit: Yeah I started closer to them this time and even then frogmen got to me first. Closer to the top on the races screen on the world map means closer to the site, right?

If so then yeah. No stranglers.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:33:10 pm by Seriyu »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12/14] Fortress Defense Mod II: Slight Bugfixes Done
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2010, 04:01:53 pm »

Since invaders seem to have been greatly nerfed in .13/.14 I've decided to give this famous mod a try, I miss the brutality and oceans of blood and barf on my doorstep!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 80