Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 309278 times)

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a look at updating it by hand, and it seems...daunting? I don't have any idea what I'm doing though, so that doesn't help at all. Adding prepare:recover tags and gaits into the creature files is probably most of what you have to do? But there are also creature_variations that add punches and kicks now, so maybe it would be better to use those? I don't really know how to do that, though I am going to try after seeing if anything changed in Broken Arrow and using a tanning tweak I found to get more leather from bigger creatures.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried to update the dinosaurs. Conclusions: Not even remotely good enough at modding to even attempt an update for this.

White tigermen have moved, armor mechanics have changed, projectile physics have been totally reworked, there are gaits and morale and climbing and jumping. It's a big job, especially since the whole point of FD is to give interesting challenges.

So. Cheerleading division reporting for duty: darkflagrance! You can do it, yes you can! We like your mod on its own and as part of Masterwork! It's one of my must-haves!

But if you really don't want to or don't feel up to it, that's okay too.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Morale, climbing and jumping aren't really too necessary to update. Gaits and attack prepare and recover times should be about it.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FD creatures have always been about testing your defenses in ways goblins don't. Steel weapons, berserkers, fliers, frogmen.

Not to mention the fact that discipline has a huge effect on the difficulty of repelling a siege now, where it didn't before. Legendary climbers will just go right over your walls, and the new entity behaviors will make having all these things in a living world of reasonable age so that you can have real history kind of tricky. FD is pretty inventive.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile

As putnam said updating the raws really shouldn't be that big a deal other then adding a few lines in some places. I might take a look myself.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.xx] Fortress Defense Mod II v12: Hellfire Imps with real Hellfire!
« Reply #740 on: August 13, 2014, 07:14:14 pm »

Has anybody tried updating this yet?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Legionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 14, 2014, 09:53:52 pm »

I really like this mod.  I think it makes the game much more fun for me. 
I hope you don't have too much difficulty updating it to the new version - I plan to play the raws off of it once it is working.

This was the very first mod I ever installed - and is still my favorite.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 15, 2014, 11:13:50 am »

Definitely my favorite and the only mod I use. I'm holding off playing .40 until this is updated :)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 16, 2014, 04:18:20 pm »

Alright, this is definitely the most I've looked into any creature modding, but I read up on the relevant tokens carefully before messing with them.  If anyone has any further suggestions or finds any problems, I'll see about tending to them.  This is completely untested at the moment.

Now I'm going to throw this on top of Modest Accelerated Mash and see what happens :)

Download Link:  Fortress Defense 2014

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:12:26 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 17, 2014, 01:10:31 am »

Thanks mate. Watch out, the ferric elves have a couple personality traits that are out of date. Also there are some START_GROUP_NUMBER tokens that are different now? That's what the errorlog is complaining about, at least. Worldgen seems to work, so. BABY STEPS, MAN.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 17, 2014, 01:56:18 am »

I had actually never noticed the error log before... thanks for the pointers.  I'll have a look at them.

Edit:

-Removed or updated some defunct personality and entity tokens.  Nothing shows up in the error log now.
-Also removed the minimod that was previously packaged with the archive, since I imagine it also needs some updating, but doesn't seem worth the effort.  There are other mods already released for .40 that aim to clean up and optimize the game without removing content.  You'd be better off applying Fortress Defense to one of those.

Download Link:  Fortress Defense 2014 r2

I'm wondering what aspects of the personality/ethics systems were updated in .40 that FD isn't taking advantage of now.  I'll probably be looking into that soon.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:11:55 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 18, 2014, 01:29:50 pm »

The whole dwarf soul/mind got overhauled in a big way, so the more intelligent foes probably need their minds updated too. I have no idea what the details of that are like.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 18, 2014, 01:56:50 pm »

You might also want to mod in discipline skills for civ races (and some other things like megabeasts) until morale is hopefully fixed.  It also helps invaders not run away at the first attack.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 18, 2014, 02:21:14 pm »

You might also want to mod in discipline skills for civ races (and some other things like megabeasts) until morale is hopefully fixed.  It also helps invaders not run away at the first attack.
He did that, according to the changelog. Well. To the FD races and things, anyway. Tweaking the vanilla raws is something I do a lot, but it's a personal preference thing and therefore probably appropriate to leave up to the user.

(I put [SHELL] on chitin and scale, and [HORN] on nails. sometimes I put [pearl] on feather, but mostly they're just useless. Anesthetize the bones down to 30 and sensitize the organs up by 10-15 points each. )

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 18, 2014, 05:20:24 pm »

Yeah, I added natural discipline skills.  I also noticed afterwards that raising Bravery as a racial personality trait has a similar effect, but I don't know right now exactly how the two methods compare.

I was on vacation last week, and back to the grind today.  So updating the personalities/ethics of the FD races is definitely something I want to do, but I can't say when I'll get around to it.  I'll admit upfront that I'm wildly inconsistent when it comes to making progress on personal projects as long as I'm working a full time job and dealing with my family every day.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 80