Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 309510 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Your feedback is appreciated Stragus! I'm glad to see the invasions and challenge are functional. I'm actually a little surprised Ruthertaurs and Beakwolves still appear easy.

I need to know if any enemies that should be using equipment (Pandashi, Badgermen) are coming naked instead. From the sound of it, it seems the War Elephant Full Plate is doing its job :)

Perhaps the shoddy dwarf combat AI can be made up for by the waves of mercenary cannon fodder willing to die for the free drinks at the tavern? ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 05:37:26 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Stragus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Your feedback is appreciated Stagus! I'm glad to see the invasions and challenge are functional. I'm actually a little surprised Ruthertaurs and Beakwolves still appear easy.

To put things in context, I'm maintaining a military of 90 dwarves (50 melee, 40 markmen), over half the size of my population, with the added challenge of not using traps and defending an outdoor open courtyard. And it's really challenging.

Still, I find myself fighting the stupidity of my dwarves just as much (can't order to stand ground, they charge anything that comes into sight, charge through intended tactical chokepoints, can't disengage/retreat, marksmen rushing to club enemies with their crossbows, etc.). I can't blame the mod for any of that though. :)

I need to know if any enemies that should be using equipment (Pandashi, Badgermen) are coming naked instead. From the sound of it, it seems the War Elephant Full Plate is doing its job :)

I inspected the save backups made before each battle, here's my observations:
Pandashis: Naked, no weapon, no armor in both sieges, they can still punch hard though
Naga: Equipped (weapon + shield + shirt + helm), they like bismuth bronze
Dingo men: Equipped (weapon + shield + shirt + helm), they like bronze and iron
Ruthertaurs: Equipped (weapon + shield + shirt + helm), they like bismuth bronze
Beak Wolves: No equipment, as intended I assume
Giant Fiend Spiders: No equipment, as intended I assume, they are incredibly dangerous
Jotunar: Equipped (weapon + shield + shirt + helm), they like steel and bronze. These guys burned down the whole map! Along with 8-10 dwarves. And one of them somehow "teleported" through the wall next to my marksmen (there was a roof, he couldn't have climbed over).
War Elephants: Equipped in full plate. They are terrifying.

I have never fought badgermen, they seem rather friendly and prefer to flood my tavern instead. The ones at the tavern have no equipment.

Perhaps the shoddy dwarf combat AI can be made up for by the waves of mercenary cannon fodder willing to die for the free drinks at the tavern? ;)

Eh, I'm counting on regular immigration waves to replace lost dwarves... :) A frontal fight against War Elephants or Giant Fiend Spiders can wipe out 60 dwarves easily. Only perfect execution of tactics with chokepoints can get that number down to 10 or so. It is brutal.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 05:01:43 am by Stragus »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

I inspected the save backups made before each battle, here's my observations:
Pandashis: Naked, no weapon, no armor in both sieges, they can still punch hard though
Naga: Equipped (weapon + shield + shirt + helm), they like bismuth bronze
Dingo men: Equipped (weapon + shield + shirt + helm), they like bronze and iron
Ruthertaurs: Equipped (weapon + shield + shirt + helm), they like bismuth bronze
Beak Wolves: No equipment, as intended I assume
Giant Fiend Spiders: No equipment, as intended I assume, they are incredibly dangerous
Jotunar: Equipped (weapon + shield + shirt + helm), they like steel and bronze. These guys burned down the whole map! Along with 8-10 dwarves. And one of them somehow "teleported" through the wall next to my marksmen (there was a roof, he couldn't have climbed over).
War Elephants: Equipped in full plate. They are terrifying.

I have never fought badgermen, they seem rather friendly and prefer to flood my tavern instead. The ones at the tavern have no equipment.

Eh, I'm counting on regular immigration waves to replace lost dwarves... :) A frontal fight against War Elephants or Giant Fiend Spiders can wipe out 60 dwarves easily. Only perfect execution of tactics with chokepoints can get that number down to 10 or so. It is brutal.

The friendly badgermen drunks sound adorable! I did fear that my fixes to their lack of equipment had not taken; I'm going to have to do some more testing. Thanks for the confirmation!

I too have found that Great Fiend Spiders and War Elephants are incredibly punishing. I can recall test sieges where entire squads of champions and weaponlords threw away their lives because I misplanned an assault on their formations. I assume handling them will be easier soon considering Toady is working on the Army Arc at the moment and should be doing bugfixes on military behavior.

Stragus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The friendly badgermen drunks sound adorable! I did fear that my fixes to their lack of equipment had not taken; I'm going to have to do some more testing. Thanks for the confirmation!

As some of them turned less friendly (because a fight of drunks ended up in the death of a badgerman?), I can now confirm that badgermen don't arrive with any equipment either.

I too have found that Great Fiend Spiders and War Elephants are incredibly punishing.

Absolutely, never before have I found the capital letter 'E' so absolutely terrifying!
http://www.rayforce.net/df001.png

Tatjam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it intended that visitors destroy stuff at your fortress? A Rime Giantess thief visitor toppled the carpenter workshop, I sended my military to kill him just in case...

Also, any idea why all visitors from the mod are "thieves"?

Awesome mod, sieges are much more fun now  :)

Cheers!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Is it intended that visitors destroy stuff at your fortress? A Rime Giantess thief visitor toppled the carpenter workshop, I sended my military to kill him just in case...

Also, any idea why all visitors from the mod are "thieves"?

Awesome mod, sieges are much more fun now  :)

Cheers!

The Fortress Defense Mod civs are designated as theives to make them always hostile to Dwarves and related civilizations.

Some of the Fortress Defense civs take pleasure in destroying buildings; they have the inherent tendency to do so as creatures due to BUILDING_DESTROYER. You should probably execute any such visitors you see or restrict their movement/access to critical structures.

As some of them turned less friendly (because a fight of drunks ended up in the death of a badgerman?), I can now confirm that badgermen don't arrive with any equipment either.

I too have found that Great Fiend Spiders and War Elephants are incredibly punishing.

Absolutely, never before have I found the capital letter 'E' so absolutely terrifying!
http://www.rayforce.net/df001.png

I'm going to take another look at the equipment issue when I can. It's a bug I haven't been able to address so far. Still, the otherwise naked civs have been augmented with additional toughness to tide them over through their hopefully temporary nakedness.

Gotham123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi I love this mod and all the civilizations it brings. and I just want to know one thing. How do I edit the raws so I get Beak wolf visitors at my tavern? and mercenaries also (and pretty much every single non-talking civs like Giant Fiend Spiders) I dream of having a Military full of wolves.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Hi I love this mod and all the civilizations it brings. and I just want to know one thing. How do I edit the raws so I get Beak wolf visitors at my tavern? and mercenaries also (and pretty much every single non-talking civs like Giant Fiend Spiders) I dream of having a Military full of wolves.

Try adding [INTELLIGENT] to their raws

Isaac23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have this mod and I'm about 4 years in a fort with a bunch of mod civs, I've seen pandari and ferric elf thieves once but no sieges. How long does it take?

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have this mod and I'm about 4 years in a fort with a bunch of mod civs, I've seen pandari and ferric elf thieves once but no sieges. How long does it take?

It really does depend a lot on the luck of the draw. Placing your embark closer to hostile baddies always increases the odds, but there is so much you can do if your neighbors have a low population or don't feel like getting their WAAGH on. 

If nothing is happening I'd gen a new world that is smaller sized. This'll cause more interaction.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:28:51 am by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Isaac23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm using 42.04, does that matter? Also, my civ screen has all of the mod civs as at peace with my dwarves.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

I'm using 42.04, does that matter? Also, my civ screen has all of the mod civs as at peace with my dwarves.

Feel free to upload your save so I can check it out.

If there are thieves, it should mean that sieges will eventually take place. Dwarf Fortress can be a little random when it comes to enemies arriving.

Isaac23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11719

here you go, I'll keep playing and see what happens.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

I've downloaded the save and am checking it out.

Isaac23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hope you like my fort. The very first pandashi thief punched my militia commander so hard he shattered his upper spine. Dudes still training and good to go.

edit: Dude, I made a new fort in a new world and I'm getting like pandashi men martial artists and ferric elf visitors, it's neat. No attacks yet.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:50:03 am by Isaac23 »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 80