Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 309497 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Well i've let the game run for a long time now its approaching FPS death because of how popular my bar is.  I started with every single race in the neighbor screen on embark.  Only the dark stragglers have invaded, the werewolves? were one that have approached the border twice but ran away each time.  The Tavern has an army of visitors now from every single neighbor though, i even killed some of them to try to get them hostile, but its not happening.  Poor elephant shoulda known something was up when 40 armored dwarfs stormed in and executed him.

3 gobbie sieges, 1 really strange one that had 5 dwarfs, 3 humans, 2 dark stranglers a few naga men too.  They came in and just hung ou t at the border, they were quickly dispatched, as soon as their first person died they all ran away.  I was also next to a tower and the undead also run away on sieges, almost forgot that.  Hope that helps out in some way.

Oh also kill all frogmen onsite, they just come into the tavern and start breaking everything, then they roam around your fort breaking everything.  Guys are dicks.

I've isolated the likely source of this dissatisfying behavior to the creature files right now. Unfortunately, I can't get any further than that, so the only solution I've seen is to rewrite all of the creature files. This is taking me a while, but I hope to be done with most of it, if not all of it, by the end of this weekend, unless something comes up.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've isolated the likely source of this dissatisfying behavior to the creature files right now. Unfortunately, I can't get any further than that, so the only solution I've seen is to rewrite all of the creature files. This is taking me a while, but I hope to be done with most of it, if not all of it, by the end of this weekend, unless something comes up.

Soldier on sir. I am playing a fort where half the sieges run away, but due to a catastrophic mass casualty event that wiped out all thirty of my trained Dwarves I'm still barely hanging on. Dark stranglers are a joke until 150 of them show up at once and you have 20 well equipped but zero skill militia. Lets just say I don't feel shorted in the challenge department even as-is.

Also I sill have like sixty dancing badger-men and they are cratering my FPS every time they start a new dance but I just don't have the heart to kill the little buggers. They are just so merry and cheerful!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Soldier on sir. I am playing a fort where half the sieges run away, but due to a catastrophic mass casualty event that wiped out all thirty of my trained Dwarves I'm still barely hanging on. Dark stranglers are a joke until 150 of them show up at once and you have 20 well equipped but zero skill militia. Lets just say I don't feel shorted in the challenge department even as-is.

Also I sill have like sixty dancing badger-men and they are cratering my FPS every time they start a new dance but I just don't have the heart to kill the little buggers. They are just so merry and cheerful!

Thank you for the encouragement!

I wish I had good news right now, but the fix I tried currently still does not work. I'm going to have to push the next version to later this week.

Edit: I found the source of the bug. Natural skills prevent units from equipping things not related to their highest natural skill.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:27:13 am by darkflagrance »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [0.42.06] Fortress Defense Mod II R v16: Dances with Warwolves
« Reply #888 on: February 24, 2016, 09:55:26 am »

The update is finally ready.

---Changes for 0.16 R2

-Removed natural skills that prevented armor from being worn
-Tightened down the metal access of the bonus civs
-A couple of civs are now using steel tissues
-Broadened Full Plate access
-Tweaked dodging, seasonal arrivals, and made civs arrive earlier
-Many Fortress Defense enemies can now be recruited

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 24, 2016, 11:06:57 am »

Just as I was getting the badger-man removal magma chamber ready too. There were just so many of them, and they always hung out in temples and refused to petition for residence... the obvious fix was to make only one temple they could visit, dedicate it to the god of death and nightmares, and then prepare... special plumbing leading into it.

A couple questions:

- Do visiting building destroyers still hulk out and topple everything while remaining non-hostile?
- Did you get the vanishing siege bug? I know you were talking about it above but never saw a yes/no.

Also, thanks for the new version. Time to gen up a new world and see how long I can last; I love this mod because it's impossible for things to go stale.   

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 24, 2016, 12:06:18 pm »

Just as I was getting the badger-man removal magma chamber ready too. There were just so many of them, and they always hung out in temples and refused to petition for residence... the obvious fix was to make only one temple they could visit, dedicate it to the god of death and nightmares, and then prepare... special plumbing leading into it.

A couple questions:

- Do visiting building destroyers still hulk out and topple everything while remaining non-hostile?
- Did you get the vanishing siege bug? I know you were talking about it above but never saw a yes/no.

Also, thanks for the new version. Time to gen up a new world and see how long I can last; I love this mod because it's impossible for things to go stale.

Yes, after having my own inn filled with armies of Greater Badgerman thieves I myself thought it would be cool to be able to recruit Fortress Defense races, so right now running the latest version I have my very own Badgerman Bladebiter squad. I will fight the badgermen with my own badgermen!

I got vanishing sieges once in a while, but it doesn't seem to affect all of a civ's sieges anymore. I used to get them a lot when I started initial testing, and before I switched to 42.06, but my later test forts did not experience more than 1 vanishing siege each.

Visiting building destroyers still destroy things. I recommend you have your military kill order them (this is what I do). If I stop visiting building destroyers from destroying your buildings, then the sieging ones won't be able to destroy buildings either.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:15:59 pm by darkflagrance »

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: February 26, 2016, 12:17:10 am »

Uh, badger men aren't so cute anymore. About eighty of them showed up. I had to fight, because of cats and doors and levers... One soldier's head ended up on the roof of the archery tower, three stories up. I had to deconstruct stuff to get it down. Time to replace my losses.... with badger men!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 26, 2016, 04:04:24 pm »

Uh, badger men aren't so cute anymore. About eighty of them showed up. I had to fight, because of cats and doors and levers... One soldier's head ended up on the roof of the archery tower, three stories up. I had to deconstruct stuff to get it down. Time to replace my losses.... with badger men!

I'm glad to hear that the badger men have finally become purveyors of !!!FUN!!!  :D

I'm currently working on the next minor update to this version. I'm making all the late civs arrive sooner, because there still seem to be issues with arrivals in this version. I'm also going to need to buff Stranglers - they're out of place in the current version. Also, I'm testing an interaction to make mounts fearless.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 26, 2016, 06:19:05 pm »

I wouldn't be so quick about the stranglers needing a buff. It might just be my world, but they arrive in HUGE numbers compared to the other attackers so far. Like most are 40ish with the above mentioned Badger Man assault being very large at 80. Dark Stranglers started off at 120+ and have only gotten more numerous, and it makes them threatening in a whole different way. They literally overwhelmed my trap belt Zerg style with bodies clogging everything and still had the numbers to overwhelm and wipe out a squad that got isolated.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 27, 2016, 02:38:49 am »

I wouldn't be so quick about the stranglers needing a buff. It might just be my world, but they arrive in HUGE numbers compared to the other attackers so far. Like most are 40ish with the above mentioned Badger Man assault being very large at 80. Dark Stranglers started off at 120+ and have only gotten more numerous, and it makes them threatening in a whole different way. They literally overwhelmed my trap belt Zerg style with bodies clogging everything and still had the numbers to overwhelm and wipe out a squad that got isolated.

After the current testing round, I decided you were right. I also decided to prevent mercenary races from being building destroyers.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 04, 2016, 05:04:16 pm »

Can war elephants climb? I have a snipersnest overlooking my entrance but right before an ambush there was a tree infront of it and one elephant got through to them somehow.

So far fairly meek attacks that I havent had any problem but if these types of attacks become more common then I will be ground to pieces.

This mod is awesome. Great amount of variety.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 04, 2016, 06:53:20 pm »

Can war elephants climb? I have a snipersnest overlooking my entrance but right before an ambush there was a tree infront of it and one elephant got through to them somehow.

So far fairly meek attacks that I havent had any problem but if these types of attacks become more common then I will be ground to pieces.

This mod is awesome. Great amount of variety.

This is the answer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Even no-skill climber goblins can climb the sides of towers, so I'm not surprised other races can pull it off.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the mod! I appreciate your feedback. I'm actually working on ramping up the threat and variety even more for the next release.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [0.42.06] Fortress Defense Mod II R v17: Dances with Warwolves
« Reply #897 on: March 08, 2016, 10:57:27 pm »

I posted a new update that buffs Warwolves, Furies, and Dark Stranglers (the latter only a little), and nerfs Great Fiend Spiders, and tries to address the problem of fleeing mounts.

Here is the full changelog:

---Changes for 0.17 R3

-Spurring: makes animals that accompany sieges gain NOFEAR
-Warwolves have custom profession names and can turn others into Warwolves, also should have steel teeth and claws
-Furies use steel equipment, experimenting with skill learn rates
-Nerfed spiders to be easier to wound and fire webs less often, but have in-built wrestling
-Gave Dark Stranglers natural dodging skill
-Replaced scimitars with long swords for anything that used them
-Some removal of redundant/obsolete tokens

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 09, 2016, 11:38:58 am »

I posted a new update that buffs Warwolves, Furies, and Dark Stranglers (the latter only a little), and nerfs Great Fiend Spiders, and tries to address the problem of fleeing mounts.

---Changes for 0.17 R3

-Warwolves have custom profession names and can turn others into Warwolves, also should have steel teeth and claws
-Nerfed spiders to be easier to wound and fire webs less often, but have in-built wrestling

Did you make mercenary races lose the building destroyer tag? I know you mentioned you were going to do that above, and this directly impacts my ability to see how many helmets an Ettin will wear. 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 09, 2016, 04:33:32 pm »

---Changes for 0.17 R3

Did you make mercenary races lose the building destroyer tag? I know you mentioned you were going to do that above, and this directly impacts my ability to see how many helmets an Ettin will wear.

Ettins are not mercenary races and cannot petition for long-term residency. I did remove it from other races like Frogmen that are capable of actually joining your fort.

You can however disable buildingdestroyer even during an active fortress save simply by deleting the BUILDINGDESTROYER:2 tag from the creature_fdchallenge.txt file. Jotuns are the first race there, and you should see the tag the moment you open the file. All you have to do is remove the tag entirely, or just the brackets around the tag.

In fact, here is the the resultant edited txt. You can just paste it into creature_fdchallenge.txt, making sure that any previous contents were erased first.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:40:14 pm by darkflagrance »

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 80