Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 309395 times)

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.42.06] Fortress Defense Mod II R v17: Infection of the Warwolf Curse!
« Reply #945 on: April 21, 2016, 11:27:21 pm »

So I've been messing around with spites because I was tired of seeing the badgermen as b's. I love SpaceFox and GemSet graphics. First of all, I have absolutely no idea how to mod any part of this game, though I can copy-pasta like no one's business. The great thing about GemSet is that there's a base for every single one of the races that this mod adds. So all I did was recolor to something that made sense. I can totally make most of the races with all of the weapons in GemSet style. I haven't asked GemSet's creator for permission or anything. I was just dicking around. I have no clue how I would put this into the game. I really like this mod and I want to contribute in whichever ways I can. This is what I can do. Hopes it's cool.   

The first 4 exists in GemSet and I recolor and added weapons for the other ones. The last 2 are supposed to be honeybadgermen while the others are greater badgermen. The redish is supposed to be bronze and the blueish is steel. I imagine one would be used for regular and the other lords.

Working on different ways they hold the weapons as well as different style of the same weapons to see how they look.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:31:25 am by dead »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 22, 2016, 10:32:43 pm »

Wow! That art is awesome! I definitely want to include it in the game!

I don't know if I need permissions or not. But I'm going to try to cook up a mod that will make these work.

Edit: Name the small badgerman graphics file fdb1.png, and the small pandashi graphics fdb2.png, then create the following graphics_*.txt files in the graphics folder for a dwarf fortress client or save you want to use these graphics in:

Feel free to ask for permission from the GemSet creator, and/or continue creating new graphics for bonus/challenge races  :D

graphics_fdb1.txt
Code: [Select]
graphics_fdb1

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:FDB1]
  [FILE:fdb1.png]
  [TILE_DIM:24:24]
  [PAGE_DIM:18:1]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:GREAT_BADGER_FD]
[DEFAULT:FDB1:2:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

[RECRUIT:FDB1:2:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[WRESTLER:FDB1:4:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[SWORDSMAN:FDB1:14:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[AXEMAN:FDB1:12:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[SPEARMAN:FDB1:10:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[PIKEMAN:FDB1:10:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[CROSSBOWMAN:FDB1:16:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[BOWMAN:FDB1:16:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[HAMMERMAN:FDB1:6:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MACEMAN:FDB1:8:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

[CHAMPION:FDB1:17:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_WRESTLER:FDB1:5:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_SWORDSMAN:FDB1:15:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_AXEMAN:FDB1:13:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_SPEARMAN:FDB1:11:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_PIKEMAN:FDB1:11:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_BOWMAN:FDB1:16:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_CROSSBOWMAN:FDB1:16:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_HAMMERMAN:FDB1:7:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_MACEMAN:FDB1:5:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

graphics_fdb2.txt
Code: [Select]
graphics_fdb2

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:FDB2]
  [FILE:fdb2.png]
  [TILE_DIM:24:24]
  [PAGE_DIM:12:1]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:PANDASHI_FD]
[DEFAULT:FD:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

[RECRUIT:FD:2:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[WRESTLER:FD:3:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[SWORDSMAN:FD:9:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[AXEMAN:FD:4:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[SPEARMAN:FD:8:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[PIKEMAN:FD:6:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[CROSSBOWMAN:FD:10:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[BOWMAN:FD:10:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[HAMMERMAN:FD:3:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MACEMAN:FD:5:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[LASHER:FD:11:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

[CHAMPION:FD:7:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_WRESTLER:FD:3:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_SWORDSMAN:FD:9:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_AXEMAN:FD:4:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_SPEARMAN:FD:8:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_PIKEMAN:FD:6:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_BOWMAN:FD:10:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_CROSSBOWMAN:FD:10:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_HAMMERMAN:FD:3:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_MACEMAN:FD:5:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[MASTER_LASHER:FD:11:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:23:43 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 23, 2016, 01:59:27 pm »

Some bladebiters at play

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 23, 2016, 04:41:15 pm »

Cool. I took a look at the syntax of the txt and general sprite guides. They look pretty straight forward. Thanks for the txt, I'll add it to my game once I get a chance. I'm having a little bit too much fun making the sprites at the moment. Also, I made these SpaceFox inspired pandas. They kinda look like depressed pandas. Lol

I keep forgetting weapons that no one ever uses, like knives and blowguns. I like these a lot more than the GemSet version that I did. They're cute and all angsty and they've come to laid waste to your fortress, now you'll know why you fear the pandas.   

In other news, I had a MASSIVE badger siege. My invasion count is set to 150, there are like 20-ish visitors, there are some crundle and some imps somewhere underground. Either way, 242 count is obscene.

I thought FUN! was to be had with some badger vs badger action. I've actually hired 15 badgers, all of which were NOT from the hostile civ.

A couple of bolts and they were all in mortal fear. I thought the latest version of FD made it so mounts aren't fearful. It looks like only the water buffaloes and horses ran, most of the war elephants stayed and fight. They're vanilla war trained elephants and not part of the war elephant race. The only other mod I'm using is Modest Mod, hence the Pheobus since the newest MM isn't available for GemSet or SpaceFox.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 23, 2016, 05:31:58 pm »

Because the "fearless" inspiration was designed for mounts, it currently only works if the invaders are right on top of the animals - if the animals arrive far from the main detachment, they don't have any reminders that they're part of an invading army. In other words, the Fortress Defense races kinda require a "commissar" to oversee their animals. If the animals flee into range of a Fortress Defense race member, they might help them get a grip on their fear, but it might only occur at random.

That said, a broader interaction might work. I'll look into making it line of sight or increasing the range, though this would increase the chance that non-invading animals get hit with the "fearlessness".

242 invaders is crazy! Such a shame if the nice green tiles on that map were to get dyed crimson...but what a sight it would be! If you got a save with that army on the map, you could reload the game with graphics for the badgers as well :D

Cool. I took a look at the syntax of the txt and general sprite guides. They look pretty straight forward. Thanks for the txt, I'll add it to my game once I get a chance. I'm having a little bit too much fun making the sprites at the moment. Also, I made these SpaceFox inspired pandas. They kinda look like depressed pandas. Lol

I keep forgetting weapons that no one ever uses, like knives and blowguns. I like these a lot more than the GemSet version that I did. They're cute and all angsty and they've come to laid waste to your fortress, now you'll know why you fear the pandas.   

I'm liking your spritework a lot! :D Yeah, the graphics_*.txt files I posted should be easily adaptable to tell the game to use your new pandas as well. Let me know if it goes well, or if you have further questions :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 05:40:55 pm by darkflagrance »

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 23, 2016, 11:40:13 pm »

So I finished up the badgers, which I now realize they both look like KIZZ members. Lol. Then modified the text file and put them ingame. The skellie was what I used as a base to draw their heads, it's not used for anything ingame wise.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 27, 2016, 10:12:00 pm »

Congratulations on the successful graphification of the invaders!

I should probably develop a spritesheet myself, but it's hard to come up with something I find satisfying using only my basic artistic skills. I much prefer to solicit donations, if you know what I mean ;)

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I finished the pandas and badgers in GemSet style, every weapon in both regular and elite version. I messaged the creator of GemSet and he's fine with me editing them, which means if you want to use them in your mod, you're free to do so. The SpaceFox version are mine since I made them in that style, so you're free to use those as well. Though I'll revisit them to make elite version as well as cover the weapons I missed later. I'm not sure if I should give the elite badgers a hat like the pandas, mostly just looking for feedback, since honestly I'm just winging it here. I would very much like to finish out all of the races in GemSet style since they're easy to do and I enjoy doing them.

Now that Meph is back to doing Masterwork, I wonder if he wants to use them as well since I know the races in there are based on this mod. Though that depends on if GemSet/SpaceFox are the tiles he's including in the mod.   

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

I finished the pandas and badgers in GemSet style, every weapon in both regular and elite version. I messaged the creator of GemSet and he's fine with me editing them, which means if you want to use them in your mod, you're free to do so. The SpaceFox version are mine since I made them in that style, so you're free to use those as well. Though I'll revisit them to make elite version as well as cover the weapons I missed later. I'm not sure if I should give the elite badgers a hat like the pandas, mostly just looking for feedback, since honestly I'm just winging it here. I would very much like to finish out all of the races in GemSet style since they're easy to do and I enjoy doing them.

Now that Meph is back to doing Masterwork, I wonder if he wants to use them as well since I know the races in there are based on this mod. Though that depends on if GemSet/SpaceFox are the tiles he's including in the mod.   

I think the distinct color scheme may be sufficient for the badgermen, but that's entirely up to you. As for winging it - isn't that what creativity is all about? I just make things based on what seems cool at the time and balance it later :D

Thanks for clearing up the permissions issue. If you decide on a final version of the sprites, I'd be honored to include them in my mod  :D :D :D :D :D

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

bonus races
badger
panda
raptor

standard races
elf
frog
blendec
imp
naga

default-wrestler-blowgun-crossbow-bow-pike-spear-whip-hammer-mace-axe-knife-sword followed by elites in the same order.

These are the colors I'm happy with for these races. I'm particularly happy with how the elves, blendecs and imps came out. I tried to stay true to the material of the weapons they use. The armor is just whatever looks cool. I tried my best to make each race unique and their elite version cooler than the regular version. Now that I have the process streamline and I know what to do, the rest of the other races will be done in no time. I do have questions about some races though.

Dark Stranglers are just regular stranglers, but darker? So they have 2 legs and 4 arms? Can they wield weapons? Not just whether they attack with weapons or not, but if you can recruit them through the tavern, can you then give them weapons. I understand that most of the sprites I'm making are unnecessary since certain races won't ever attack with certain weapons and I'm just making those in case you recruit them and give them weird weapons to use, since that's what I do. Also, are beak wolves actually big wolves? Or are they wolf-man? If they're just wolves then they won't ever be able to wield weapons. In that case, what kind of sprites am I suppose to make for them? Also, Greater Fiend Spider. I haven't came across these in my playthrough, so I don't know what they're supposed to be or if they can wield weapons and such.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:52:04 pm by dead »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

bonus races
badger
panda
raptor

standard races
elf
frog
blendec
imp
naga

default-wrestler-blowgun-crossbow-bow-pike-spear-whip-hammer-mace-axe-knife-sword followed by elites in the same order.

These are the colors I'm happy with for these races. I'm particularly happy with how the elves, blendecs and imps came out. I tried to stay true to the material of the weapons they use. The armor is just whatever looks cool. I tried my best to make each race unique and their elite version cooler than the regular version. Now that I have the process streamline and I know what to do, the rest of the other races will be done in no time. I do have questions about some races though.

Dark Stranglers are just regular stranglers, but darker? So they have 2 legs and 4 arms? Can they wield weapons? Not just whether they attack with weapons or not, but if you can recruit them through the tavern, can you then give them weapons. I understand that most of the sprites I'm making are unnecessary since certain races won't ever attack with certain weapons and I'm just making those in case you recruit them and give them weird weapons to use, since that's what I do. Also, are beak wolves actually big wolves? Or are they wolf-man? If they're just wolves then they won't ever be able to wield weapons. In that case, what kind of sprites am I suppose to make for them? Also, Greater Fiend Spider. I haven't came across these in my playthrough, so I don't know what they're supposed to be or if they can wield weapons and such.

These are pretty impressive! Overall they're a lot easier to distinguish to me than the current sprites. The blendecs look especially tough in this style.

Beak wolves are based off Beak dogs, which are in turn a creature reminiscent of velociraptors or the mounts from the movie Labyrinth. This is one imagining of DF beak dogs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You could also just give them sprites of wolves with beaks, or however way you personally see them. I think the depiction of beak dogs is an open question in dwarf fortress lore, so you should feel free to make an addition to it ;)
They are highly unlikely to use weapons.

Dark Stranglers are intended to be unrecruitable and don't usually use weapons, but they coooouuuld theoretically be abducted by a weapon-wielding race and trained/given equipment. I wouldn't say they need art for each potential weapon.

Great Fiend Spiders are more badass Giant Cave Spiders, if you need a reference. They are probably similar in appearance as well to Ungoliant or Shelob from LOTR/Silmarillion, which is what the GCS is presumably based on.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I'm currently updating the version I have in Masterwork, just noticed a few things.

Dark death scorpions?

How about a boiling rock for fire-imp itemcorpses that is hot enough to burn creatures near it? Would make archers better against them, while melee takes more damage.

You really buffed them up with their natural skills, no-pain and metal-grade skins... did people complain about them being too easy?

You took out buildingdestroyer tags, is that because they can be visitors; razing down libraries and taverns?

I raised the wait period from 500 to 3000 ticks for the spider fiends web attack. I always felt that webbers are overpowered, and an entire group of them can stun-lock pretty much your entire army.

I removed FLIER from nightwings. Sorry, the Ai is still too bugged. Fleeing nightwings might remain in a spot up in the sky, unkillable for dwarves, which results in a never-ending siege.

SKILL_LEARN_RATE:SWORD:50000 on furies is rather pointless. Why not NATURAL_SKILL:SWORD ?

I deleted ITEM_HELM_CAP_FD, because its name is CAP, identical to the vanilla cap. Players have no way of distinguishing them and end up with double entries in stockpiles.

I also deleted the building file, because civs do reactions in world-history even without buildings.

Why do some civs have nobles and some dont?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Cannot reply in depth at the moment.

Tougher enemies are not that much tougher. You can still easily kill them because they lack full armor or are weak to masterwork weapons. Change allows them to pierce armor with physical attacks.

Dark death scorps and furied weap skill are partially implemented easter eggs. Natural weapon skill seems tp cause troops to come naked so skill rate seems to be the only way. It is also capped way below 5000.

Nobles are flavor anyway. Building destroyer is due to mercs.

All other changes are acceptable and I will consider them myself.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can  attest that great fiend spiders are absolutely horrific to fight in a stand up brawl. I'm playing to see how to defeat different attacking races without using massive walls of traps. My military is to the point where the two primary squads can steamroll a fifty blendac/raptor man/fury siege with maybe one or two losses. Mass Ruthertaur and Fire Imp attacks are harder to deal with, but I have had success at breaking them into smaller bits and wiping them out. Basically some planning and prep means almost all threats can be engaged conventionally. The only exception is the spiders, One ten man siege of spider wrestlers wiped my entire militia out without taking a single loss.

In every case the casualties were caused by a webbed dwarf being bitten in the head through his masterwork steel helm. Weapons strikes and wrestling basically never came into it, and I tried a half dozen different ways of coming at the spiders to see if it was possible to engage them successfully. The result was the always the same; death by perma-web.

The next logical step is to use some of this big stupid pile of adamantine I'm sitting on to make helmets and see if they can bite through those. If that doesn't work I've started construction of a gas chamber, a minefield, an incendiary cluster munition cannon, and something that will either be useless or work like a neutron bomb. Spiders gonna die. Its just a question of how.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

The strategy I had been having success with against gfs is to fight them in small groups, separating them from each other so they cannot cover each other with webs, then massing infantry and rushing the smaller clusters. However bad gfs are, I've also fought against it myself and even lost many forts to. They are intended to be incredibly challenging and I'm open to people suggesting I nerf them.

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 80