Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 305470 times)

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12] Fortress Defense Mod: 10 new civs to test your might!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 05:40:29 pm »

To me, the two largest problems are enemies riding things and therefore not attacking, and the constant sieging permanentally putting you in "siege" mode, preventing immigrants. May I be as bold as to promote a season where no entity is active?

Edit: Elephants are highly vulnerable to trap cages. =)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:42:40 pm by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 05:58:45 pm »

To me, the two largest problems are enemies riding things and therefore not attacking, and the constant sieging permanentally putting you in "siege" mode, preventing immigrants. May I be as bold as to promote a season where no entity is active?

Edit: Elephants are highly vulnerable to trap cages. =)

I personally like the endless sieges...but maybe winter might be a good candidate for a downtime.

Also, if you repel enough sieges from one entity, you will eventually stop them from coming.

Elephants and cage traps were nostalgia from Boatmurdered :)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 02:59:00 am »

How do I go about setting up a food fortress for export? Lots and lots of farmers? Where do the barrels come from? How do you get the dwarves to send you steel? Do you then melt it, or hope that you get complete armor sets?

I usually go straight for steel production (usually I have my first steel bars before I have my first bed or my first dining room), but arguably hundreds of pieces of (high quality) armor results in a lot of created wealth.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:03:42 am by Heavenfall »
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 10:53:49 am »

How do I go about setting up a food fortress for export? Lots and lots of farmers? Where do the barrels come from? How do you get the dwarves to send you steel? Do you then melt it, or hope that you get complete armor sets?

I usually go straight for steel production (usually I have my first steel bars before I have my first bed or my first dining room), but arguably hundreds of pieces of (high quality) armor results in a lot of created wealth.

Barrels can usually be gotten by buying all the cheap and crappy food in the beginning, but you don't want barrels if you are exporting roasts. I only farm a little for helmets and later flour; roast ingredients are best gotten from butchery or importation. Some players might consider this playstyle a little exploitative though, for the flavor reason that the roasts should not keep long enough to be valuable.

I usually embark with some metal and turn that into armor, and then initially use home-forged bronze and imported steel. In my last game, I began forging my own steel equipment at 45 population. In the beginning, I try to focus on increasing the skills of my soldiers first; in all my tests, skill and weapon choice were very significant factors in determining the victor; dabbling swordsmen don't cut it against armored foes. Also, you need a ton of positioning skill to deal with archers, or else use your own. Good marksdwarves really even the odds, though the ammo is expensive.

However, I wouldn't say that my strategy is necessarily the best in the long run. I haven't played the latest version until giants yet.

---

Version 0.03: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2863 (same link as in op)

The earlier enemies are now generally restricted from coming in the winter, and many also do not come at other times of the year. I made the progress trigger requirements for some later civs even higher. I've nerfed frogs a little in the latest version to use wooden weapons as well. I'm not sure if this was the best idea, since in theory if the early player can survive their assault it's easy to melt down their weapons into raw materials.

These changes only take effect on a world regen.

wierdoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12] Fortress Defense Mod: Version 0.03 Released!
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 01:35:48 pm »

Excellent idea! I'll have to try this in my next fort.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »

I don't know if it's intended, but a strangler siege just showed up in first autumn with a war elephant. I'm pretty sure it's a vanilla elephant, but it still seems like a bit much to be accompanying guys you can fight off in copper.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 02:00:18 pm »

Is this compatible with Civilization Forge?

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 02:18:45 pm »

So going to try this.

Thanks for it.

You should make a seige of titans.  :P

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 03:51:25 pm »

Is this compatible with Civilization Forge?

It should be because no entity or creature names are shared.

I don't know if it's intended, but a strangler siege just showed up in first autumn with a war elephant. I'm pretty sure it's a vanilla elephant, but it still seems like a bit much to be accompanying guys you can fight off in copper.

Stranglers are fine. If there was a single elephant, it is indeed one of the weaksauce vanilla elephants - their attacks are significantly impeded by armor IIRC. I have been trying to figure out which tag prevents civs from bringing animals, but I suspect it is hardcoded worldgen behavior for the civ leader to tame animals.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 06:19:17 pm »

Frogman came 2nd summer, still at 13 pop. I've septupled my wealth though, that could account for them being so early. Unless 13 dwarves is 50~. I'm pretty sure it isn't.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 11:41:03 am »

Starting this up, already have a military, it's the first summer.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 04:56:15 pm »

Does Steel even Work Against the Giant?

oh , and the Giant decided to Siege Early on , While i was Testing Hax that i done by screwing around with the Raws(Not your Mod's Raw)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 05:17:47 pm »

When I arena tested Giants, I found that dwarves with superior training could slay them reliably if both were wearing steel. Giants come late so that you might have time to get those legendary fighters capable of felling them. If not, trying steel bolts from marksdwarves.

Also, though Giants have max progress triggers, if you do things like dramatically increase your wealth, you'll definitely trigger them too early.

I'd like to experiment further with progress triggers and see if I can fine tune them further, but I might be too busy in the next week or so to make updates.

I might also make an easy mode update that doesn't end with enemies as tough as giants.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 08:54:01 pm »

Wooh love these types of mods! could you add orcs and is it possible to make these creatures hostile to all like undead? I love making arenas where i dump hostiles into. I'm gonna start a fort up i'll post my findings.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 10:53:33 pm »

My first summer 14 dwarves a single party of dark strangler wrestlers showed up to meet my 2 bismuth bronze clad and armed militia on my 2 bridges and it was glorious. I'm so used to orks i already had a wall and moat setup before they showed hehe coulda simply pulled the bridges but i wanted to test out how well my 2 dwarves could fight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 80