Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 305440 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25] Fortress Defense Mod II v7b: New Challengers Appear!
« Reply #435 on: May 25, 2011, 04:30:16 pm »

whats the best settings for worldgen to get a good chance of the creatures turning up?  I have ran a few forts upto 40+ dwarfs and still havnt had an attack...

Would lazy noob pack or ironhand gfx stop DM from working?  Idk whats happening as i havnt had an attack since a few DF patches ago and i usually just use default worldgen settings that used to work to get sieges or etc etc.  I think all ive had in the last 7-10 forts is 1 snatcher turn up and thats it, used to be every fort almost until a few patches ago...

You can check the availability of enemy civs from the embark screen by pressing tab until they pop up, so you should always do that.

I always use a medium region (not island!) to test the mod. Region-type maps usually allow all civs to reach each other; since there is no naval aspect to the game, there's no point in generating an island map anyway. I don't change any other settings.

If you generated a world where the two early 20-pop civs don't exist or have access to your fort, you usually have to wait until 50 population before the first civs start attacking you. This is by design, to prevent the player from being overwhelmed too early; but rest assured - if you didn't embark on a deserted island in the middle of nowhere, you should be swamped with the other foes on your continent by late-game.

Feel free to upload a save for me to look at; people seem to have to issue often and I want to see if I can spy a cause I haven't predicted.

I doubt that graphics are causing an issue, but it's possible that your init file has invaders turned off or something.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:35:35 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 27, 2011, 02:58:19 pm »

Having a great time with this mod.  A few questions:

1.  Furies and their 'camping' is getting annoying, mainly because my embark has a sheer cliff face that they tend to appear all scattered upon, and it isn't very entertaining trying to watch a battle that involves fliers on multiple z-levels versus dwarves on multiple z-levels.  And omg, the bolts lying all over the map afterwards.  Is there a way to turn Furies off (and only them) from invading, without regenning?  I had hoped they'd provide entertainment in the novelty of making a fort defense that stops flying invaders, but the camping thing just makes them more like annoying squatters you have to go kick off your land (not your fault, I know).

2.  Playing Normal, nobody shows up with much armor?  For instance, the first siege with War Elephants, they went directly from fearsome to outright adorable once I realized they were not equipped with steel as the README had mentioned, and instead were wearing mere leather caps (which I immediately imagined as fez's).  Everyone else shows up in a hodge-podge of copper/silver/iron.

As an aside, the race that gave me the most problems was the Beak Wolves.  They showed up very quickly, before anyone else, and well before I had gotten any metal armor churned out.  They did a real number on my leather-clad dwarves, I only had one survivor fir for military duty afterwards (the few others that did survive had lots of hands and feet ripped off).  Not the mod's fault though, mostly my rustiness with DF (thought leather was better than that) and the current map's lack of any iron at all. 

Fun stuff, its a good challenge.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 27, 2011, 04:56:16 pm »

To "deactivate" a civilization in an ongoing game, open the entity file it is in (entity_fortdefense.txt or the individual entity file, whatever you're using), find the entity in question and replace the square brackets around its active season tags with quotation marks. So in this case:

Under [ENTITY:HARPYFD], edit [ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING] to read "ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING".

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 27, 2011, 10:10:08 pm »

To "deactivate" a civilization in an ongoing game, open the entity file it is in (entity_fortdefense.txt or the individual entity file, whatever you're using), find the entity in question and replace the square brackets around its active season tags with quotation marks. So in this case:

Under [ENTITY:HARPYFD], edit [ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING] to read "ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING".

Yup! And no regen of the world is required. Progress triggers can also be changed or deleted in this way to the same effect.

Having a great time with this mod.  A few questions:

1.  Furies and their 'camping' is getting annoying, mainly because my embark has a sheer cliff face that they tend to appear all scattered upon, and it isn't very entertaining trying to watch a battle that involves fliers on multiple z-levels versus dwarves on multiple z-levels.  And omg, the bolts lying all over the map afterwards.  Is there a way to turn Furies off (and only them) from invading, without regenning?  I had hoped they'd provide entertainment in the novelty of making a fort defense that stops flying invaders, but the camping thing just makes them more like annoying squatters you have to go kick off your land (not your fault, I know).

2.  Playing Normal, nobody shows up with much armor?  For instance, the first siege with War Elephants, they went directly from fearsome to outright adorable once I realized they were not equipped with steel as the README had mentioned, and instead were wearing mere leather caps (which I immediately imagined as fez's).  Everyone else shows up in a hodge-podge of copper/silver/iron.

As an aside, the race that gave me the most problems was the Beak Wolves.  They showed up very quickly, before anyone else, and well before I had gotten any metal armor churned out.  They did a real number on my leather-clad dwarves, I only had one survivor fir for military duty afterwards (the few others that did survive had lots of hands and feet ripped off).  Not the mod's fault though, mostly my rustiness with DF (thought leather was better than that) and the current map's lack of any iron at all. 

Fun stuff, its a good challenge.

Thank you for the feedback! I'll take it into account for v8. I'd like to do more testing and create a more refined version, perhaps swap furies with one of the bonus civs, and then obviously see what's causing the problem with the elephants and beakdogs - but I've got one hundred pages to write in two weeks and the new version's coming out soon...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 29, 2011, 09:37:50 pm »

Nevermind, I should have fixed elephants for the next bugfix version. Fury revision will wait to see the new possibilities of the next df, but right now a major bug is fixed.

New version (0.07c) released!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Re: [0.31.25] Fortress Defense Mod II v7c: More bugs fixed!
« Reply #440 on: May 31, 2011, 07:12:24 pm »

Oh man, excellent job on this mod! It made my game so much more Fun! Combat is likely the most exciting part of the game, and with this, i get like seasonal invasions of sizable forces. After 3 years, my fort population has stagnated around 50-60, due to the constant deaths caused by invaders and dorfen stupidity (hay guise let's go out and grab some socks while 32 polar bear-riding beak wolves are looking for a way in!). Finding a way to stave off the constant invasions is very fun indeed, especially when you do crazy contraptions along with a military. Crushing a large tigerman squad in a cave-in trap was particularly satisfying. :D
The one thing that iffs me a tiny bit is that beak wolves are rather dangerous for early fort invaders. That [NO_FEAR] token of theirs makes then incredibly tenacious in combat, which resulted in the death of my fully steel-clad swordmaster. Then again, DF isn't supposed to be an easy game (i think), and he was fighting a fair number of them in close quarters, so i guess it's fine. The biggest problems arised when they came riding polar bears (my brain temporarily shorted out from the sight of all those B's), which didn't happen before a couple of years passed.

So yeah, long story short, great job, will keep playing this. :) (my refuse piles have never been so filled!)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 31, 2011, 07:19:58 pm »

Removing NOFEAR looks like a good way to nerf Beakwolves for the next revision. When I have time...

WagonWheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 31, 2011, 09:13:47 pm »

Hey, really sorry if you already put my question in another spot, if you did, I didn't see it. I understand how to download and install it and everything but it should work fine with the lazy newb pack right?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 31, 2011, 09:19:22 pm »

Hey, really sorry if you already put my question in another spot, if you did, I didn't see it. I understand how to download and install it and everything but it should work fine with the lazy newb pack right?

Yes.

RabidRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 02, 2011, 03:51:59 am »

Seems like a fun mod so far, though the collapse of my first challenge mode fort was rather anticlimactic:

1st Winter - one Axedwarf in full steel kills 15 Stranglers.

2nd Spring - a full squad of Axedwarves in full steel rolls over 15 Frogmen (I dug down to magma by the first summer and had 10 sets of steel equipment ready and waiting by the time spring migrants came).

2nd Summer - two Goblin ambushes = easy mode.

2nd Winter - 15 Nightwings?!??!?! kill every dwarf I have in under a minute.  I had 20 barely trained axe/speardwarves in full steel by then, and I think they managed to hack a wing off one of them before getting obliterated.

Are challenge mode civs supposed to show up that early?  At 50ish dwarves, my fort didn't even qualify for sieges from tier 3 normal civs...

Guess I should either turn challenge civs off next time, or start abusing cave-ins and retractable spike training rooms again.  I want the fort to live long enough to fight some elephants, dammit.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 02, 2011, 09:03:58 am »

Seems like a fun mod so far, though the collapse of my first challenge mode fort was rather anticlimactic:

1st Winter - one Axedwarf in full steel kills 15 Stranglers.

2nd Spring - a full squad of Axedwarves in full steel rolls over 15 Frogmen (I dug down to magma by the first summer and had 10 sets of steel equipment ready and waiting by the time spring migrants came).

2nd Summer - two Goblin ambushes = easy mode.

2nd Winter - 15 Nightwings?!??!?! kill every dwarf I have in under a minute.  I had 20 barely trained axe/speardwarves in full steel by then, and I think they managed to hack a wing off one of them before getting obliterated.

Are challenge mode civs supposed to show up that early?  At 50ish dwarves, my fort didn't even qualify for sieges from tier 3 normal civs...

Guess I should either turn challenge civs off next time, or start abusing cave-ins and retractable spike training rooms again.  I want the fort to live long enough to fight some elephants, dammit.

The problem is with DF triggers and randomness. Though Fortress Defense civs are scripted to come late, the procedurally generated nature of Dwarf Fortress means that things like wars, fortress proximity, population of the enemy civ, the volume of trade goods or steel you sell or produce all cause invaders to override the population limit and attack anyway. Furthermore, there is not way currently known to script invaders to obey only the population tag.

You can always turn off nightwings very easily; they are included in the Challenge Mod because they tend to be fortress breaking and can often provide an unexpected challenge. The mod is made to be tailored to its player's particular desires, which is why there are the civs are not only divided into three large files, but there are also individual ones for pick-and-choose installation.

Bear in mind too that that was your first FD fort; learning a new mod may take a couple of forts to master, as does the general game of Dwarf Fortress for many people.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 04, 2011, 10:39:42 am »

Posting to follow the thread as I have just started using this mod - vanilla has got a bit samey.
This is a blank sig.

Brandedahall

• Bay Watcher
  • DWARF...why you not work :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 06, 2011, 12:47:14 pm »

Thank you for this amazing mod :) before i installed this, dwarf fortress was a little bit too easy for me.

now, it's quite hard and a lot of !!FUN!! :)

I'm using this in conjunction with LFR and monster hunter universe, and it's really great.

the only slightly bad thing is that the civs don't attack as regularly as I'd like, as i greatly enjoy the battles.
Hi guys, like my post? give me a msg

i also like critisism

[This is a pig tail fiber thong, it object menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber] D:

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 08, 2011, 02:56:39 pm »

I'd second the vote for NOFEAR removal from the Beak Wolves, at least from Normal mode, and instead perhaps move it to the Warwolves?  Beak Wolves are surprisingly deadly to early fort militias; I've seen them regularly latch on/rip off limbs off metal-armored dwarves, and marksdwarves often go through an entire early fort's worth of ammo and only knock off half of them.  I like the deadliness of them (as frogmen and stranglers are relatively safe to engage with early on) but it does get a bit exasperating to watch early marksdwarves use up 500 some odd bolts to kill half, and then have to send in newbie melee to 'clean up' at the risk of limbs.  They'd probably be a whole lot easier if I used traps, but I only build those from captured weapons and beak wolves are frequently my first siegers.

In general, the combo of NOFEAR and their armor-bypassing attacks make these guys markedly harder than the other early siegers.  Warwolves I've noticed tend to show up when I have adequate defenses and are routed easily when exposed to marksdwarves, so gaining the NOFEAR tag (plus their speed) may give them a bit more punch.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 08, 2011, 06:50:40 pm »

Just finished everything for college.

I am putting together a new version as I type. Thinking of replacing furies with...Ferric Elves >:D

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 80