Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 309639 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25] Fortress Defense Mod II v8: Elven Avengers!
« Reply #525 on: August 28, 2011, 01:23:55 pm »

Nagas just fought off a panda ambush for me :D

Do certain enemies end up hating each other or is this a lucky rare world gen?

In my last two world gens tigermen and warwolves have been at war and massacred each other upon appearance.

However, I think warring between enemy nation is simply random. Take it as a bit of flavor or added challenge if you want; since you're using pandas, you're probably dealing with more enemy civs than average anyway; you should have no shortage of foes :P
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 28, 2011, 02:23:02 pm »

My only problem is the damn fiend spiders. At the moment I'm upgrading my military. At the time of this screenshot (well not the screenshot, I mean the battle that took place leading to this screenshot, this is a few months later), everyone had wooden weapons:

I'm just thinking, how about a civ that uses tin weapons/armor? That way the slaughter of them combined with the armies of copper users can let us slowly upgrade to bronze through melting their equipment. I have ~80 copper bars but something like 30 bronze.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 28, 2011, 02:37:02 pm »

My only problem is the damn fiend spiders. At the moment I'm upgrading my military. At the time of this screenshot (well not the screenshot, I mean the battle that took place leading to this screenshot, this is a few months later), everyone had wooden weapons:

I'm just thinking, how about a civ that uses tin weapons/armor? That way the slaughter of them combined with the armies of copper users can let us slowly upgrade to bronze through melting their equipment. I have ~80 copper bars but something like 30 bronze.

I could mod in a tin civ, but it would require the alteration of the material values of tin. However, it is an intriguing idea. Since I might have to alter materials anyway to achieve a race of small but deadly creatures, I might also do something like change frogman or tigerman weapons to tin.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 28, 2011, 02:47:34 pm »

Why not just make a reaction and give it to a civ that creates a tin set of armor or whatever? If they have the reaction, they can automatically use it, right?

Btw, another idea: more skilled creatures (preferably intelligent with names). Right now, in the mod, the creatures may be fierce and all, but in the end their skills suck compared to our 3-legendary dwarf armies or whatever. So why not have a small popcap civ with high natural skill on everything, or something like a castes system where some have level 30 dodging, others level 30 wrestling etc.? As a cool lategame thing, you actually fight legends, not endless hordes of pathetic recruits.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 28, 2011, 02:55:44 pm »

Why not just make a reaction and give it to a civ that creates a tin set of armor or whatever? If they have the reaction, they can automatically use it, right?

Btw, another idea: more skilled creatures (preferably intelligent with names). Right now, in the mod, the creatures may be fierce and all, but in the end their skills suck compared to our 3-legendary dwarf armies or whatever. So why not have a small popcap civ with high natural skill on everything, or something like a castes system where some have level 30 dodging, others level 30 wrestling etc.? As a cool lategame thing, you actually fight legends, not endless hordes of pathetic recruits.

I've been debating this idea myself. The problem is that enemy civs often come quickly even on the highest progress trigger settings, and there is no way to tell a civ to change the kind of recruits that it brings. Likewise, pop_cap doesn't affect what the civ sends to attack you in Fortress Mode because all the units are generated from scratch. However, since one can edit the dwarf fortress raws while a save is active, you yourself could add super-castes if you wish ;)

At the same time, I might add super-castes for the challenge mode civs. I will have time after my current programming project is finished. Another possibility would be offer alternate "upgrade" versions of each creature, so that after a certain point, the player would use the upgrade files to overwrite the raws in the save file and end up facing more powerful enemies.

Meanwhile, the intelligent tag doesn't actually add anything to a race except names. If all the fortress defense civs had it, they wouldn't be any more powerful, but would probably be at peace with the player instead. It's never done anything good for the quality of human, elven, or goblin enemies in my experience.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 28, 2011, 02:59:20 pm »

I just like having named enemies. It just doesn't feel as good to me looking through a kill list and seeing a nightwing the nightwing. Some things just deserved to be recognized more than just a <whatever> the <whatever>.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 03, 2011, 02:52:08 pm »

Lost another fort to frogmen - 1 squad of them versus 9 dwarves in full bronze in Spring of year 2. The only previous siege was a single squad of beakwolves in Autumn. I think there should be more of a distinction between tier 1 and tier 2 enemies - at most I get attacked once by tier 1 before tier 2 starts appearing (and quite often my first siege is a combination of both) and even with good equipment my military isn't strong enough to take on frogmen in the second spring. The only solution is to wall off or use loads of traps, which runs contrary to the spirit of the mod.

Possibly the frogmen are bugged though - even though I always use the version that gives them wooden weapons, I never see them with anything but copper.

Blurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 04, 2011, 04:09:40 am »

I could mod in a tin civ, but it would require the alteration of the material values of tin. However, it is an intriguing idea. Since I might have to alter materials anyway to achieve a race of small but deadly creatures, I might also do something like change frogman or tigerman weapons to tin.

couldnt you make it so that they are very resilient and drop tin ore on death?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 04, 2011, 07:39:52 pm »

Dropping tin ore on death is possible.

I should have enough materials to make a full next version soon; perhaps even a Fortress Defense Mod III. I had planned to wait for the next DF version to incorporate new tags, and to finish my current programming projects, but perhaps I'll forgo those instead.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 05, 2011, 02:00:03 pm »

If you want small but deadly, helmet snakes or helmet snake men could work.  They'd be weak in terms of fighting ability, but a single bite from them could be lethal.  And entertaining.  (For us, not the dwarf)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 06, 2011, 04:33:03 am »

If you want small but deadly, helmet snakes or helmet snake men could work.  They'd be weak in terms of fighting ability, but a single bite from them could be lethal.  And entertaining.  (For us, not the dwarf)

In my tests, helmet snake venom has been kinda disappointing actually, but it probably adds up when dwarves are attacked en masse. Either way, I've decided to "augment" one of the existing Fortress Defense races with it...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Blurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.25] Fortress Defense Mod II v9: Tin-Bearing Blendecs!
« Reply #537 on: September 08, 2011, 07:50:56 am »

yay my suggestion was used :3
what are the odds of the casserite being dropped?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 08, 2011, 03:44:08 pm »

yay my suggestion was used :3
what are the odds of the casserite being dropped?

Should be 50%.

Heorot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 12, 2011, 12:31:20 pm »

I just discovered this mod, and it looks like an awesome way to increase the !!FUN!! factor. Unfortunately, Dffd is down at the moment, and has been for a couple days. If someone/the awesome OP could mirror this on another file site, it would be incredible.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 80