Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 305430 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

you probably didn't mess up like that

Hoooooooar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, i've let the game run for about 48 hours or so, and the first level wolves showed up, but nothing after that.  I never would have thought that i'd say that dwarf fortress is just too easy when i first started out.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Well, i've let the game run for about 48 hours or so, and the first level wolves showed up, but nothing after that.  I never would have thought that i'd say that dwarf fortress is just too easy when i first started out.

Yep, this is the stage in development I'm at right now. I'm testing the triggers to see if I can force invasions without external scripts at the moment. At the moment I'm checking out other people's mods; if anyone knows a mod with fast invaders, let me know. I'm wondering if I have to tinker in worldgen as well.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

The only way to affect invasions is the TRIGGERS in the entity file. Of course some more prolific and successful entities will siege more, but they also kill more other civs in worldgen, making it a double-edged sword.

Best option in future will be the spawnunit version expwnent is working on atm, it allows spawning groups of enemies at the map edge with specific equipment, but it would mean "hardcoded" invasions, each one set up by hand by a modder.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

The only way to affect invasions is the TRIGGERS in the entity file. Of course some more prolific and successful entities will siege more, but they also kill more other civs in worldgen, making it a double-edged sword.

Best option in future will be the spawnunit version expwnent is working on atm, it allows spawning groups of enemies at the map edge with specific equipment, but it would mean "hardcoded" invasions, each one set up by hand by a modder.

Balance with only the in-built triggers is going to be tricky. I might need to rethink what civs I even include and how they scale. I think the problem is that worldgen can easily give the player a world where sieges are highly unlikely, leading to highly variable levels of conflict. I don't think it's an inherent flaw of SalmonGod's version, but a problem that Toady needs to fix in the next update with entity hostility.

I'm thinking I'll merge Stranglers and Beakwolves or remove one of them. They will arrive concurrently with Blendecs, Frogmen and Tigermen at the earliest trigger. The second trigger will see the arrival of nagas, ferric elves, pandashi, badgermen, and warwolves. The third and final trigger will bring elephants and hellfire imps (also nightwings). If I update the bonus races, I'll restructure them accordingly.

Early races may be likely to fight each other, but later races will use the same _THIEF tags so that they ally instead. EDIT: upon further investigation this does not guarantee they will not attempt to kill each other.

I think I will incorporate some of the bonus races into the base mod to make up for the lower chances of civilizations a) spawning armies and b) landing them on top of your fort. Judging from mods like MW, Dwarf Fortress can handle the high number of civs anyway. I may need to bump up reproduction.

Edit: Found an intriguing suggestion - make all races like Mountainhomes, and only tolerate each other's dwelling places, to focus the sieges on dwarves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:54:26 pm by darkflagrance »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

#You can also make invaders that attack from the caverns, in case you did not know.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Someone in the mod question thread suggesting adding PLAYER_FORTRESS to the liked sites list. Or even making it the only kind of site they like. That might work.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.xx] Fortress Defense Mod II v12: Hellfire Imps with real Hellfire!
« Reply #772 on: August 11, 2015, 12:19:02 am »

Still in testing. Meanwhile, I decided I didn't like Minotaurs, and upgraded them to Ruthertaurs. Hoping to test the final entity changes soon.

If anyone would greatly prefer the original minotaurs, let me know.

#You can also make invaders that attack from the caverns, in case you did not know.

I will consider this in a later version. If this is a more reliable option to make forced sieges, I will probably switch over to it.

Current changelog:
I made progress triggers lower, never exceeding 3 except in one case
I fixed some raw issues with eggs and personalities
altered minotaurs into ruthertaurs (rutherlords? I like this name better)
altered climb of jotun and furies
gave everyone item_thief or babysnatcher
gave everyone    [LIKES_SITE:PLAYER_FORTRESS]
misc natural skill changes
The easier civs now all have
   [START_BIOME:ALL_MAIN]
   [START_BIOME:ANY_RIVER]
   [START_BIOME:ANY_POOL]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:42:38 am by darkflagrance »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Hopefully the new version of DF being imminent doesn't render my progress moot.

In the mean time, I'm still tweaking the current version of Fortress Defense and updating the documentation.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile

I look forward to your progress! Thanks again for all your hard work.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Number of Civilizations

This number of civilizations will be placed on the map before history generation begins. These civilizations may later die out due to historical events. The five races are dwarf, elf, human, goblin, and kobold; they will be placed in equal numbers until the quota has been reached. If there is an odd number of civs (not divisible by 5), then the remainder is distributed randomly. Kobold civs require caves to be placed; if no caves exist, then kobolds are skipped and will not appear. This does not cause rejections data.

Note that a high value here can cause lots of map rejections, particularly on smaller maps as there simply isn't enough room or regions to put them all in.
Token    Example    Notes
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:<number>]    [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:40]    Range: 0 to 300

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THIS WAS A THING. NO WONDER I CAN'T GET MORE THAN 10 CIVS PER EMBARK.

To anyone playing this mod: if you get attacked, please post the year and season of the first attack, and if you get attacked again, of the second attack. I'm trying to get a feel of how effective the current set of changes are and whether further tweaking is needed.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:31:52 am by darkflagrance »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Testing this at the moment. Will report back with details of sieges (or lack thereof) after a few more years (only a Werehorse Warwolf so far). Two years in I note that a lot of the evil monsters around me are far more interested in warring amongst themselves than attacking me.

I don't suppose there's a way to trigger the 'war' status artificially at the beginning of play to make everyone at war with your civ (or all Dwarf civs)? Vanilla Goblins always seem to turn up eventually if we start at war as opposed to just 'hostile'.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.xx/0.34.xx] Fortress Defense Mod II v13x: It's Never Too Late to Update!
« Reply #777 on: September 01, 2015, 07:48:02 pm »

There might be a way to do it with df hack, and to get it to happen with high probility through ethics misalignment, but I do not know of any current way to force war status, sadly.

Catharsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.xx/0.34.xx] Fortress Defense Mod II v13x: It's Never Too Late to Update!
« Reply #778 on: September 05, 2015, 06:30:50 pm »

Got my first invaders 4 years in (also had a thief (war elephant) and a couple babysnatchers (hellfire imp), seems to be a little glitch with them in the naming, but I haven't had enough sieges in the new version to really know if this happens a lot or not:

Using the most recent experimental btw.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: September 06, 2015, 12:38:19 am »

Thanks for the feedback! It's encouraging to have confirmation of this mod's efficacy.

I think the naming is caused by some furies being historical figures and others being generated fresh for the invasion. It should be no problem for some (and later, many) invaders to have no names.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 80