Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 305415 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.43.05] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!
« Reply #1155 on: March 15, 2017, 10:00:36 pm »

Hello!  I'm very interested in this mod, since I haven't really played much past v 0.34.xx due to the new system for goblin sieges. 

Back then it was pretty simple: when your population and/or wealth reached certain milestones, you would start getting regular goblin sieges right away, which increased in size/strength with higher population / wealth. From my attempts with 0.40.xx so far, it seems that even when you pick a site with nearby goblin civs, it's still a toss-up whether you get any invasions due to the various checks the game has to run (are the goblins busy sieging other sites, do they have enough soldiers left over, etc.) Even when a siege does happen, in some cases it also seems to occur many years after embarking, or is pitifully small, at which point it is no longer a threat.

My main concerns are:

• Are the sieges / invasions that result from this mod reliable / consistent, or do they depend on all the same checks that goblin sieges have to pass in vanilla? E.G., is there a decent chance that even with this mod I never end up getting any sieges due to "reasons," or the sieges I do get only come in year 7 and consist of 6 soldiers?

• Can this mod be used without any new races, but just make goblin invasions reliable / consistent / early, similar to how they functioned in 0.34 and earlier?

tl;dr:
I loved the invasion system back in v 0.34.xx and earlier, where goblins ALWAYS would send sieges of a certain size/strength as soon as you reached certain population / wealth milestones, without any chance of failure/delay. Would the Fortress Defense Mod II help to simulate that experience?

peli082

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: March 25, 2017, 09:46:16 pm »

Links doesn't work(atleast for me). Please fix.  :D

Larsaal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: March 27, 2017, 03:20:02 pm »

Hmm the dffd.wimbli.com links don't work. You'll find it with same file ID at dffd.bay12games.com

So try http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=3081 for Basic + Challenge Mode*Individual entity files included
and http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=3197 for Basic Mode Only

Prapor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: April 20, 2017, 09:32:38 am »

To me, even before the first caravan in the autumn, came 5 Warwolfs-zombies.
The entire population of the fort except the medic was called into the orderly ranks of the defenders of the homeland. It turned out to make a squad of 4 melee dwarves and a squad of 5 crossbowmen armed with wooden bolts (there were no others)
It was decided to meet the enemy at the entrance to the fortress. Crossbowmen gave several volleys on attacking enemies from the gate tower without any noticeable result (one of the werewolves tore off the tail and slightly damaged the others - but for zombies this is nonsense)
The first zombie immediately bitten the swordsman and he instantly turned into Warwolf, and also bitten his neighbor (+ another Warwolf). Chain reaction in action

As a result, the fortress was destroyed. IMHO zombies should not infect with a curse

Thatotherguy23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: April 26, 2017, 05:32:12 pm »

I'd be very wary about going into a haunted/evil biome with some of these races ha, they're tough to deal with when there's just a bunch nearby let alone reanimation and so forth. Plus, wooden bolts, or bolts at all versus zombies as well as probably barely armed or armoured ragtag dorfs? Pretty sure your guys were doomed even if they couldn't curse you. Your best bet before the first caravan would've been to hole up with a bridge and/or traps.

Don't think it would be possible to just stop them from cursing when they're zombified anyway

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile

It seems that the new Fortress Defense enemies are somewhat overkill.

Seriously, dark stranglers with legendary dodging and bronze flesh ?

Time to start training a squad of war miners starting from the first waves.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And now there is an adopted/conquered LEGENDARY WAR ELEPHANT in the absolute first tigermen siege (autumn of year 2). Fully armored, not in full plate hopefully.

I send my novice/adequate only partly armored war miners at them. It went about as went as you'll expect.

So I savescummed and I'm going to turtle or just cheese it with good old magma traps. I mean, what choice do I have ?

I've been a fan of Fort Defense for quite a few years, I pretty much use it every time I play. I just think the DF2016 version is a bit too hardcore. Sorry if I appear whiny.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 10:29:39 am by Naryar »

Lordsservent-san

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And now there is an adopted/conquered LEGENDARY WAR ELEPHANT in the absolute first tigermen siege (autumn of year 2). Fully armored, not in full plate hopefully.

I send my novice/adequate only partly armored war miners at them. It went about as went as you'll expect.

So I savescummed and I'm going to turtle or just cheese it with good old magma traps. I mean, what choice do I have ?

I've been a fan of Fort Defense for quite a few years, I pretty much use it every time I play. I just think the DF2016 version is a bit too hardcore. Sorry if I appear whiny.
It's fine, you don't seem too whiny to me. So, feel free to make some suggestions to the mod author(like needing Dark Strangler dodging), as long as you don't do too many at once.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd suggest... remove the warwolf syndrome bite, and dark stranglers are fine at legendary dodger, but bronze flesh plus legendary dodging seems too much for the weakest enemies in fort defense.

EDIT : To avoid multiple posting, I would also like to say that the [PET] tag of white tigermen makes some odd interactions with the ones that visit inns and ask to be integrated in my fortress Notably, they go in the pets/livestock screen, don't have jobs available and can be butchered.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:54:28 am by Naryar »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: August 03, 2017, 10:52:17 am »

Woah, I need this in my quest for challenge.

Edit.
The link in the OP is broken because dffd.wimbli.com is old?
It should use dffd.bay12games.com instead.

I was able to get it using the file number in the wimbli address and use it in the bay12games address.

So this one works:
Release v0.21 R (for versions 43.05 and 43.04)
Download Basic + Challenge Mode*Individual entity files included
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:55:06 am by Sanctume »

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: August 06, 2017, 06:04:23 pm »

Good Job on this mod, i have few recommandation though

-> Include translations in general languages for name of your civs and creatures
-> Include Pantheon for the majority of them and ensure the DEATH alignement for having a lot of tower for more FUN. Without that your mods tends to lower the presence of Tower and necromant (and so the presence of FUN) due to the concurence the human races and other pantheon races have.
-> include symbol/tiles for civs during worldGen.

;)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: August 07, 2017, 02:46:23 pm »

I don't know where to post this, but I'll post it here for the sake of "testing." 

World-gen:  small region, 1 cavern layer max, up 20 starting civs from 10 (got too much rejection at 40), and minerals to 750. 

1. I got a dead or dying civ warning.  I abandoned after spring. 
2. New gen. Dead or dying civ warning; Modded Dwarf to have 8 arms.  I abandoned after autumn. 
3. New gen. Dead or dying civ warning; Modded Dwarf to have 4 arms only.  I abandoned after autumn again. I want a flatter embark. 

4. New gen. Dead or dying civ warning; Modded Dwarf to have 4 arms only.  Nightwings arrived Spring of 2nd year.  They fly, wear steel armor, and shoot steel bolts.  Undead keas were flying, and these Nighwings were one shotting the undead keas.  I raised bridged, I lack military.  I abandoned after an undead kea left the map with a stolen spent steel bolt, and the Nightwings are leaving also. 

5. New gen. Dead or dying civ warning; Dwarfs have 4 arms.  Year 2 spring, expedition leader became queen.  No sieges yet.  No army to speak off. 
Had a dwarf trader but no liaison, and elf trader come.  Biome has 1 haunted area, rains goblin blood that makes a dwarf despair. 

Anyway, I try to make 20 steel armor set and weapons ~ 210 steel bars.
I am testing between embarking with "limonite + marble + bit coals" and smelting them on the surface. 
Versus, 10 garnerite ores; to make nickel minecarts and fill them up and make the magma forge near the surface. 
I can try and just forge down by the magma sea since surface to magma sea is less for a 1 cavern max world. 

I am also testing first 7 dwarf labors:
My latest test batch are:
2 miners/mason/mech
2 axe/armor user
1 farmer/brewer/cook
1 carpenter/stone crafter
1 doctor/admin/wood cutter

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Randall172

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: August 10, 2017, 01:18:57 pm »

make a civ of small (20,000) unarmoured, fast breeding, quick learning, weapon wielding kobolds/monks/etc.

something that throws huge numbers of powerful but weak enemies.

Balgias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: August 12, 2017, 03:07:23 am »

404 download not found, why is the current version download down?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:58:10 am by Balgias »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: August 12, 2017, 09:36:05 am »

404 download not found, why is the current version download down?

Woah, I need this in my quest for challenge.

Edit.
The link in the OP is broken because dffd.wimbli.com is old?
It should use dffd.bay12games.com instead.

I was able to get it using the file number in the wimbli address and use it in the bay12games address.

So this one works:
Release v0.21 R (for versions 43.05 and 43.04)
Download Basic + Challenge Mode*Individual entity files included
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80