Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Robber Barons: Sign-Up & Discussion Thread  (Read 4380 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Robber Barons: Sign-Up & Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 04:38:47 pm »

I'd also like a bit more detail on what "American Industrial Revolution" means exactly. Crude cars, smokestacks everywhere, and almost everyone has a radio to hear news and advertisements?

Perhaps more importantly, how does making money, upkeep, and debt work in relation to each other? If we spend all of our money right now, for instance, is that a good idea, risky, or guaranteed to mean we can't pay the workers on time?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 05:13:26 pm »

Is there any point in owning an entire supply chain? It seems not, with raw materials costing less then the labor and maintenance of a new facility.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 06:24:21 pm »

if that's the case the game is incorrectly made and should be fixed. It's supposed to be realistic right?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 06:34:08 pm »

if that's the case the game is incorrectly made and should be fixed. It's supposed to be realistic right?

Based on your questions, I'm going to guess that no, the purpose of the game is not to track national GDP and per capita income for the sake of doing so. I imagine it's meant to be vaguely realistic, but nothing in either thread has implied to me that RNG was looking for a simulator in the literal sense.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 07:50:27 pm »

I'd also like a bit more detail on what "American Industrial Revolution" means exactly. Crude cars, smokestacks everywhere, and almost everyone has a radio to hear news and advertisements?

Yes, I'm expecting Horseless Carriages and Capitalists and flappers and angry-lower-class-workers and whatnot. Means Armok's TeleCom company will be dealing in Telegraphs and those kickass old Telephones if I'm right about the period.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 07:57:53 pm »

Perhaps more importantly, how does making money, upkeep, and debt work in relation to each other? If we spend all of our money right now, for instance, is that a good idea, risky, or guaranteed to mean we can't pay the workers on time?
A little older on the setting era, yet for some reason television already exists. At the moment it's a very limited market.

I won't let you go into debt, but you need money you can sell part of your company on the stock market. Rather than having individual shares, you can just sell a % of your company, and that % will be multiplied times the net worth, and you get that much money. Of course, sell too much of your company and you risk being taken over. 

Is there any point in owning an entire supply chain? It seems not, with raw materials costing less then the labor and maintenance of a new facility.
That was just a basic number I got from the top of my head, though I will probably still use $10,000 as a starting point. As technology improves however, factories and such will start consuming more resources and putting out more goods, and because you sell things at a 25% penalty(including produced goods), owning a supply chain will reduce the amount of money you need to spend on materials. To illustrate, owning an iron mine won't make your factories any more profitable, but owning factories will make your iron mine more profitable.

Ok, a few questions:
-  what is the rage, on the world map, of broadcast towards? Also what about frequency bandwidth?
- for that mater, what is the scale of the worldmap, kilometres per pixel and what's the population and GDP of the different states?
- How much is the money worth in buying power. it says dollars, but the value of one has varied a lot historically.
- it looks like there'll be no tracking of cities in this?
- more exacting detail on the tech level would be nice.
Range is indefinite. It reaches as many people as it needs to.
Scale doesn't really matter either, it's just one of those things I'm abstracting out for the sake of simplicity. Shipping over land is cheaper than shipping overseas, but all overseas shipping costs the same, and all over land shipping costs the same. If you really need a scale, then 1 mm = 1 km.
Buying power is sort of abstracted too, but I actually have a value for this one. $1,000 is the average yearly wage for an unskilled worker.
I doubt cities will really come into play. It would be fun to have them, but it would also be hell to keep track of.
Tech level is late industrial era, with advancing communications, better steel production, new chemical processes, etc. Plastic has not yet been developed. If you mean how technology in the game works, when a research institute produces enough science, it is turned into a technology. Technologies can be something like "+5 Improved Manufacturing", which increases a factory's output by 5%. This technology can be sold or applied to your own factories.

Basic production numbers are as follows:

Factory
Consumes: Metal
Produces: Manufactured Goods(Weapons, Cars, Appliances, etc.)
Expenses: $10,000 L; $10,000 M; $10,000 R
Income: $120,000 G

Chemical Plant
Consumes: Raw Chemicals
Produces: Consumer Compounds(Medicine, Appliances, Fuel, etc.)
Expenses: $20,000 L; $20,000 M; $20,000 R
Income: $210,000 G

Extraction Facility
Consumes: Nothing
Produces: Raw Materials(Metal, Chemicals, Lumber, etc.)
Expenses: $10,000 L; $10,000 M
Income: $80,000 R

Shipping Yard
Produces: Service(Shipping)
Expenses: $10,000 L; $10,000 M
Income: $60,000 S

Broadcast Tower
Produces: Service(Information)
Expenses: $10,000 M
Income: $40,000 S

Farm
Produces: Food(Meat, Grain, etc.)
Expenses: $10,000 L
Income: $35,000 S

Warehouse
Produces: Service(Storage)
Expenses: $10,000 M
Income: $20,000 S
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 12:26:12 am »

I'm interested in joining... to what degree can I assume things exist? For example, fruit gusher mines (BEWARE THE GUSH!)? Is there any benefit to, say, mining my own fruit gushers and distributing them in my own facilities, as opposed to just having one or the other? Does having mines make the metals cost of my factories go away? Or what?

But to heck with it. I'm going to join if there's room.

Company Name: Willie Wonka
Main Industry: Dangerous Candy (BEWARE THE GUSH!)
Special Advantage: slaves Oompah Loompahs

More question bombardment: Do I need to keep track of what I'm selling? Like, do I just sell "Candy" or do I sell Gusher Bombs, Sticky Stranglers and Cholesterol Caramels, and might have to manage publicity for each? All of these rules are so vague. :/
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 02:37:59 am »

Firstly, can I still join?
Company Name: Complete Force
Main Industry: Mercenaries
Special Advantage: Military Connections
And secondly, holy shit, Orienta doesn't have a government:
Spoiler: Governments (click to show/hide)
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2010, 03:19:20 am »

I have some questions.
Can you rebuy your shares?
You get income the turn you buy the edifices?
We have to order production, or it produces automatically?
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2010, 08:56:49 am »

Not taking any more players at the moment, sorry. No need to keep track of what you're selling. If you have a metal mine, you use your production from that instead of buying raw metal off the market.

You can rebuy shares.
You do get income the same turn you buy something.
Production happens automatically.

I was trying to simplify this as much as possible by eliminating minor things that don't really impact the game, but it's still helluva complicated. I think I may have underestimated how much work this was going to be.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 04:33:28 pm »

So I saw you gave up.

If you do a redraft, make it clear what kind of actions are available to the players. Should make a lot more sense then.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 [2]