Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress? Mo' like ANIMAL Fortress amirite  (Read 6582 times)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress? Mo' like ANIMAL Fortress amirite
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 08:25:03 pm »

Pit's what you're looking for.  Wall it off with sealed internal doors, fortifications and/or windows, then designate the whole area with a zoo that's divided into "In Jail" and "Just Visiting" sectors, then pit everything in there.  The problem I run into is cats.  I inevitably wind up with some dwarf who has fifteen stinking kittens as pets, so I have to use the old lever maneuver to trick him into murdering them all, which usually ends in him going berserk and it's tantrum city.

Another option is chains, of course.  Buy a bunch of elfin rope reed cloth, twist it into ropes and line your corridors with shackled critters.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 09:33:14 pm »

Back on the rails, a really good way to have a controlled population of livestock is mules. Horse + Donkey = sterile mule. They don't breed, are large meat animals, can be selectively bred with one gigantic, enormous male horse to be very productive and I think you can milk the female donkeys.

Can you actually breed mules in 31.10? I thought they were import-only.

Another option is chains, of course.  Buy a bunch of elfin rope reed cloth, twist it into ropes and line your corridors with shackled critters.

Ah, the feline burglar alarm system.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 10:51:08 pm »

Now what would be really fun would be if you could chain animals to other animals.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 01:39:12 am »

You can breed mules. But the horses that traders bring with them would ruin the day. Also, immigrant pet horses.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 07:54:59 pm »

It takes a little while for a dwarf with the Animal Care labor enabled to come let them out. That labor is also used to cage animals. Since it's so important I usually enable it on all my dwarfs, or at least most of them.

Actually the skill is Animal Hauling. Animal Care is somewhat not-useful.

That's what I meant, yeah, got them confused.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 04:30:34 am »

Dig a room, carve a hole in the ceiling, seal off the room, throw animals down the hole.

This. It always works for me.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 04:08:25 am »

Personally, I build a tall spire, and throw the animals off of it onto the butchers shop.. unless its cattle, then I just milk them like a mad man.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 05:56:21 am »

kill them all except for anything that fights.  By about year 2 immigrants pets and standing wardogs should have enough female dogs, all other standard domestics must die.  Anything else will eventually end up in death of FPS.  What do you need to breed them for, more food?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 05:57:06 am »

You can get rid of claimed pets with a decent little setup

Say you have a corridor between the booze and the meeting area

Code: [Select]
#############
++++++D++++++
++++++D++++++
#+#########+#
#+#       #+#
#+P+BBBBB+P+#
Doors get set to disallow animals, bridge detour to the side gets set as very low pathfinding area. pressure plates linked to bridge. Animals will try and follow their owners, eventually they won't manage to get through the doors, so then path through the bridge to the south, hit the pressure plate on the way though which drops them down into whatever pit/magma you have below.

You probably need to have it bigger to get the delays right, and you might also want to do it with a wider corridor to make sure that noone trys walking it themselves (in the case of magma at least). You could ahve a magma releasing system so you can check first, if your into that though.
Magma is overrated.

Leperous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 03:58:07 pm »

Simple spike traps, placed in busy corridors, attached to levers work wonders. Bonus points if you can avoid injuring any dwarves in the process.

Seriously, try it one day :)

Zyrjello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 02:22:34 am »

I prefer to toss my excess animals off the top of a tower. Sure, it's only as fast as the dwarves can climb the tower, but the splash of body parts as the creature hits the floor is remarkably satisfying.
Pages: 1 [2]