Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Image Hosting  (Read 1393 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Image Hosting
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:05:57 am »

My wikidot account is about to expire, and I don't have any burning desire to blow $50 just for a year of image hosting on a wiki that I won't use.

I may be moving my 'Cult' project to a devblog or website soon. Can anyone recommend a good file and/or website host that I can unload stuff on, either as a cheap temporary solution or as a good host that I can simply move everything to at some point?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Image Hosting
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 11:08:37 am »

Photobucket, imageshack, and tinypic are good places for temporary pic storage.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 11:09:52 am »

These are very large images (some as big as ~2megs). Places like photobucket aren't likely to be particularly ideal, especially since they have a tendency to resize images they consider too large.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 12:16:36 pm »

Sorry, I don't know of any places that would work for large pics like that.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 01:48:55 pm »

ImageShack has a 5 Mb limit per image. 

About bandwidth:
Quote from: ImageShack FAQ
ImageShack allows unlimited bandwidth for images, videos, and slideshows when viewed from our landing page. If an image is hotlinked, it will have a limit during our peak traffic. Imageshack allows 2000mb per hour for each image hosted. Gif images are limited at 500mb per hour. Peak time is from 6:00am to 3:00pm PST. Off peak there are no limits. If a hotlinked image exceeds this amount, it will become inaccessible, and you would need to send us an email to have it enabled again.

In order to prevent inaccessible hotlinked images, please utilize the clickable thumbnail function as often as possible instead of hotlinking full images. Clickable thumbnails are generally small in size and do not use as much bandwidth as large images. Your images' viewers will be able to click on the thumbnails in order to see the large images.

The most common causes of large bandwidth usage are animated gifs inside the avatar and signature section of message boards and non-thumbnailed series of large images.

Premium users have no bandwidth limits.

You should probably use it temporarily as a free user and then get your own web host.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:18:54 pm »

I'm pretty sure Dropbox could be a viable solution.  It's free and you get two gigs of space automatically.  If you refer someone or someone refers you, you get something like an extra 250mb.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 11:18:14 pm »

Got a Google account? Use Picasa.

And to retain image size, just expand the image you uploaded, copy image URL, and paste where necessary. The shrunken sizes also work.

Of course, Picasa allows up to 1 GB of space free, but should still allow for some reasonably large image uploads. I advise you optimize the images first though.

EDIT:
For 5 bucks a year, storage can be expanded to 20GB.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:23:22 pm by Itnetlolor »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:32:44 pm »

Although it is likely that you know what you are doing, possibly consider why the images could be so large. If you just use .bmp, you can get far better reslts with either .jpg(lossy compression, but really good for photos) or .png(lossless compression. Very good lossless compression. Just not as good as .jpg for large photos. Perfect for pixel art and images with limited palettes), or even .gif(I think it has a worse compression system than .png, and it is limited to 255 or 256 colours. But it *does* support animation...).

If, as I suspect, you know about basic image formats, then the image host you want will vary based on a number of factors. Most of them have/will be covered by other posters.
Eh?
Eh!