Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taxidermy would be awesome.  (Read 1852 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Taxidermy would be awesome.
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:45:17 am »

This way we could stuff forgotten beasts and other toughies and create trophy rooms.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Taxidermy would be awesome.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:40:02 am »

Agreed

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 09:52:13 am »

Perfect. Stuffed GCS.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:52:36 am »

Could be fun but I think that there are currently more important things. (and I think we can mod it in somehow)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 09:54:58 am »

I don't like it when dwarves go all b'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw over a pet rotting. I am NOT building a goddamned casket for your goddamn dog!

Taxidermy would solve this, I think. Just set an option to "stuff pets" and then build them in a memorial hall or something... or use them as statues in my corridors. Nice and morbid.
 "This is Amost Wirescalded the dog - pet of Urist McDwarf. The left leg is stitched on. It is encircled with bands of lace agate and menaces with spikes of lace agate. On the dog is an image of a dwarf in cat leather. The dwarf is in a fetal position. The artwork relates to the dehydration of Urist McDwarf in 1055 in the valley of herbs"
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 12:08:50 pm »

G = "This is a gryphon. It is stitched together from a Giant eagle and a Giant Lion. Its encircled with bands steel. ITs the model for the civ symbol of the feathered towers."

So i like to expand the suggestion into the area of fake animals which are stitched together from different things.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 05:53:29 pm »

Kinda like the idea of trophy heads mounted on walls.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 10:35:42 pm »

Yeah. This has existed for a long time. It just makes sense. It would work like statues. The value would be related to the creatures. Maybe increased by it being named creature or such. It would require the creatures skin/hide. Aswell as something to just fill it up, and prop it up. It would be one of those things, which you would select materials. Yeah this could work and be pretty awesome. We dont need to have stuffed goblins yet. But like hunting trophies, yes. I want this.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 09:00:47 am »

To avoid some sort of coding overhaul, I suggest that taxidermy trophies should be constructions, like statues or gem windows, so that you could select individual components while still constructing your monstrosity with any combination of skins/heads/horns/antlers/etc...
Unfortunately, my suggestion makes taxidermy unmoodable, and we all want to see what a taxidermist with a fell mood would do.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 11:25:23 am »

Well, I think you would need a head or a whole creature, so if Urist McAxelord carves up the gob or forgotten beast into right upper arms and left lower legs and third fingers, left hand, then there's no stuffing that prize.

But I definitely want a trophy room!

Pathetic One

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 07:19:21 pm »

(I'm not sure if I should have posted my reply http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5999.msg2043480#msg2043480 on the 2007 taxidermy thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5999.0 or on this one.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 09:53:32 am »

I'm just posting here to let anyone interested know that taxidermy has been successfully modded into the game. I know that is is not the same as a vanilla feature, but people that would like to use it are free to do so: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152734.msg6480648#msg6480648
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::