Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reading Things Literally  (Read 3344 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reading Things Literally
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:38:54 pm »

I always wonder how people would take it if they looked over my shoulder while looking at the DF forums..
suggestions for Kitten Cannons, mothers using their babies as shields, and elephants slaughtering many.

Can you think of any threads that would make people gasp if they read it over your shoulder? :P
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Things Literally
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 12:40:04 pm »

There's one thread where people have been trying to harvest merpeople for their bones...
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:58:05 pm »

not to mention the dwarven milk threads, or talk about cross training dwarves by drowning and stabbing with spikes at the same time.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:30:04 pm »

Don't forget the plump helmet man thread or the children waterfall thread, and once I saw a dwarf mother surfing her baby over spikes.

I accidentally made my gf cry after I told her about the kitten butchering thread I was reading... XD so yeah...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:30:43 pm »

Goblin Fortress, Succubus Mod, the ongoing raging argument for or against poop, and of course, my personal favorite, the competition to see who could come up with the cruelest methods of breeding elves just to torture them for all eternity.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 01:34:28 pm »

Also, I have no idea what "reading things literally" has to do with it, that was literally what everyone meant in context.  We really were harvesting mermaid infants for their bones, torturing elves, trying to create a continuous curtain of babies falling to their doom, inflicting kitten genocide for fun, dropping cats into the HFS just to see if the HFS could kill the kittens faster than they could give birth to more kittens, creating sex-demons to slather enemies with their breasts, and their toxic "excretions", etc etc etc.

Dwarf Fortress: In context, it's even worse than it sounds.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:37:33 pm »

Well, one could say that we are only figuratively moving dwarves about to do terrible things to the world; literally speaking, we're typing on a keyboard to flip some bits on a hard drive. Those bits represent ascii smiley faces, which represent dwarves, but if you were to point to that smiley face and say "I am literally pointing at a dwarf right now" you would be wrong. Unless there's a dwarf hiding behind your monitor, which would honestly be pretty scary, and you should probably see to that situation before continuing this internet semantics debate.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 05:52:36 pm »

Yes, sorry for my grammatical error :P
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:58:48 pm »

Not, grammatical, just an error with the usage of the word. Grammar pertains specifically to the structure of a sentence; Whether or not one puts excises a preposition and whatnot.

In other news, my friends are used to me making hilariously over the top multi-paragraph death threats, so DF remains within the non-squick boundaries.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 06:06:31 pm »

Well, one could say that we are only figuratively moving dwarves about to do terrible things to the world; literally speaking, we're typing on a keyboard to flip some bits on a hard drive. Those bits represent ascii smiley faces, which represent dwarves, but if you were to point to that smiley face and say "I am literally pointing at a dwarf right now" you would be wrong. Unless there's a dwarf hiding behind your monitor, which would honestly be pretty scary, and you should probably see to that situation before continuing this internet semantics debate.

has anyone seen that stargate atlantis episode where they think there playing a game but its actualy controlling 2 vilages hmmmmmmm :D (need to impliment this into df somehow)
may your lċnem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 06:26:25 pm »

has anyone seen that stargate atlantis episode where they think there playing a game but its actualy controlling 2 vilages hmmmmmmm :D (need to impliment this into df somehow)

That was an awesome episode.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 06:34:40 pm »

just think of what would happen if df actualy controlled a real settlement good god the horror  :o 
it would be the ultimate game ever
may your lċnem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 06:55:05 pm »

That was an awesome episode.
It's also ripped directly from Ender's Game.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 07:35:37 pm »

trying to create a continuous curtain of babies falling to their doom
[/quote

Try nuffin, I succeeded at it, if only for a brief "flow." And about 90 percent exploded on impact too, baby/child mist.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 09:38:52 pm »

Even I'm scared to mess with Goblin Fortress.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: [1] 2