Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dungeons  (Read 2313 times)

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 09:34:07 pm »

. Secondly, we have the caverns. While these can be open and easy to move around in, they are hell to navigate... Once you go in, chances are you do not come out, making for great laberenths to test your survival, especialy in some mods that include more viciouse beasts.
Yeah, I lost several adventurers, after clearing out in the cavern what I needed to, having no idea where the exit was. Which lead me to think of maybe some pathfinding mechanic, which lead me to think of Hansel and Grettle's breadcrumbs, which lead me to think of the DF version of breadcrumbs, leaving a trail of blood and severed body parts to find your way out. :P Which would actually work...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 10:12:11 pm »

You know, on the topic of dungeons, though, I had a suggestion a few months back involving Raw-Generatable Procedural Maps.  The basic premise is that we could generate player-created rooms, buildings, ruins, whatever, make them in raws, include modular pieces inside those rooms and buildings, and then use procedural construction based off these raws in worldgen.

This would mean that a modder could create a new race/civilization, give that race their own particular style of archetecture by settting a bunch of variables in how the procedural generation works and making a few raws for building floor plans, and we could wind up with a host of player-made architecture styles.

Basically, if we applied this to dungeons, we could potentially literally make some NetHack style dungeons, created by specific modded-in races of beings that still inhabit their fortresses and protect them.  And then we could all share these dungeons we built over DFFD, and some people might make super-mod packs like what Genesis Mod does by combining enough little things to make dozens of mods into one giant package.  Basically, we'd eventually have some super "Adventurer's Tour" mod, where multiple procedurally-created castles and dungeons pockmark every corner of the map.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]