Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Hunter's Moon - 18th century werewolves [1.01.09]  (Read 37595 times)

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter's Moon - 18th century werewolves [1.01.09]
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2011, 12:57:57 pm »

Well i've got the first part of the discovery of this continent, i really need to name at some point, sorted. America was first discovered and colonised by the vikings and it's reasonable to assume that in this situation they would all have died pretty quickly and any further exploration by them would also have failed.

Next we have Columbus who landed on some of the outlaying islands first. now in reality he next went too far south to hit this wolf continent and so they'd have died but if he didn't then they would also probably have died. I'm thinking that to fit the time period this should have meant the first successful discovery should be a around a hundred years later by chance of enough of the crew surviving to make it back.

Now i know what would happen after this roughly but the thing i can't seem to work out is what the power situation would be in Europe if America hadn't been discovered. I don't know enough about what was going on then to know how the lack of the resources in the Americas would have done to Spain and all the other early colonisers. I haven't got round to doing all the research yet so any ideas anyone has would be helpful.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2011, 01:55:25 pm »

Well around that time there were the basic power struggles between France and England and Spain. They were the main powers at the time and were all making the major grabs for America as soon as they learned it could be exploited. Without reading into it right now off the top of my head I know the French and English were pretty much at war on and off from 1600 - 1800 (roughly give or take about 50 years)

England made its first settlement in 1607 (Jamestown)
France made theirs in 1608 (Quebec City)

Spain and Dutch were in the Eighty Years War before and during this time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighty_Years%27_War

There was also the Thirty Years' War which pitted France and Spain against one another (among many others)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years%27_War

England and Spain were at war as well in this time frame
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Armada

Long story short it was a big cluster f** between Spain, England, France, Netherlands/Dutch, Holy Roman Empire, Ireland, and any number of other countries in the middle of it all

these are two good general links that you can scan over and get a good idea of what was going on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_century
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17th_century

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2011, 04:01:38 pm »

Exactly a lot of the conflicts and thus the changes in who had power depended on america. So what would happen if that was unavailable? There's almost no use going into lots of detail here but i will need to work out which countries had which technologies and specialties and who would have the greatest presence on the islands around the continent and then on the continent itself when the colonisation begins.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2011, 04:43:59 pm »

Well I would assume Spain would have the most presence on the islands and what not considering there activities there first. England and Spain both had top of the line navies.

When it comes to overall power I think England likely pulls ahead because as they entered into America just north of where Spain was active Spain obviously didn't go much farther north.

France seems the late runner in it all.

So a rough technology/power estimate would be a tough one between Spain and England followed by France.

Spain being superior in the exploration/seamanship area and England in the land warfare technologies

The french seemed to be pretty good with fortifications and military constructions
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:46:25 pm by dennislp3 »

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2011, 07:57:45 pm »

Yes but how much money did spain get from the south to begin with. Almost all income from anything other than the islands would not exist here. I expect the islands would go to who had the better navy at the time. I expect africa and asia would also be very important in predicting how things would go down.

I'm doing some research on the territory the respective empires had at the time now. Hopefully it should give a good idea of who would be left with what power.

EDIT:

Now i've spent a few hours going over the maps and history i think I've got a pretty good idea of how i'll set out the history.

The majority of the information i have used to work this out has been gained in the last few hours with the remainder coming from my general knowledge of the period. If anyone has a greater understanding please point out any problems.

There are pretty much four big contenders here: The Spanish, the Portuguese, the English and the French.

Now i'm going to set it out in several stages:

1) Discovery - lots of failed expeditions until word gets back around 1600.
2) Initial colonisation of outlaying islands - Period between 1600 and 1700
3) Colonisation of the mainland - 1700 - ~1750 when game is set

I've described the first stage earlier but i need to amend that since i now find out that Columbus never even reached the mainland until his third voyage. This doesn't change the result because the map i'm imagining is of a continent similar to north america (minus mexico) shifted north a bit with a set of islands roughly the size of the Caribbean/Bahamas islands along the east and southern sides. So this means Columbus died a horrible death at sea or was forced home. The end result is that discovery is delayed by a hundred years.

The balance of power is now very different to reality. Spain and Portugal loose their massive advantage over France and England. There is overall less colonisation by these countries but there is more in africa and the far east. When the wolf continent and the islands are discovered there is colonisation of them but it is much fairer with England and France having the majority due to the islands being further north. War in europe dominates the politics at this point with the main combatants being Spain and France. This is a fairer fight but still means England gains the largest share of territory in the west (but not by much as no one really has much interest) while Portugal along with the Dutch gain the most in the east.

The wolf continent at this point does not attract too much interest. The furs and the hope of precious metals keep a dozen or so costal colonies running. The islands are too far north for any significant sugar or cotton plantations and so have pretty small populations.

Towards the end of the 17th century things change drastically though. Slowly (due to a lot of people dying as soon as they leave the colonies) it emerges that there's a lot of valuable metals on this new continent especially silver. This brings a new interest and the number of colonies increases rapidly. Soon though the casualties mount and progress slows to a crawl.

At this same time though the superstitions of werewolves from Europe and the silver thing have been incubating. Silver is expensive though and so it's use against the wolves is mostly in jewelry which has very little effect when it comes to increasing survival chances, however successful hunters and explorers are investing in silver ammunition and the occasional blade. Due to silver not killing a wolf outright it is hard to verify the belief and again as silver is so expensive it's use as ammunition for soldiers is non existent.

Soon after the discovery of large qualtities of gold and silver mines start popping up. It doesnt take long for people to notice silver mines go up and stay up much easier than others. The soldiers defending these silver mines would soon start using at least a certain percentage of silver in their ammo and at this point the evidence begins to snowball. Soon with the cheap silver hunters are making wide use of it and so then individual soldiers followed by entire regiments.

The countries begin a desperate grab for silver mines and equip their soldiers with as much as they can afford. Conflict breaks out across the region adding a new front to the war started in europe with the waning spanish forces joining with the French to battle the rising threat of the British and their Portuguese allies.

It's a few years after the conflict really takes off in the west that the game starts although i think worldgen could just about handle it from the discovery of the precious metals. I'll need to experiment with the new version to see what i want to do.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:59:00 pm by Foamy »

knight133

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 24, 2011, 06:48:35 pm »

this would been cool for a 2D game.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2011, 08:06:17 am »

this would been cool for a 2D game.
What is this I don't even?

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2011, 02:45:20 pm »

I'll just take it as a compliment I think.

chemioterapia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 27, 2011, 02:58:33 pm »

Lol, why i cant go below 1 level underground ? I cant build stairs etc. WTF?

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 27, 2011, 03:14:22 pm »

is that through earth or rock? i don't remember putting a rock mining limitation in this like i did with dune.

chemioterapia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2011, 05:43:40 am »

I cant mine rock, cause i can't > and build stairs.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2011, 08:30:04 am »

That's weird. can you still mine through rock horizontally? also is it limited to this mod?

chemioterapia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2011, 03:08:12 pm »

Cant, level below 1 doesn't exist.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2011, 08:59:28 pm »

So what about horizontal and other mods?

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2012, 06:25:30 pm »

Unfortunately, despite how exciting this update is for the mod, i have way too much uni work to be doing. This semester will finish in 6-7 weeks though and i'm looking forward to creating the first actually playable version of this mod. So much more is possible now though that i know it will be worth the wait.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10