Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Already dead pets and coffins?  (Read 7790 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Already dead pets and coffins?
« on: August 03, 2010, 12:36:00 pm »

I had someone's pet die (old age) and I had no coffins placed. I got some placed and set them to allow burial and made sure pets were allowed, but the cat corpse remains in the refuse stockpile, unburied. It's not forbidden or anything. How do I make the dwarfs bury it?

Edit: Okay, I savescummed to the previous season, built some coffins and placed them, made sure they were enabled, and the pet died and went to the graveyard (refuse stockpile) again.  Am I really the only DF player who has had pets die of old age? :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:35:46 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
Re: Already dead pets and coffins?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 01:14:37 pm »

I had someone's pet die (old age) and I had no coffins placed. I got some placed and set them to allow burial and made sure pets were allowed, but the cat corpse remains in the refuse stockpile, unburied. It's not forbidden or anything. How do I make the dwarfs bury it?

Wait...  You want to put a cat... in a coffin?  And it's already dead? The simple solution is to drop all cats into magma or the circus, thereby keeping all your coffins available for tomb-worthy dwarfs.  Seriously?  At cat?  In a coffin?  ;)

If your refuse pile is outside, you may need to allow dwarfs to collect refuse from outside.  Just a guess...  Or it may have completely lost its pet status, having decomposed sufficiently.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:15:38 pm »

If it's in a refuse pile, it could be that the dwarves have classified it as garbage.

However, do try going to orders and telling them to gather refuse from outside and then remove the refuse stockpile where the cat's body is.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:19:13 pm »

Perhaps the owning dwarf had died.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 01:24:21 pm »

Owning dwarf is still alive, and dwarfs can gather refuse from outside.

I edited my original post, I tried savescumming to when the pet was still alive and building coffins, but the dead pet still ends up in the garbage.

I have a bunch of dead stray animals in the trash and that's fine, they are unowned so nobody is unhappy about them rotting outside in the rain. (Except me. I will build display cases for them later.)  I'd really like to bury the owned ones though.  I know that killed pets go into coffins, I think this may be a bug with them dying of old age, what I'd like to know (aside from an outright fix) is if anyone ever had any pets die of old age get properly buried.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:57:03 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 03:26:17 pm »

Adopted cats seem to behave rather strangely in that they aren't completely marked as being the pet of a dwarf, so when they die they're just chucked in a refuse stockpile to rot rather than being placed in a coffin. By comparison, immigrant cats will be buried when they die.

While playing the old 2D version (0.23.130.23a), I've observed that "adopted" cats don't actually get named - they just get called "cat (tame)" instead of "Urist Verminhunter, cat (tame)" (or "Stray cat (tame)". It's possible that this is a very old bug that's just never been completely fixed (i.e. it was fixed to assign them names, but it still doesn't mark them for burial on death).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 03:40:05 pm »

Also, check the coffin to make sure it hasn't been claimed by something else.  IIRC, it's a first dead, first buried system, so if another pet died previously it gets priority, even if there's no body left.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 05:13:21 pm »

The coffins are all unused. I found a related bug report in the bug tracker and added my notes. Seems like it is owned animals that die of natural causes or non-combat causes that don't get buried properly.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 05:30:44 pm »

Since cats supposedly adopt dwarves instead of the other way around when happens when a adopted dwarf dies and pets are marked for coffin burial?

theqmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 07:13:21 pm »

On a semi-related note, what does providing coffins actually do for the dead dorfs?  Why is it better than throwing their body on the garbage heap?

Quadricwan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 12:27:38 am »

On a semi-related note, what does providing coffins actually do for the dead dorfs?  Why is it better than throwing their body on the garbage heap?

If a dwarf's friend/pet is rotting, they'll get a major unhappy thought.  Coffins prevent this.
Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:14:51 am »

If a dwarf's friend/pet is rotting, they'll get a major unhappy thought.  Coffins prevent this.

I have a storage room or "graveyard" where I just chuck dead animals and dwarves who are awaiting a burial. I'm not sure this does much to combat the bad thoughts, but it's an impractical solution .. everything's so over-the-top violent that every kitten that dies at the hands of an enemy is torn into itty bitty pieces and fills up the entire graveyard!

... so if I need bins for the damned cat anyway, I might as well bury them. oh. wait. i forgot that I don't care about your damned cat tantrums. can you spell "atomsmasher" urist?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 02:37:08 pm »

I'm having this same problem with dogs, an unfortunate side effect of thinking about the danger room after handing out the war animals. 

I have lots of coffins available for pets.  Owner is still very much alive and unhappy to see his beloved iton Solamazir rotting to mush.  Order were first on save corpses, which put it on the stockpile.  Switching to dump corpses prompted a helpful dwarf to immediately send the carcass down the garbage pit.  And unforbidding the corpse means they pull it out of the bottom of the pit and toss it back down the top.

Has anyone seen pets get properly buried in the current version?  Check your coffins and let me know.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 02:44:00 pm »

I'm still having this issue. In my current fort, 3 owned cats all died at the same time. I unforbid the corpses (since auto-forbid everything is on as I'll be turning on invaders soon)

Results: 1 cat properly buried, 2 in the refuse pile.

I tried dumping, undumping, forbidding, pausing, unforbidding, etc. Nothing worked. I uploaded my save to DFFD and posted the link in the bug tracker entry for it. Not sure if the saves help or not but if they do it may be worth it to zip up your save, upload it, and add it to the bug report. http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=790

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 02:47:57 pm »

Same deal here.  Death of old age means the pet doesn't get buried properly.  I gave it the burial in the ol' magma sea and the owner stopped having bad thoughts about the pet decaying, I believe...