Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine Bolts are lethal - goblin body pile.  (Read 2059 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Adamantine Bolts are lethal - goblin body pile.
« on: March 19, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »

First an explanation of my fort:
My most recent fort is a little family fort where I made a bit of iron armor and got all the starter dwarves killed fighting off the demons (they actually won, though) after the metalsmith & wife arrived. Years passed, and I have a few nobles now (broker, bookkeeper, dungeonmaster), the econony started (even though I killed the manager as soon as he came, too bad you can't turn that off - I had to have the broker to chasm and melt things), and the couple's many children have begun growing up.

Just to try something new, I also made it so that horses dropped adamantine (cheating, yes, but I would disable the demon and mine the stuff if I could - I was getting bored of just steel, and I want to see if I can get adamantine artifacts) and have been breeding them to make things. So far, I made 3 sets of full adamantine plate, crossbows, and some bolts. My first 3 children to grow up were given these and trained, first in wrestling and then in crossbows.

So now in the spring of 1067 my first siege happens, and 24 goblins show up on the map. At first I think that I will probably have to just burn them up in magma, but I decide to try my 3 marksdwarves out (who are at expert, professional, and accomplished levels now). So I send them down to the enterance to my fort, and position them in a line a bit into my 3 tile hallway. Each of them are carrying 10 adamantine bolts.

So after a few minutes, the goblins make their way to the fortress, come in the doors, and start making their way down the hall in 3 lines of 8.

They take a few steps, approach the dwarves, and then they are in firing range - the 3 dwarves start firing off the 30 bolts as the goblins start to charge. The bolts fly down the hallway and in a couple seconds every single goblin is dead, 24 goblins piled onto eachother across the hallway, and a few extra bolts fly past them hitting the ground behind them. The dwarves never moved from their posts, and none of them have any wounds at all. No messy limbs to clean up either, just 24 neatly piled goblin bodies.

I wish I would have made a video, or at least taken a screenshot of the aftermath, but by the time I thought of it I had already moved the bodies to the refuse piles.  

I can't wait for something big to show up, I wonder how many adamantine bolts it would take to pincushion a dragon...

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Lord Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Bolts are lethal - goblin body pile.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:26:00 pm »

You could pump up the frequency of dragons to ridiculous levels in the raws.

It worked for me, once, when I wanted a good challenge.

he Dwarf Fortress Blog is now up and running, albeit ugly and empty. Do your part, and email stories, worlds, and mod files to dasuberalt@yahoo.com

I''ll put it up on the blog, and give you credit.

http://dwarffortressblog.blogspot.com/

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

Do that and record it, please.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

Wouldn't I need to start a new game for that change to take affect though?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:15:00 am »

Nope, only some things require a new world.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Iain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »

Hi Paul.

Could you share with us the code you made to make horses drop adamantine? I'm experimenting with dropping lumber (and occasionally steel), but ITEMCORPSE doesn't seem to work when the animal is butchered.

Out of interest, did you have them drop wafers, strands, or bars? (or all three... O.o)

Thanks

umbers? Pah! We''re Ninja!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »

Butchering will not cause the animal to drop the itemcorpse. You need to set up a drowning chamber or set the drop from a wild animal and use hunters/trap corridors.

[ITEMCORPSE:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:ADAMANTINE:NO_RACEGLOSS]

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 02:14:00 pm »

i once made dwarfs drop steel bars.  even with the scores of dead imagrants and nobles, they kept coming.  it was fun for a while.

with the adamantine thing, you might want them to drop raw ore.  that way you are not cutting out any steps in your refining / manufacturing process.

if you really want to be cheesy, you could increase the litter size of an animal, and decrease their lifespan.  make adamantine dropping cats that have litters of 20 and live for two years.  that way you dont have to even bother killing them, half your population is going to by croaking every year anyway.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>if you really want to be cheesy, you could increase the litter size of an animal, and decrease their lifespan.  make adamantine dropping cats that have litters of 20 and live for two years.  that way you dont have to even bother killing them, half your population is going to by croaking every year anyway.</STRONG>

Any dwarf that happens to like cats is going to go crazy with all the pet deaths, though...

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

serves them right for liking cats, evil little things....
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »

So would that be the maxage tag? I'm trying to get legendary adamantine here

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 12:46:00 pm »

thats right.  you'd want the max age to be 1:2, or you might try experimenting with 1:1

you also want to change the child value to something higher.

and cats might actually be a bad idea for this, as they adopt owners and are hard to butcher.  you might want to use dogs, instead.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »

But doesn't the itemcorpse flag not work when butchered?

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

Correct, the itemcorpse does not work with butchery.  Second, I don't think it's possible to increase litter sizes.  You can decrease them with the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag though.

The [CHILD:#] tag is not refering to litter sizes.  It's refering to maturation age.  Dwarves are considered children until they hit age 12 because dwarves have a [CHILD:12] tag.

I also don't think it's possible to increase litter frequency, so if you experiment with [MAXAGE:1:1] you may find yourself with a self-exterminating cat population.

The [MAXAGE:#:#] tag itself works as follows.  Every creature of that type is given a number in that range.  That will be the individual creature's natural death age.  So with a creature that has [MAXAGE:1:8], you'll get some that die at age 1.  Some that die at age 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and all of them will be dead by age 8.