Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Programming languages  (Read 1634 times)

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Programming languages
« on: March 31, 2011, 09:07:36 am »

Hi, I'm very curious if anyone knows what programming language or languages DF is written in. If anyone knows it would be much appreciated if you could share.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Programming languages
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:08:10 am »

C++, I'm pretty sure.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:45:20 am »

C++, I'm pretty sure.

This is correct, as far as I know.

ahonek

• Bay Watcher
  • Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:56:21 am »

It's actually mostly C, with some C++. Effectively that probably means he is writing C and compiling it with a C++ compiler. Here's my source for this information:

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2007/01/dwarf-fortress-interview-part-two.html

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:01:19 am »

It's actually mostly C, with some C++. Effectively that probably means he is writing C and compiling it with a C++ compiler. Here's my source for this information:

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2007/01/dwarf-fortress-interview-part-two.html

Actually, quite a lot of the game is written in C++ now - lots of things exist as instances of classes (including creatures, items, materials, languages, and everything else specified within the raws), and it's well known that the STL "vector" class is used for just about every list of objects.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.