Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A Caravan Accidentally Got Crushed Under A Cave-In  (Read 8621 times)

JamesP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Friends are Electric
Re: A Caravan Accidentally Got Crushed Under A Cave-In
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 11:52:11 am »

Usually killing just one caravan isn't enough for them to get angry with you. This is a pretty good exploit, because the amount of cloth you get from that caravan will be worth enough to legally buy anything you like from the next ten caravans.

While true, you don't get export wealth from this because you didn't create the items yourself. I think.

The idea, I believe, is to craft with the cloth and then trade the crafts.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 11:58:47 am »

While true, you don't get export wealth from this because you didn't create the items yourself. I think.
Export wealth is good for: Triggering goblins early, triggering megabeasts early, triggering nobles early.

So, low export wealth is a good thing.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

JamesP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Friends are Electric
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 12:02:04 pm »

Export wealth is good for: Triggering goblins early, triggering megabeasts early, triggering nobles early.

So, low export wealth is a good thing.

I like those things early, fun and all.  Difference of opinion I suppose.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 05:06:25 pm »

1: make farm plot
2: plant sweet pods
3: process to barrel
4: cook syrup
5: trade 1-4 of your 15000 dwarfbuck sweetpod syrup roasts for everything they have
6: optionally offer 1-4 sweetpod syrup roasts and they love you long time.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 06:21:57 pm »

Broken in DF2010, sadly.  Meals can't be cooked entirely from liquids anymore.  Might be able to mix syrup and cheese or something like that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 07:06:33 pm »

I wonder what that would taste like... Blehk!
...or maybe not... ...hmm...

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 07:38:56 pm »

Or you could make rhesus pieces. ;D
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 05:28:16 am »

Broken in DF2010, sadly.  Meals can't be cooked entirely from liquids anymore.  Might be able to mix syrup and cheese or something like that.

Not so much 'broken' as 'on purpose' but yes just make sure your syrup stockpile is closer to your kitchen then your solid foods and your chef will take all the syrup he can first and then a single solid item to complete the meal. Flour is good for this, long live 50000 dwarfbuck masterpiece food.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 12:03:21 pm »

Or you could make rhesus pieces. ;D

Dammit breadbocks, this is neither the time nor the place for that sort of thing! We have a whole thread for awful puns in the Adventure forum!

Zebrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 12:15:40 pm »

Hate to resurrect an old topic, but I have intentionally built trade depots over pits, and dropped them into the pits when occupied, with no negative results, the caravans kept coming.

Was on Deon's mod, might have affected it.
Kira Mightblade: From flaw in a animation to memetic sex goddess in one thread.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 01:45:57 pm »

I do believe that if nobody from the caravan survives to take the story home (i.e. leaves the map), then nothing will come of you destroying every single caravan that comes to your fort...  At least, personal experience has show this to be true for me, at any rate, as any caravans that make it into my depot die a watery death, elf, human or dwarf...   Maybe if I get a fort past 10 years or so of doing this maybe something will happen, so far I get bored before then and go start another fort.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 04:47:59 pm »

My previous fort was quite notorious for having visits from elven merchants coinciding exactly with goblin ambushes.
... I got many free tamed animals.
They never got any lead goblet, or rock craft, or body back, until I bothered to install protections 10-odd years later. And no, they never attacked me back, but I suspect that's because they feared they would be synchronized with a goblin siege.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 05:02:35 pm »

Not so much 'broken' as 'on purpose' but yes just make sure your syrup stockpile is closer to your kitchen then your solid foods and your chef will take all the syrup he can first and then a single solid item to complete the meal. Flour is good for this, long live 50000 dwarfbuck masterpiece food.

Problem is that if there's even one solid in stock, they won't use any liquids. So in practice, liquids almost never get cooked.

Only way I had around that was to forbid everything else but 1 solid and 3 liquids and cook em, problem is, every other dwarf will steal the stuff from the kitchen and cancel the cooking (maybe you can prevent it if you unforbid everything fast once the cook is already working). This is probably less likely with syrup, since the dwarfs will probably just pick a single item from the solid stack as opposed to the whole barrel of liquid (in case of booze).

Anyway, it's 100% DEFINITELY worth it, a single stack of micromanaged food is probably worth more than your entire fortress worth of crafts.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 08:08:49 am »

Problem is that if there's even one solid in stock, they won't use any liquids. So in practice, liquids almost never get cooked.

Only way I had around that was to forbid everything else but 1 solid and 3 liquids and cook em, problem is, every other dwarf will steal the stuff from the kitchen and cancel the cooking (maybe you can prevent it if you unforbid everything fast once the cook is already working). This is probably less likely with syrup, since the dwarfs will probably just pick a single item from the solid stack as opposed to the whole barrel of liquid (in case of booze).

Anyway, it's 100% DEFINITELY worth it, a single stack of micromanaged food is probably worth more than your entire fortress worth of crafts.

Can you elaborare on this? Which food is worth so much, and how can I make it?
Wouldn't it be easier to just create a kitchen with a stockpile of ONLY the required ingredients, a locked door to prevent other dwarves from stealing, and a burrow forcing the cook to have access only to that stockpile?
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 01:17:02 pm »

Can you elaborare on this? Which food is worth so much, and how can I make it?
Wouldn't it be easier to just create a kitchen with a stockpile of ONLY the required ingredients, a locked door to prevent other dwarves from stealing, and a burrow forcing the cook to have access only to that stockpile?

I noticed the most expensive stack of food to be those which have something with a nice multiplier cooked in and huge stacks of something else as a filler. Or both combined, like a roast out of four stacks of rhinoceros meat[67].
Pages: 1 [2] 3