Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Caravan Accidentally Got Crushed Under A Cave-In  (Read 8619 times)

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Caravan Accidentally Got Crushed Under A Cave-In
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:32:10 pm »

So a caravan got crushed under my cave-in "NOT" intended, well their crap is in my depot. I removed the depot and moved it and now i have their items, will they get mad at me?

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
Re: A Caravan Accidentally Got Crushed Under A Cave-In
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:33:38 pm »

The whole thing?
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 08:56:15 pm »

Well.... All of the donkeys and horses and humans... Their not that important... Right?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:01:46 pm »

Think about what you said for a moment. Would you like it if some stupid dwarf killed lots of merchants carrying valuable goods? In questionable circumstances?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 09:21:02 pm »

I've had humans siege me for goblins killing their merchants. So yeah, they'll be pissed.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:27:19 pm »

Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

It's all a matter of what came onto your map, and what came back.  If the books don't balance, then it's your fault.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 09:34:21 pm »

If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

WIN

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 09:54:11 pm »

f you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Oh hello signature!
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 10:51:22 pm »

That said, you can almost always get away with stealing all their crap about once or twice before the parent civ gets really upset.  I'll do that when I'm having trouble in a new fortress and need to take their booze and food to survive; I figure I'll make up the difference the next year by giving them extra stuff in trade that year.  I think it does average across years so if they're pissed at you this year and you give them a lot next year you should be square with them by the third year.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:11:38 pm »

It makes sense, from a certain point of view.

From the Human Civ's perspective, they sent you a caravan full of nice figurines and large clothing, and that caravan was never heard from again. If that happens a couple of times running, they assume the worst.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:48:38 pm »

Yes- it is DIRECTLY based on the value of things (and amount of living merchants) who went in and out of your embark zone.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 12:22:32 am »

Sensei is right. If the caravan has an adamantine artifact, and it got crushed, expect retribution and lots of it, whereas a single merchant with a single piece of granite wouldn't be missed.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 01:10:59 am »

Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Sigged

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 06:30:43 am »

Usually killing just one caravan isn't enough for them to get angry with you. This is a pretty good exploit, because the amount of cloth you get from that caravan will be worth enough to legally buy anything you like from the next ten caravans.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 10:10:46 am »

Usually killing just one caravan isn't enough for them to get angry with you. This is a pretty good exploit, because the amount of cloth you get from that caravan will be worth enough to legally buy anything you like from the next ten caravans.

While true, you don't get export wealth from this because you didn't create the items yourself. I think.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2 3