Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: At the Mountains of Madness  (Read 4426 times)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
At the Mountains of Madness
« on: August 03, 2010, 09:09:16 pm »

So Guillermo Del Toro And James Cameron are going to recreate one of HP Lovecraft's best stories in 3D. With Guillermo directing, and Cameron Producing.

So any thoughts? Could it be a flop, The greatest thing ever, or drive everyone who sees it insane?

Sources (there's a lot of them): http://english.ohmygore.com/guillermo-del-toro-james-cameron-and-at-the-moutains-of-madness-news-uk-7356.html
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/07/29/guillermo-del-toro-finally-arrives-at-the-mountains-of-madness-best-movie-news-of-the-year/

literally just search google and it turns up a lot
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: At the Mountains of Madness
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:13:56 pm »

Cameron better not screw this up. I love H.P. Lovecraft stories, and I love Cameron films. But after he did Avatar and got caught up in crazy SFX, I have become worried. Also, I want Christopher Walken to be cast in this film. If anyone can pull off good crazy, it's him.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:17:10 pm »

Wh...How...

I'm unsure how I feel about this. I don't know how they're going to pull it off or if they even can. I'm not sure it can be done while maintaining the feel of the original story. They'll probably end up making the ending of the story the main focus.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:18:44 pm »

Del Toro has talked about wanting to do this movie for a long time, but no one would bite. Cameron is the one that finally did.

I have no doubts about Del Toro. But I worry that Cameron won't know when to stay out of it as a producer, and we're going to end up with a CGI monstrosity shoved down our throats in the first 30 mins.

Either way, any exposure for Lovecraft stories is a good thing IMO, especially since all he's ever gotten is B (or C or D) movie treatment. I just hope the tension and, well, the Lovecraftiness gets retained, and isn't spoiled by a bunch of big name actors and over done CGI.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 09:28:50 pm »

I worry that the horror will be seen. It is something that needs to stay unseen for my imagination.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:29:48 pm »

If anyone can do it it's Del Toro.  I'm optimistic.
Shoes...

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 09:31:47 pm »

wow so it has finally become true.
A Lovecraft movie that is not a b movie.

I love HPL, he is one of my two favorite authors, but I just can't imagine a Cameron Lovecraft adaption at the moment.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 09:33:09 pm »

I dunno about Del Toro, Hellboy movies were one big pile of trash for me. He did pan's labyrint though, which was sweet, so I dunno.

Then there's Cameron  ::)

I'm only afraid this will turn into a live action doll pseudo horror thing, since Del Toro just loooooooves glueing oddly coloured rubber to his actors. And I don't think super mega CG would really fit in either. Lovecraft's horror is more of a "there's horrible things out there and there's almost nothing we can do about it" rather then "there's a creepy guy in a shoggoth costume and a CG character chasing us through generic dramatic escape scene!" thing.

I'm also hoping they won't totally butcher the plot to insert obvious love interest girls and super heroic movie ending escape scene.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:35:35 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:37:16 pm »

Given that Dark Corners Of The Earth showed us an accurate Shoggoth, I have a small measure of hope for this. After the money Avatar raked in, Cameron could demand any budget from the studio and get it without question. I hope he doesn't mess this up, but he most likely will. Lowest Common Denominator-ization, here we come...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:48:48 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:45:51 pm »

The shoggoth in that game was rather well done, IE it wasn't a blob of tentacles, more like a huge almost amorphous mass of tentacles, eyes, teeh and claws that makes scary noises and wants to eat you. I sorta liked the flying polyp more though, that one was genuinely creepy.

I'm trying to refrain from being totally skeptic, but I dunno if they can make a movie that can convey the same creepy factor the novels deliver. I don't think I ever saw a movie by Del Toro or Cameron that I could consider scary in any way, except for pan's labyrint, and then only some moments here and there.

Like, look at The Colour From Out of Space, there's no eldritch abomination around in it, but the obscureness of the plot and the fact that you see it all from the view of a actual character (so you don't get a magical explanation from anything unless the characters gets some too) helps to make it all really creepy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:51:28 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 09:50:55 pm »

The shoggoth are a very usable concept, being that they just form whatever they need from their cellular mass. Or somthing like that. Running low on SAN here, shouldn't think about it.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 09:59:31 pm »

Whatever the end result, always keep in mind one fact: It could be worse; it could be a Syfy channel original. (Sharktopus! duhn duhn derp...)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:10:05 pm »

Whatever the end result, always keep in mind one fact: It could be worse; it could be a Syfy channel original. (Sharktopus! duhn duhn derp...)

QFT.

Basically, the whole movie rests on setting up the terror and the unknown in a believable and compelling way. That's why Lovecraft works. He lulls you into this false sense of security with all his prim and proper, long winded prose. You connect with the characters and then BAM! indescribable horror gets shot into the mix.

It remains to be seen if Hollywood appreciates subtlety enough to respect that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: [1] 2 3 4