Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress: Margionally complex, but mostly just detailed  (Read 13138 times)

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress: Margionally complex, but mostly just detailed
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 05:12:17 pm »

A tutorial might be a good use of the "campaign" or "mission" mechanics that have been mentioned various times. 

Like:
"King Cacame Awsome III has sent you to manage the outpost of Axebridged.  The previous overseer got the the basics set up before taking a magma bath, but we need you to prepare the fortress for new migrants. 
-Build X additional decent quality bedrooms
-make Y stone crafts and paste these cut gems we have all over them
-trade stone crafts for an anvil and set up a smelting operation
-etc

It might be kindof lame but I think breaking common tasks into simple objectives would be like a stairway up the learning cliff.  I never really had trouble with all the different rocks, but it took a long time for me to figure out why I had a bunch of coal sitting around but my smelters still needed fuel and many fortresses past before I realized I couldn't make a rock barrel. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 05:37:05 pm »

I think one of the biggest problems (apart from the whole ASCII/crappy UI thing) is that the game really has no goals. You don't get any objectives, you're just dropped into a zone and told to build whatever you want.

That can probably confuse a lot of people. A good tutorial would probably be a set of levels where you get one or two simple objectives, maybe starting from an already halfway built fortress. For example, you might get the goal of irrigating a room, then building a farm. Or you may be told to find magma and build magma forges, then use them to arm your soldiers.

The levels would, of course, be arranged in a way that they teach basic things ("dig a tunnel here") at first, then move on to the more complex details. In fact if you think about it, this is probably something someone could create using a set of savegames and text instructions, maybe accompanied with a video or pictures... if someone had a -lot- of time to waste, that is.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 06:01:23 pm »

The levels would, of course, be arranged in a way that they teach basic things ("dig a tunnel here") at first, then move on to the more complex details. In fact if you think about it, this is probably something someone could create using a set of savegames and text instructions, maybe accompanied with a video or pictures... if someone had a -lot- of time to waste, that is.

Doesn't this pretty much describe the "Let's Play" tutorials we already have?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 02:19:11 am »

Possibly a how to X set of pages on the wiki and a decent overview of all the menus would be enough for most players. There is already an interface category but I don't think it has enough in it for a new player.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 03:04:24 am »

I think one of the biggest problems (apart from the whole ASCII/crappy UI thing) is that the game really has no goals. You don't get any objectives, you're just dropped into a zone and told to build whatever you want.

Didn't do sim city any bad.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 03:10:29 am »

Didn't do sim city any bad.

Simcity continuously throws goals in front of you (despite peoples claims it's goalless) in the form of things your people need to grow. Once you have farming sorted and some form of defence this isn't true of DF.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 03:57:01 am »

Nobles.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 03:58:14 am »

Nobles.

Hardly, they are either simple to forfill or impossible to forfill. Not really much of a goal state. Besides. Magma.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 04:17:43 am »

It took me an hour or two of play to immerse myself in the graphics but other than that I never thought the game was terribly hard to do- but people think Paradox Interactive games are hard too..*shrug*

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 01:41:40 pm »

Doesn't this pretty much describe the "Let's Play" tutorials we already have?
It is, except for the fact that, as far as I know, those are videos. Being told to "watch this video of a guy building a farm" is not the same as being told to "take this save game, load it up and build a farm". A lot of things don't become apparent or problematic until you actually sit down and play the game.

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 02:31:47 pm »

DF needs more "Interesting Decisions" that can have long term effects on the fortress.  Choosing between a mason and a soldier or prioritizing food over tradegoods can be an interesting decision.  Deciding on how to layout the fort can be an interesting decision.

Complexity is fun when it involves the interesting decisions.  Complexity is bad when it gets in the way of making interesting decisions.  For example, some of the Farming suggestions include adding crop rotations, fertilization, irrigation, pesticides, etc, in an effort to make farming more complex.  But how do any of these suggestions add any interesting decisions to the game?  Is fertilization just set up once on a schedule, like the different crop seasons?  Or does fertilization need to be micromanaged? 

Back in 1971, Nolan Bushnell of Atari said, "All the best games are easy to learn, and difficult to master," a design philosophy now treated as instinctual by nearly every designer in the industry.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 07:44:25 pm »

You have a very large list of things you can do, and no (ingame) guide on how to use them, resulting in the "what the fark should I even be doing" reaction from new players, which is only made worse by the inefficient menu system and the fact the whole game is ASCII.

The in-game manual still exists, you know.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 08:21:43 pm »

It is, except for the fact that, as far as I know, those are videos. Being told to "watch this video of a guy building a farm" is not the same as being told to "take this save game, load it up and build a farm". A lot of things don't become apparent or problematic until you actually sit down and play the game.

I always thought people would actually spawn the worlds, and pause the video, and copy the actions they saw themselves to learn the tools.  I thought that was the whole point of it.

Then again, I don't really like video tutorials, so when I was new, I just used the wiki alone to explain to me what every function I had under my command would be, and then went and built a fort with that knowledge, making sure to refer back to the wiki whenever I was trying something new.

Complexity is fun when it involves the interesting decisions.  Complexity is bad when it gets in the way of making interesting decisions.  For example, some of the Farming suggestions include adding crop rotations, fertilization, irrigation, pesticides, etc, in an effort to make farming more complex.  But how do any of these suggestions add any interesting decisions to the game?  Is fertilization just set up once on a schedule, like the different crop seasons?  Or does fertilization need to be micromanaged? 

You should probably put this in the Improved Farming thread itself, since this is directly relates to the way that that specific thread will be implimented.

To respond to the questions, however, the problems with current food production are several: The initial complaint was that you could essentially feed an entire fort with a single farmer and a tiny farm, although that has since been pushed to a less prominant spot in the thread.  The other is that crops are currently fairly unrealistic, simplistic, and easy.

Currently, we only have 6 types of underground crops and 15 kinds of aboveground crops, including the three that have specific good/evil/savage requirements.  Even this tiny number of crops is filled with redundancies, because strawberries are exactly the same thing as prickle berries except prickle berries are worth less.  Nothing distinguishes most crops that are food crops, they all have the same required amount of care and upkeep (none except planting and picking), they all but Pig Tails and Plump Helmets have the same growing periods (41.6667 game days), aboveground, they even all grow all year long, and none of them require any more planning or infrastructure than making the land muddy once.  So even the limited number of crops we have are already redundant, and farming is of absolutely no concern after your first month, when you are trying to get the soil muddied for the first time.  (A task that, aboveground, is as easy as simply putting a screw pump next to a murky pool, and manually powering it.)

The purpose of the Improved Farming arc is to make farming a far more involved and scalable project. 

Fertilizers, at least as far as I have explained them, (and to which Toady has given some vague support, calling it "reasonable enough",) would be more of an industry than a button-push micromanagement.  I am no fan of tedius micromanagment.  The system, however, does involve careful consideration of when and how much to fertilize, as fertilizers can easily acidify soil, choke the plants in an excess of "Biomass", or, if we are even more realistic, even "burn" plants with an excess of nitrogen (or cause them to spend too much of their energy on leaves rather than fruits, lowering total yield).  Fertilizers would hopefully be managed by a farming manager system that would allow you to schedule various tasks for farmers to take per field, on multi-year cycles, so that once you obtain a stable state, you could allow a field to run largely autonomously, barring some sort of outside disaster (see: crop diseases or pest infestations) requiring manual oversight.

The system encourages the deliberate building up of soil conditions, as well as infrastructure for the care of crops.  Several planned crops are "rock breaker" crops that are designed to first build up the soil, especially if one is farming on mere wet stone.  Soil pH must be aligned to specific crops - some prefer highly acidic soil, some prefer alkaline soil, while most prefer just mildly acidic soil.  Biomass (the measure of how much "dead, rotting stuff") matters for plants, as well: Mushrooms need as much of it as possible, as they are not photosynthetic, and rely upon said dead stuff.  Some plants form symbiotic relationships with soil bacteria that rot dead things, such as peanuts, which then can use those bacteria to perform nitrogen fixation, a necessary step in crop rotation.  Others will actually just be choked by the chemicals that an overabundance of soil bacteria will cause, and require less biomass in the soil.

Toady, in that post, again gave some vague support for the idea of not simply having your dwarves merely bucket-brigade the soil to water it, or merely dig ditches, but to use a "sprinkler system" derived from the pipes that we are getting in the Improved Mechanics arc.  This would necessarily require the engineering of a repeatably usable water source, and the care to realize that not all crops consume water at the same time, but also will drown when overwatered, as if you simply flooded the fields as if you were muddying them.  As your farmlands necessarily expand to feed your greater number of dwarves, while at the same time, the number of different crops it takes to feed them to avoid pests (see below) increases, the complexity of this system also increases.

Perhaps more relevant to making "interesting decisions", however, as you grow more of a given type of crop, they are more likely to lure pests specific to that one species of crop.  Like the boll weevil that killed the cotton crop, or the potato blight that caused the great Irish Potato Famine, overrelliance upon any single crop sets you up for disaster if a pest or disease spreads between your under-diversified crops.  The intent of this is to encourage players to try to find a way to blend more crops into their lineups, which in turn, require more careful adjustments to the soil, as different crops have different soil quality requirements.  The exciting part of it is that as your farms grow to be able to feed more dwarves, this means that you have to adapt fields to being able to support more diverse types of crops to avoid attracting devastating pests, or at least mitigating their damage if they do arrive.  This, in turn, means that you have to develop more complex means of regulating soil conditions to the individual finicky needs of every specific crop, especially as similar crops or soil conditions tend to bring similar kinds of pests.

Is any of this an "Interesting Decision"?  Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I certainly am fascinated by it.  But "Interesting" is ultimately a subjective term.  Personally, I'm not interested in seiges.  I'd much rather DF be focused upon the societal modeling aspect of the game, as well as its engineering aspects.  But it doesn't hurt me much to let the mechanics reset the cage traps and unjam the weapon traps every few months if that means other people enjoy the game more because of it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 10:32:17 am »

-snip-

Is any of this an "Interesting Decision"?  Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I certainly am fascinated by it.  But "Interesting" is ultimately a subjective term.  Personally, I'm not interested in seiges.  I'd much rather DF be focused upon the societal modeling aspect of the game, as well as its engineering aspects.  But it doesn't hurt me much to let the mechanics reset the cage traps and unjam the weapon traps every few months if that means other people enjoy the game more because of it.

The problem that arises from this is that most people don't in fact want to spend a lot of time on farming.  I'd much prefer to keep the current system and play with sieges.  The more complex he makes each feature the more time it takes from the tasks others want to do.  If he does a similar scale revamp of the trap mechanics then you won't be able to just "reset the cage traps and unjam the weapon traps every few months."  You might have to make different trap types for different creatures, clean regularly to make sure they will activate when needed to, sanitize them after use so they don't bring disease to your fortress, come up with a logical reason why the traps won't hurt your men but will for others or build a separate system for friendlies, have regular repairs made to the traps that need it, or any other huge variety of things that might be added.

The more complexity he adds to different fields means more time forced to spent on that task.  Your farming suggestions would mean I would have to spend a huge time on farming (Which does not sound interesting to me).  If he adds that level of complexity to every field then it will become micromanagement for EVERYTHING.  Complexity is only good until it stops being practical.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:48:05 am by Umi »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 10:43:23 am »

You probably shouldn't just quote the entirity of something that long...

The problem that arises from this is that most people don't in fact want to spend a lot of time on farming.  I'd much prefer to keep the current system and play with sieges.  The more complex he makes each feature the more time it takes from the tasks others want to do.  If he does a similar scale revamp of the trap mechanics then you won't be able to just "reset the cage traps and unjam the weapon traps every few months."  You might have to make different trap types for different creatures, clean regularly to make sure they will activate when needed to, sanitize them after use so they don't bring disease to your fortress, come up with a logical reason why the traps won't hurt your men but will for others or build a separate system for friendlies, have regular repairs made to the traps that need it, or any other huge variety of things that might be added.

This is exactly what he intends to do, as per a GREAT many requests to do so, because most players feel that laying down fields of traps are far too easy and completely undermine the whole notion of having a military.  From the devpages:

Improved Mechanics
  • Better traps
  • Stone traps should require the stone be placed above the tile that is targeted
  • Stones should be able to roll (perhaps if they are started from or land on a ramp tile)
  • Weapon traps should be multi-tile and require a spring or other potential energy source -- automatic resetting should require some explicit establishment of a feasible mechanism
  • Large pipe sections -- walk on them or crawl inside them, allow passage for fluids
  • Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)
  • Waterproof axles through some mechanism
  • Rock grinders? Fans? We'll do some other machines around this time -- whichever feasible ones are the most entertaining for dwarves and treasure hunters
See this thread for some of the implications of that.

The more complexity he adds to different fields means more time forced to spent on that task.  Your farming suggestions would mean I would have to spend a huge time on farming (Which does not sound interesting to me).  If he adds that level of complexity to every field then it will become micromanagement for EVERYTHING.  Complexity is only good until it stops being practical.

Will things become more difficult and complex?  GOOD!  As I've said before, this game is far too simple and boring, largely based around a few routine maintainance tasks, already.

Does this mean that the systems I am proposing require constant micromanagement?  Absolutely not, as I have made explicit with the management system that allows well-planned and carefully thought out systems of agriculture to be essentially automated, as I don't like minor tedium.  Player intervention is required only when problems arise within the system.

With luck, Toady WILL extend this complexity to a great many other aspects of the game, making it interesting even beyond the setup of immediate survival necessities, rather than focusing upon simply making the game track ear lobe puffiness stats.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6