Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapons vs training weapons.  (Read 10670 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapons vs training weapons.
« on: August 04, 2010, 01:20:59 am »

Alright, fumbling my way through the military now. Not so bad, once you read way too much.

Is there a way to set one weapon for training, and another for actual weapons? Would dwarves do this automatically if I assigned both?

I'm not above thinking that dorfs don't think to hit gobbos with their legendary Hacknslash The Skullsplitter, but dumb down to Nerfy McBlunto for their friends.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons vs training weapons.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:22:20 am »

you can make "training axe", etc, out of wood. It's its own weapon, not a designation or somesuch.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:28:49 am »

I hate training weapons.

The military doesn't always use them anyway and just walk into the barracks with their steel weapons. Which is okay I guess since they just stand around demonstrating dodging to eachother instead of sparr. or they all clutter to do "individual training" and ignore EVERYTHING ELSE including direct orders to save the civilians.

So I thought feh, training weapons! who needs them. and then the military finally decided to fight and what do I notice? Urist McElf got to choose his weapon in the equipment window and he really liked dat wooden training sword. but I tell you the iron-clad goblins liked the wooden sword MUCH more than Urist would ever do...

... and not long after this I atomsmashed every last training weapon. On the few occasions that my military sparrs; they do so in iron or steel armor. if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:57:43 am »

I just use real weapons for sparring. For a few in game years that my military has been active, not one accident has happened, and mind you, i use adamantine weps. Dwarves in the newer version are more careful sparring than they used to be.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 02:17:52 am »

I just use real weapons for sparring. For a few in game years that my military has been active, not one accident has happened, and mind you, i use adamantine weps. Dwarves in the newer version are more careful sparring than they used to be.
This.

Raw recruits, no armor, steel axes, no injuries so far. It's been 5 years.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 02:56:53 am »

Ahh. Alright, then these are going on the next caravan. I imagine they'll be implemented properly later.

The onbly time I ever paid much attention to military aside from "you, go to the barracks and pick out whatever you want" was in 40D when I first grabbed the game, and everyone immediately had accidents.

Seriously, it's like handing a kid a nerf bat.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 06:46:05 am »

You should be able to check the combat reports for sparring, press r if you don't know how to check.  It's filled with Urist Mcaxelord lightly taps Urista Mcexfishdissector with his *Adamantine battle axe*.  I don't think it's even possible to hurt anyone while training now.  Unless you channel pits into your barracks so that dodging dwarfs will randomly fall into them.

Lucky military is best military.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 06:50:54 am »

I had some guys fight Ettins with training axe, and spar with steel axe, i didn't check if it was the exact same guys, but they were in the same squad, all equiped with the same uniform. In any case you can check the fighting report to see what they use when sparing or fighting.
So now i just give training weapons to recruit and take them when they got some skills.

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 08:36:33 am »

I also don't bother at all with training weapons.  I have had a similar experience as others with regard to sparring.  They won't do it at lower skill levels so you may have to wait a while before anyone starts sparring.  But when they do start, they spar often and never seem to injure each other.

And yes, this is quite a change from the 40d days where training would lead to dwarves lopping off each others heads or piercing each others spines.

KD

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 12:01:35 pm »

I usually make training weapons, just so I can start skilling up my military ASAP, until my metal industry gets going.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 12:11:49 pm »

I've never used training weapons until 31.12 when it took about 5 years for my dabbling dwarves to gain 3-4 levels in axedwarf.  So, I decided to give the "live combat training" with wooden weapons a try and it worked miraculously.  I made 2 uniforms: one specifying wooden weapons for training and one specifying steel axes.  For regular training and "live combat training" I'd use the wood axe uniform.  When I had an ambush party approach, I switched uniforms and they all promptly swapped their wooden axes for the real deal to dish out some real damage.  Worked pretty smoothly.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 11:33:33 pm »

Sparring injuries have been reduced again? That's disappointing. I didn't mind them being toned down from 40d levels, but this is after reducing them once and providing two new ways to avoid injury, in the form of training weapons and demonstrations. I wonder if people were whining because of the bug where dwarves with very minor sparring injuries flopped on the floor to be rescued made them think that their dwarves were actually hurting eachother and not just being pansies.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.