Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To catch a hippo.  (Read 1772 times)

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
To catch a hippo.
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:52:42 pm »

So my current fort is built next to a lake that takes up 3/4's of the map.  Its quite pleasant, if a little quiet. (Only civ that can reach me are the dwarves). Early on I caught 3 elephants, tamed them then found out they're all male :( I would like very much to breed them.

However about two in-game years ago some hippos (also all male :| ) migrated in and have set up camp out in the middle of my lake. I would like to capture and/or kill these hippos. So that the elephants, giant cheetas and other large beast will once again roam about the land. Any sugestions on what I can do to lure them into a trap? If nothing else works I'll simply remove their brains from the raws, but only as a last resort.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: To catch a hippo.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:29:42 pm »

Get something flammable, put it in a magma-safe bin, add magma, repeat a few times for good measure, and drain the lake with your everburning torches.  8)

The part the hippos are in, that is. Then you just lay some cage traps in a circle and wait for steppage.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:32:46 pm by Saposhiente »
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To catch a hippo.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 11:39:46 pm »

I think also that you can build a small enclosure from fortifications within crossbow range of the hippos, make a long bottleneck exit from the enclosure (a few tiles spaces long).  Fill the bottleneck with cage traps.  Then have a dwarf go inside the enclosure and start shooting the hippos with bone or wooden crossbow bolts through the fortifications.  See if the hippo does not charge into the enclosure and get caged.

I can't promise this will work, OC.  The hippos might just run away for all I know (I believe in earlier versions they would chaaaarge).  Also there is a chance the hippos will die to crossbow fire, but I am hoping wooden bolts won't hurt them too terribly bad before they reach the cage trap. :)