Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: ...Wait, the Queen wants *what*? - parallel challenge game, all skill levels!  (Read 38629 times)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You thought it would be yet another normal day in the Mountainhome - a day filled with hard work and large mugs of ale.

Then you were approached by a certain dwarf. A dwarf known to all as the advisor to the Queen. He eyes you warily as you finish your last lunch-break drink and stops you as you turn to go back to work, muttering something under his breath - you're pretty sure it's both about you, and not complimentary. He hands you a sealed stone tablet.

"The Queen has new orders for you, dwarf. To be carried out immediately."

He hurries off, and you break open the seal, reading the contents with mixed emotions. The instructions are clear - the Queen wants a new outpost, and you have been chosen to lead the exploration and building team. It is the end of these orders that chills you - whereas most outposts are more or less allowed their own autonomy, you shall be joined by one of her advisors/clerks to "make sure that the outpost is up to standard should I ever care to visit". This clerk will be in constant communication with the queen, it appears - although how remains unclear. Possibly something to do with her penchant for breeding cave-swallows...

With a last longing look at the empty mug before you, you walk off to find six hardy souls to accompany you to what the Queen has named Oslanzim, or "Windcrested".

So, how this works! I had this idea while watching a friend bow to the whims of someone who hadn't played DF before but was ordering him around. It was amusing and snarky. "Huts made of wood!" "Yes m'lord..."

The idea is relatively simple: Each participant takes a copy of the save - Oslanzim is abandoned, so a simple reclaim should do the trick. They set up their starting 7 as they want, and go to work as per usual. The kicker: Every now and then the "Queen's Advisor" will receive orders directly from the queen of a feature that needs to be implemented. This could be as simple as "A statue in the dining room" to "A grand fall of magma flowing into a moat". Once the order is given, the fort has one year to implement it (subject to the insanity of the whim). The way that the orders are interpreted are entirely up to you!

Combined with the randomness of migrant waves, sieges, moods, etc, I believe this would create many wonderfully different forts and be a great way to show different building styles and coping mechanisms. What is done between orders if you have extra time is also completely up to you. ^^

If you are unable to complete one of the Queen's mandates, you are no longer considered eligible to win the challenge. The winner of the challenge (if we ever get to that point XD) is the last one standing who has been able to fulfill all of the Queen's whims, and possibly have drawn her there themselves. I'll be playing the advisor for now, but if this is popular and another round sounds like a good idea I'll be quite happy to pass on 'advisorship' to another player.

I hope to see both players having fun, and dwarves having FUN. Logging what happens in between mandates is encouraged to add flavour to each fort, and regular updates will be part of the enjoyment of the challenge. It's more of a journey game than a destination game.

The area is friendlyish for the first round since I didn't want to plonk a new idea in the middle of a glacier. Maybe next round... ;)

The game version being used is 0.31.12, no mods, but aquifers have been removed in the raws. The area should be relatively friendly to all skill-levels, there's ground-floor magma, sedimentary flux, sand and soil galore in a 3x3 embark (hopefully fps friendly enough).

The save has been released, it's at the bottom of this post.

Note: Because each copy of the fort has the same name, to keep confusion to a minimum I think logs should be edited into the first post of each player, and that way we will know which version of Oslanzim is being played by which person. Chatter etc can continue as normal. Each log entry could get its own spoiler tags for easy at-a-glance updates.

Set up phase = around two in game years while the advisor lets the queen know you arrived safely and waits for his first orders.

Update: 10th August 2010: First of the Queen's wishes made, post is here.

Update: 16th August 2010: Second of the Queen's wishes made, post is here.

Update: 23rd August 2010: Queen's third wishes made, post is here. Website shall be updated tomorrow.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:50:10 pm by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alrighty, my fort will be a little behind for a while, but I want to at least attempt to keep up with you. Only just started it and the first demand's already gone out. XD

Spoiler: Spring 52, arrival (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Limestone 53 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Felsite 54 (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:07:16 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you do know that reclaim suposedly messes with HFS and the mud in caverns...

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

Oh, I'm sooooooooooooo in on this. And I want a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon cat to go with it, but I'll take what I get.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile

Sounds fun. I'll try to find some time to participate. :)
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Year 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Year 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Year 3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Year 4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Year 5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Year 6 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Year 7 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 06:19:20 pm by SethCreiyd »

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile

Game Version? if its 40D , i'll sign up for it(the Latest DF is too confusing)

Otherwise , Its a No

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Game Version? if its 40D , i'll sign up for it(the Latest DF is too confusing)

Otherwise , Its a No

Sorry, it's 0.31.12. And thanks to the people who have responded! There's no 'places' as such to fill because you're all working on your own forts. ^^ We'll see how much more interest we get before it starts.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

This sounds like potential for fun, of many sorts hehe. Im in!

Edit I: Grabbed save, and layed a foundation for a fortress. Will continue later, with some progress logs.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:17:57 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

BilbyCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huts made of wood!  Outside!  TRAVESTY!  AND WE HAD PERFECTLY GOOD STONE!  *whimper* *cry*

The Queen can't be any worse that that insane [censored] [oops, better keep it up] [nope can't print that either] with a corkscrew made of iron!

So yeah, I'm in.

Surprised?

[EDIT]
1st Log Entry
And we are away.

Fortress introductory post can be found here:
Windcrested - Introduction

First Log post: (A version with images can be found here: 1st Log Entry
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second Log Post:

Third log post

Fourth Log Post:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:59:44 am by BilbyCoder »

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile

31.12 is not my Favor , But i'll try and see if i can Do some Shit with the Latest Version and Slowly understand the New Interface

Signing up , since you said that Even Someone from 40D that just upgraded and is totally confused at that new interface can still join

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

I'm in, though I probably won't get a chance to start before Sunday.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile

Fun idea, I'll join.
If sad, apply kittens.

ray10k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

sounds interesting, and a good challenge to deal with on a first community game (given it doesn't matter how hard you [...] up, you only affect your own work)

sign me up!

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do what the queen *says*? That's madness! I'm in!

Year 1:

Year 2:

Year 3:

Year 4:

Year 5:

Year 6:

Year 7:
Spoiler: I couldn't wait... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:18:08 am by barconis »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16